Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1157
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys.I'll try to address the issues and questions raised. My intention is to use the tablet on my overseas trip (or trips, if this one is a success), not at home. While at home, I rarely use my phone as anything else but a phone and to monitor email. I usually do anything slightly complex on my PC.While overseas, I intend to depend upon wi-fi most of the time. From what I can see, and from previous experience in 2011, wi-fi is almost everywhere, and it is definitely free of charge in the hotels I'm staying at. Even more relevantly, it is free at all the airports I'll be spending a lot of time in, so I figured a larger screen would do the job when I have plenty of opportunity to find a desk or table to settle down at.That scenario explains my second question, about downgrading to a cheaper phone, one that I can use as a phone and as a camera, but not for other stuff.By the way, I've learned that when enquiring about these things, one should be very careful in phrasing a question about 7 inches versus 10 inches.Sorry to threadjack a bit, but Benno, what did you do regarding a US Sim or data arrangement? From my research, T Mobile seems to offer the best option for a local sim, but you are there right now, so your information is clearly right up to date.
    Jim my wife and I were recently in the US for The Masters.I was able to use my work mobile on the Vodaphone global roaming but we purchased a T Mobile Tourist Pre Paid card for my wife and it was great. Coverage in and around LA and between Atlanta and Augusta was superb and was generally shared between the T Mobile and ATT networks.It gets great write ups on the travel pages such as Trip Adviser and we found it worked exactly as promised.It is limited from memory to 3 weeks so if you will be away longer you may need to look at alternatives.
    Last edited by Steve57; 28th June 2018 at 05:45 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'll try to address the issues and questions raised. My intention is to use the tablet on my overseas trip (or trips, if this one is a success), not at home. While at home, I rarely use my phone as anything else but a phone and to monitor email. I usually do anything slightly complex on my PC.

While overseas, I intend to depend upon wi-fi most of the time. From what I can see, and from previous experience in 2011, wi-fi is almost everywhere, and it is definitely free of charge in the hotels I'm staying at. Even more relevantly, it is free at all the airports I'll be spending a lot of time in, so I figured a larger screen would do the job when I have plenty of opportunity to find a desk or table to settle down at.

That scenario explains my second question, about downgrading to a cheaper phone, one that I can use as a phone and as a camera, but not for other stuff.

By the way, I've learned that when enquiring about these things, one should be very careful in phrasing a question about 7 inches versus 10 inches.

Sorry to threadjack a bit, but Benno, what did you do regarding a US Sim or data arrangement? From my research, T Mobile seems to offer the best option for a local sim, but you are there right now, so your information is clearly right up to date.
    If the tablet is a pc replacement while travelling get a 10 inch with separate keyboard as Bushy described. Its not gonna kill you to carry it around in a backpack if you have to all day.

Unfortunately for you a good camera on a phone comes with all the other bells and whistles.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'll try to address the issues and questions raised. My intention is to use the tablet on my overseas trip (or trips, if this one is a success), not at home. While at home, I rarely use my phone as anything else but a phone and to monitor email. I usually do anything slightly complex on my PC.

While overseas, I intend to depend upon wi-fi most of the time. From what I can see, and from previous experience in 2011, wi-fi is almost everywhere, and it is definitely free of charge in the hotels I'm staying at. Even more relevantly, it is free at all the airports I'll be spending a lot of time in, so I figured a larger screen would do the job when I have plenty of opportunity to find a desk or table to settle down at.

That scenario explains my second question, about downgrading to a cheaper phone, one that I can use as a phone and as a camera, but not for other stuff.

By the way, I've learned that when enquiring about these things, one should be very careful in phrasing a question about 7 inches versus 10 inches.

Sorry to threadjack a bit, but Benno, what did you do regarding a US Sim or data arrangement? From my research, T Mobile seems to offer the best option for a local sim, but you are there right now, so your information is clearly right up to date.
    We went 1 of each. I have ATT, and Linda has T-Mobile. These are the 2 big gsm suppliers.

Plans are similar, and coverage varies. T-Mobile was better in Arizona, ATT better in Florida.

We got the T-M from simcorner, and ATT from datago before we left. They offer an activation service so the sim was ready to go as soon as we turned on our phones in USA. I used the self activation for ATT so I could get my US no a week before I left so I could use it some of our bookings.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Just took my Samsung S8+ to get the screen replaced. It's costing me $340 to replace the front and back screens, but as a bonus they are replacing the battery as well.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I took the plunge and bought a Samsung 10 inch tablet.
    This post is my first real activity using the WiFi. So far so good.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I took the plunge and bought a Samsung 10 inch tablet.
    This post is my first real activity using the WiFi. So far so good.
    Nice work Jimmy!!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Had a tab A for a while now. Does the job.

For mobile I have had good results for tmobile on the west coast of the US.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    For mobile I have had good results for tmobile on the west coast of the US.
    Where’d you go?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Where’d you go?
    Went there a few years back,
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Went there a few years back,
    I hadn’t heard. I would have thought it’d get a mention

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Didn't he go to Portland?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Didn't he go to Portland?
    No that’s where Lefty lives!��
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Ok ozgolf brains trust, I'm after a 10" tablet on a data plan. Apart from Telstra, Optus and Vodafone, is there any other companies doing Samsung or android tablets on a plan??

Thanks

Jeeze Android are dead! I really need to replace my Nexus 7 and really only have Sammy's with a gander! Maybe a surface go???

Got no answer for you bluu
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Jeeze Android are dead! I really need to replace my Nexus 7 and really only have Sammy's with a gander! Maybe a surface go???

Plenty out there in Chinese Android world - Xiaomi, Huawei and plenty of unknowns pumping them out.

As Benno said plenty out there but not many of those sold locally on a plan.

I'm leaning towards a S4 at the moment, but could look at Huawei Mediapad M5.
    Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Plenty out there in Chinese Android world - Xiaomi, Huawei and plenty of unknowns pumping them out.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Ok ozgolf brains trust, I'm after a 10" tablet on a data plan. Apart from Telstra, Optus and Vodafone, is there any other companies doing Samsung or android tablets on a plan??

Thanks
    Why on a data plan? Do people still do this instead of just hotspotting to their phones?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Why on a data plan? Do people still do this instead of just hotspotting to their phones?
    Sure why not....

Nice to see Google coming out with a cheaper option phone! Not that I'm replacing my original pixel any time soon, but I like knowing that there is a cheaper option that's not years old so it will still get updates for a few years. I was happy enough with my old Nexus 5, and to me the most important thing now is a decent enough camera, which it has.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Had my Huawei P30 (non pro) for 24hrs. So far so good. Much faster than the old LG G6.

Spent a bit of time debloating the Huawei apps (via adb), certainly cleans it up.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Had my S9 plus for 6 months before it started playing funny buggers.
    It was getting warm and then the screen was losing touch sensitivity.
    Rang Telstra Business Centre where my company has an account, they told me 7-10 days with no loan phone.
    How am I supposed to run a company without my phone, Bunch of Tossers.
    Rang Samsung, got an appointment within 30 minutes at a store, 14hrs back in my hand with new battery and new screen. No Cost.

If you have a problem with a Samsung, go direct to them.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

What's the go with Android tablets these days? I'm thinking of saving to replace my Nexus 7, but really don't know what to look at! I think is still like something around the 8" form factor. It seems like Sammy is the main one still doing them. Don't wanna spend a fortune though, and don't want something Old in the tooth, using older OS.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

What's the go with Android tablets these days? I'm thinking of saving to replace my Nexus 7, but really don't know what to look at! I think is still like something around the 8" form factor. It seems like Sammy is the main one still doing them. Don't wanna spend a fortune though, and don't want something Old in the tooth, using older OS.
    Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 or Huawei Mediapad M5 8.4" are the best bang for buck in Android land.

Sent from a phone using the crappy tapatalk app

I was wondering about them. But don't you have to do something funny to have stock Android on the Mi Pad. And the M5 can get a bit expensive can't it?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I was wondering about them. But don't you have to do something funny to have stock Android on the Mi Pad. And the M5 can get a bit expensive can't it?
    Not sure TBH, have a MediaPd M3, any havent really looked at upgrading (yet!).

Thread Information