Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1943
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Riding around in circles is stoopid, you don't go anywhere. Maxis Detonator 700c x32 100psi. They seem to me to be fairly thin. There are also more cuts and holes in the tyre than punctures which doesn't impress me either. Titleist, tyre liners seem to me to be a pita to install?
    My first roady came with Detonators, I got a heap of flats with them too. I thought it was normal until I bought some GP4000's and realised the Detonator is just a shit tyre.

GP4000's are a pure roady tyre, but Continental stuff seems to have a pretty good rep, Gatorskins or something like TourRide City might help a bit.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Gettiing pissed off, What's the preferred method of puncture avoiding not including tractor tyres? Of course everything adds to rolling resistance so there is obviously a middle ground. I guess there is tyre liners, green goo and special tyres.

I have one eye open on a pair of these. Seem highly rated.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-mar...oad-city-tyre/
    Not sure why you're so worried about rolling resistance on a hybrid, but I've had Marathons and they were pretty good. Although that was on a MTB and I could count the number of punctures I've had in the last 20 years (both on and off road) on one hand.

Riding around in circles is stoopid, you don't go anywhere. Maxis Detonator 700c x32 100psi. They seem to me to be fairly thin. There are also more cuts and holes in the tyre than punctures which doesn't impress me either. Titleist, tyre liners seem to me to be a pita to install?
    Riding around in circles? If your referring to single track you have the wrong end of the stick it is bush/forest trails as opposed to major roads. I have a maxis refuse on the back of my roady and a continental on the front haven't had a flat yet but have probably only done 500km on them.
    Last edited by oncewasagolfer; 18th December 2012 at 02:59 PM.

I put a couple of cheap Michelin tyres on the mtb hard tail and its like a rocket now so much so that I'm thinking of selling the road bike. I went on a ride with a mate and we swapped bikes and I road his anthem and he had a go of the hard tail he could believe how fast it rolls said he's going to put the anthem on eBay and buy one like mine. This is after years of him telling me what a great bike the anthem is

Depending on the sort of riding you're doing, I think there's still a lot of merit in hardtails. I rode full suspension exclusively from the mid 90's before switching back to a steel hardtail about 4 years ago, and can't imagine myself going back to full suspension again.

For the sort of riding I do these days (mix of urban and trail riding) it is brilliant, despite being heavy with beefy all mountain style wheels. Have just put on some Schwalbe Kojaks for street riding as the wide rims won't take anything smaller than 2"!

Yeah the Michelin tyres are 2.0" wide and were only about $9 each from cyclingexpress have ordered some more for myself and my mate. The dual suspension is awesome on rough climbs but the hardtail is a lot faster on trails or open road. I don't know if I could go back to a steel frame that must be heavy ashes?

Yeah, its not the lightest but then I've never really ridden light mtb's (was into downhill racing for years and am now too heavy to get away with light components). I just love the feel of a steel frame over aluminium or carbon too.

Frame weight is around 5.5lbs. I think total bike weight is roughly 26lb depending on which tyres I run.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by oncewasagolfer View Post
    Riding around in circles? If your referring to single track you have the wrong end of the stick it is bush/forest trails.
    My apologies , I am not up there with the Lycra brigades lingo. Bush trails won't do me much good either. The office is not at the end of them.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    Not sure why you're so worried about rolling resistance on a hybrid.
    I am not worried though. It is obviously an issue for some people so was interested to know how they deal with it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I am not worried though. It is obviously an issue for some people so was interested to know how they deal with it.
    Fair enough. If you're riding for commute/fitness I personally wouldn't worry too much about it (within reason). Shaving a minute off your commute isn't really worth much if punctures are giving you the shits.

Short of a knobbly cyclocross (off-road) type tyre, most options you look at will roll fine.

How are you going with the commute? As you get fitter and faster, are you adding distance or just taking the shorter time as a bonus?

I think i have reached my peak already. I just cruise along now pretty happy with 34 mins for 16 k. I am not gunna bust a gut just to get there a few mins early.
    --
    Handy-Cap

I'd be happy with a commute like that also. Would love to commute by bike but I live 46km from work (and have a car provided)..

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

blakey, I think semi-regular punctures are just one of those things with cycling. There just isn't enough rubber on a road bike tyre to protect against glass and other debris. I used to get a fair few flats when I rode to work along the western fwy bikepath. All the crap would wash off the road and onto the path, so after rain you'd be almost a certainty to get a flat. I think most tyres are ok as long as they have plenty of tread (ie. thick rubber) on them. Something with a kevlar layer probably helps.

I'm running 700x25c Vittoria Rubino Pro3 I picked up cheap from wiggle. They seem ok so far. Only one flat in a couple of months.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

That's pretty much what I am getting. All the crap off the road. I have had about 5 flats already and I don't ride that much. Just waiting to see what Santa brings before I go buying just in case the missus has a change of heart and actually buys something else other than jocks socks or deodorant.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Screw this.

New tube, first day back it work get a puncture half way there, but make it ok.
    New tyres arrive at work same day, so apply tube patch, new tyres on and joy, got to work and back again, but
    24 hours later that tyre is dead flat again - but no hole. What the hell?

Do patched tyres sometimes leak so slowly there are no air bubbles evident from under water?

I got the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard. The PSI is lower at 75 as opposed to 100 so they are much more comfortable but dont feel any slower.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Should still be bubbles, but will be small and slow forming.

Assume you checked the valve?

well I held it all under water longer than I would have held Jarro down for. But thats what I expect, no matter how slow, there would still be a bubble forming. I would think if it wasnt visible inside of 30 seconds, then it would take much longer than half a day or so to go completely flat.

Maybe the bike gods do not like me.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Nah, when they stop liking you you'll have a multi puncture leaving you with no spares and at the furthest possible distance from nowhere. And in a no mobile reception area.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I decided to avoid the heat and go for a decent (by my normal 13k commute standards) aiming for 30k this morning.

Sensational day for it, but ended up with 29.91km. 90 tiny metres short of my goal. NOOOOOOO.

Feel awesome for doing it, but walking around bow legged at the moment!

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    Sensational day for it, but ended up with 29.91km. 90 tiny metres short of my goal. NOOOOOOO.
    In instances like that you just have to do a lap around the block to get the distance! I am sure my neighbours think I am crazy sometimes lapping our neighbourhood to get a distance!

Mtb you really are having a bad run of it. Wb well done you should be feeling better in a couple of hours. I haven't been able to go for a ride in a week and its killing me even if I do get a break from the kids later today it will be 40+ degrees. Maybe I can squeeze a couple of hours in before golf tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by oncewasagolfer View Post
    Mtb you really are having a bad run of it. Wb well done you should be feeling better in a couple of hours. I haven't been able to go for a ride in a week and its killing me even if I do get a break from the kids later today it will be 40+ degrees. Maybe I can squeeze a couple of hours in before golf tomorrow.
    Yep, next week or so is going to be hard to get riding in. I am planning to do 4 hours on Sunday, but with this heat thinking it might have to be a 4am start!

Going down the beach next week will hopefully get some rides in down their.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    Should still be bubbles, but will be small and slow forming.Assume you checked the valve?
    This morning I saw a fairly large bubble formed under the patch. obviously that's the issue. Fortunately I had the foresight to buy a bunch of tubes for spares. I have used the self adhesive patch 4 times. The last two times have let me down.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Which brand patch are you using Mark? I have used Lezyne quick patches and they work well and stay up. I presume you have roughed the area up with sandpaper to get good adhesion? Just received a parcel from Cell Bikes with some BBB brand patches. They appear to be as good as the Lezyne but won't know till I need to use them. It'd have to be a bigger hole in a road tube for me to use a vulcanized patch nowadays.

Thread Information