Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Here you go mateDSR = SR + SUM{(36+Par-SR-CPA-mh-b-S)/(m'h+b')2} / {SUM(1/(m'h+b')2) + 1/CSD2}You show us where it's wrong and give us your better version so we can all rest easy.
    I got you the first time.

Although i dont know how to improve it, that formula often gets it completely wrong on the day.

Im more interested in how you justify your faith in it, particularly in the face of the points I made that you ignored.

An improvement would be to use the 12th percentile score on the day.....

While i'm at it there is no way an algorithm can acurately determine an ACR. This is the obvious place GA should be applying their millions of historical rounds.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Maybe we've all given up.

Just know that when the conditions do get tough you'll at least be able to play to your handicap, whereas the guys affecting DSR will fall away.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Maybe we've all given up.
    I agree with this, while at the same time thinking that I probably shouldn't have taken much notice of the previous handicap systems either.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

How many of you blokes pissed and moaned like toddlers when there was no daily rating?#itoldyouso

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    I think the daily rating is unwarranted.
    Yep
    Forum needs more banter.

I think that it evens itself out and/or your handicap adjusts accordingly. People also only tend to remember the tough days, not the easy ones.
    Indeed
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

How many of you blokes pissed and moaned like toddlers when there was no daily rating?#itoldyouso
    Pissed yes its your shout! What the ~@#$ would you know or care about this shit as you shot 72 every week on a decent track? Bet you have never spoken to playing partners about dsr!

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

No complaints here. It's just the usual spring combination of fast fairways and slow greens.

Thus, the PCGs are getting closer to the green, having approach shots that don't run off the far side and then hamfistedly smash the ball at the hole.

On the upside, multiple rounds of 35 and 37 points has seen my playing handicap blow out to 13, the highest in 4 years. (It would have been 14, except for closing with three 3 pointers on Wed.)

PCG = Participation Certificate Golfers.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Being serious for a moment are golf clubs that are using couch or other fine leaf grasses making it more difficult for better players and easier for choppers due to the ball running further? With no decent fringes so that choppers can use putters from 40ft? Or have I had a few too many stubbies

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

the only thing i can think of that contributes to our course's low rating is that they've cut the rough around the greens pretty short. it used to be thick Kikuyu and rye grass surrounding greens and all you'll see is people duffing chips left, right and centre. members (mainly higher handi's) were complaining saying that "this isn't the us open" and so forth and probably gave the poor greenkeepers a mouth full.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'd just like to point out that at Ballina yesterday 9 players recorded 39 points or better. 6 of them were A Graders. Burglars, the lot of them.

It all evens out over time. If it didn't, all the low handicappers would be stuck on their anchors after recording lots of 36 point scores.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I am not overly bothered by the new system (though I do agree it disadvantages lower handicappers) so I am a bit flummoxed that some clubs have A grade up to 18 hcp, WTF! Ours is 0-12 and even that's too high IMO, we have too few B graders and the 10-12 markers have a significant advantage over the proper golfers.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Monthly medal today ... I'm playing tomorrow, but the winning scores in A and B were 65, 68 in C. I agree it all evens out.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I wonder what GA's algorithm would have made of Spieth's 63? Probably would have returned a DSR of 73

Hurstville's rating is a joke. Again yesterday the course rated 5 under par (2 under the ACR) thanks to the C graders. Of all the A graders who play there, all would have a higher handicap if they played Hurstville exclusively. I just did a calc on a scratch marker from Liverpool who was in the Hurstville pennant team last year. If you just took his Hurstville scores, he'd be off 2. So he finds Liverpool 2 shots easier on his handicap than Hurstville.
    He played Hurstville yesterday and shot even par (pretty good as he's only shot under par once in his 17 handicapped rounds at Hurstville). The thing is, it's a played to 5!
    Is it any wonder there are no low markers at Hurstville? Low markers who want to get their handicap down simply can't play there. If the scratch marker wants to play to his handicap, he needs 5 under! Good luck when the bloke's PB at the course is 2 under!
    Surely the daily stroke rating which adjusts the SCRATCH rating should be heavily biased towards what the low markers are shooting. The volatile C graders should have little impact on the DSR.

p.s our trainee pro who was a Liverpool member with a PB played to of +4.1 at Liverpool has a PB played to of 2.1 at Hurstville. 6.2 shots worse! He played nicely for a 1 under par 69 yesterday........played to 4! JOKE!
    Last edited by Rodent; 5th December 2014 at 12:33 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

yep I was a member at Hurstville for 2 years before the handicap changeover... and even then it was hard for low markers. The course is relatively short so the old guys can bump it up, knock it on and two putt for 4 a 4 all day. Low markers may be able to drive a few greens but the condition around the greens and the greens themselves are never great so tough to score. It was very frustrating. I shot 2 over there one day playing off 8 at the time and didn't even win a ball in the Saturday comp!!

At that time I actually followed Peter O'Malley around there in a Pro Am organised by Wayne Riley. He flushed it all day and shot 2 under 69 and won the day. He came out the next week at the Masters at the Victorian and shot 4 under. I saw him at the Masters and made comment about how his round was better than at Hurstville and he just quipped the greens were running a little truer at Vic!

hopefully with all this rain in sydney it will make hacks struggle to get 45+ points, let alone 36, with saturated fairways. if the DSR still rates lower than the ACR there's seriously some big flaws in the new system

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Medal today, the farmers come out.

still rated 69 on a MEDAL day with saturated fairways (literally no roll). how are you ever going to get your handicap down?????

Shooting nett 68 or lower?

alright no worries ill just shoot even par or under off the stick to play to my handicap seems pretty easy i guess

Medal day at Hurstville yesterday and the DSR was 67 on a par 70. 1 under the ACR of 68. Given the system allows for the DSR to be anywhere from 65 to 72, how come it's almost always below the ACR and NEVER rates 71 or 72? The highest I've seen it rate is 70 and that was in winter in the wind and rain in the 2nd round of the club champs!

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    still rated 69 on a MEDAL day with saturated fairways (literally no roll). how are you ever going to get your handicap down?????
    Join somewhere else. Life is too short to play at crap clubs.
    Forum needs more banter.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Medal yesterday for us as well. ACR 72. DSR was 70, lowest score was a great round by an A grader having -1 (66 nett), 68 nett and 69 nett for A grade, B grade winner was 71 nett and C a 73 nett.

Still rated at 70 even though out of 92 players, only 9 players beat their handicap (10%)

It just doesnt make a lot of sense to me

Senior Member Major Winner

Yesterday's medal results. A graders killing the DSR. How are the C graders supposed to lower their handicaps?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417939273.049905.jpg

Thread Information