Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2019 - The VIC Champs are being held WHERE!?!?! February 21-25, 2019

From 2018 Champs intro thread:

"The 2018 Victorian Championships will be held on the Bellarine Peninsula, and couldn't be more linksy if we tried! How do you feel about that Lefty? "

Well, apparently we can. For ****s sake.

Our 2019 edition will be held in the always sunny Apple Isle!!!

Still a few little details to be shored up, but felt I should get the post out there as soon as possible to allow for booking of flights etc.

Ozgolf VIC Champs 2019 Course Itinerary

Thursday 21st February
    Kingston Beach Golf Club - Home of the one and only SMS316!
    No limit to spots
    Shotgun start 3PM
    $30.00 Green Fee + $12.00 Prize Fee
    Entrance fee includes an after-round Burger at KBGC.

Friday 22nd February
    Royal Hobart Golf Club
    40 Booked
    1 tee start from 12.30PM
    $70 Green Fee + $12.00 Prize Fee
    No Carts (pull buggies available)
    Catering TBA

Saturday 23rd February
    Lost Farm
    28 Booked
    1 tee start from 12.20PM
    $108.00 Green Fee + $12.00 Prize Fee
    Walk only. Carts can only be booked with medical certificate.

Sunday 24th February
    Barnbougle Dunes
    28 Booked
    1 tee start from 7.30AM
    $108.00 Green Fee + $12.00 Prize Fee
    Walk only. Carts can only be booked with medical certificate.

Monday 25th February
    Launceston Golf Club
    20 Booked
    2 Tee start from 7.30AM
    $45 Green Fee + $15 lunch + $12.00 Prize Fee
    $5 Pull cart

Come one, come all to the biggest VIC Champs yet!

BSB: 303-092
    Acc no. 4959945
    Acc Name: Nicholas D Hoggan

Last edited by LeftyHoges; 13th February 2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Thank you Lefty and everyone for an amazing weekend.

Barny was something else. I hope to get back there sooner rather than later.

I’m going to do a little review thread of the two courses before I forget the holes.

Standing up on the 4th tee at Lost Farm, I got the tingles and another player in my group said he was moist. 😂

Bring on 2020 Vic Champs!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thanks Lefty for organising another fantastic champs. This really is the best week on my golfing calendar. Thanks also to any and all of his helpers. With the hard work from you guys it allows us to rock up and play golf, so thanks once again.

Congrats to the champ Ron. Another to join the Naga2Champ club. Maybe we can get jackets made for next year. Also thanks for filling my pocket with calcutta cash.

Thanks to Dave for driving the clown car and putting up with all us drunks.

Thanks to all my playing partners for dealing with my very average golf.

Thanks to all the guys and Shaz for sharing a few beers and laughs over the week. (Except WB you’re a shit bloke and 3pp you are still a muppet.) This is what this week is all about for me. Golf just brings us together.

How good was kicking the Souths arse once again in the uncivil war with their team stacked with local guns. It was delicious. Seriously though thanks to PTP for getting some top blokes to fill to void this year so this great tradition could continue.

Can’t wait to see everyone again next year

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A big Thank-you to Lefty and his assistants for another awesome job organizing the Vic / Southern Champs. I've thoroughly enjoyed every Vic Champs I have attended and this year was certainly no exception. Well done to RonBurgunday on being 2019 Champion, another Naga to Champ story - congratulations on the deserved win.

To all my playing partners over the 4 days, Peter_rs, Grandmasterb, Bushy, Jonno, Rightyhoges (aka Tractorboy), Petethepilot, Captain Nemo, Grumpy, Ferrins, Thecollective, Jonno and Courty, thanks guys it was great to play with you all and in some instances meet you for the first time.

To Petethepilot, it was great to play against you in the Uncivil War, your advice and guidance around Royal Hobart was truly generous and appreciated. It was great to finally meet you and I can't wait to get back to Tassie and play Royal Hobart once the changes have been made. A fantastic course will be made even greater. Congratulations to Peter_rs on being another successful Union Captain.

To my clown car buddies, 3PP, SundayHack, WBennet RightyHoges and Ferrins (before he jumped cars to JoeS), it was an honour to be your driver. As I've probably already mentioned I can't remember when I laughed as hard or as long as I did over those 4 days.

Thanks Grumpy for the lift back to the airport - much appreciated mate.

For me, it is also the little things that make a Champs weekend so memorable. Things like having the best toasties I've ever tasted at a small joint before Launceston. The owner of said joint making fun of WBennet's attire and of us in general. The local shenanigans at the Bridport pub on Saturday night and being served by a barmaid who was drunker than the rest of us. Memories that will last a lifetime and some which will become part of Champs folklore.

Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone. Bring on 2020!
    Last edited by Dcanto; 26th February 2019 at 07:14 PM.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Possible my best champs result to date

Thursday win
    Friday 2 points and win as North Captain
    Saturday struggled with stomach cramps to have my best score on the course.
    Sunday win
    Monday 2nd.

Lost some off my hcp as I’m now 1.3 off my anchor.

3rd in the champs
    2 in the 3 day iron man.

Congrats to RB for 3 solid rounds of golf.

Congrats to a massive effort by lefty and the other helpers

Thanks to everyone I played golf with or drunk with.

Bring on two rounds at port fairy for the 2020 champs.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

What a great trip with fantastic weather and quality golf courses.
    Great to catch up with Shaun at Kingston Beach GC and cheers for hosting us👍
    The Thursday game includes the crap ball challenge and our team got a win mostly due to Courty being Ron Barassi. The course presented nicely and provided a good challenge. Absolutely awesome shot by Dcanto into the very tricky heavily guarded par 3. Pretty sure anyone who held the ntp on that hole had a bit of a chubby. I ...,certainly did! Sensational links shot by 3putt for NTP on 18.
    Post round beers where excellent and bairmaid Ruby was very frendly.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by peter_rs View Post
    Bring on two rounds at port fairy for the 2020 champs.
    Count me in for this one!

My girlfriend wanted to go for a weekend away last month and I convinced her to go to Warrnambool so I could sneak in a round at Port Fairy. The only problem was that my back was stuffed the entire time and had to cancel the round.

I died a little just driving past the course having heard plenty of good things.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If 2020 is in Melbs, one of the dinner/booze venues is sorted.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    What a great trip with fantastic weather and quality golf courses.
    Great to catch up with Shaun at Kingston Beach GC and cheers for hosting us
    The Thursday game includes the crap ball challenge and our team got a win mostly due to Courty being Ron Barassi. The course presented nicely and provided a good challenge. Absolutely awesome shot by Dcanto into the very tricky heavily guarded par 3. Pretty sure anyone who held the ntp on that hole had a bit of a chubby. I ...,certainly did! Sensational links shot by 3putt for NTP on 18.
    Post round beers where excellent and bairmaid Ruby was very frendly.
    Thanks mate. I'll let Ruby know that her good work was appreciated.
    Forum needs more banter.

I realise we've already moved into planning for the 2020 Vic Champs (which, let's face it, is awesome), but now that the fog is starting to lift from my brain and work is almost of back under control I wanted to get a little recap of the weekend out there. Firstly and most obviously, massive thanks to Lefty and his usual band of helpers, SundayHack for the trophies and Courty for the spreadsheets (and no doubt more unsung heroes out there). It must be a massive amount of work to arrange this and it's a privilege for the rest of us to be able to just turn up and enjoy it. Thanks to all of my playing partners over the 3 days, the many drinking partners an even my car and roommate Johnno (aka 2020 Champ).

UnCivil War (Royal Hobart): Thanks to PTP for coming to the rescue just as the Confederates were about to unfurl the white flag and providing a great group of blokes to reinforce the southerners and allow the event to continue. It was great to get my first win in the UnCivil War, thanks in no small part to my generous opponent Collis letting me in on some local knowledge on the greens. By the way Benno they break only half as much as they appear to (oh that's right, you know that already but didn't find out until after the round). The People's Royal (TM) was thoroughly enjoyable and will no doubt be even better when the redevelopment is finished. Somehow I picked a good day land my first ever comp win, also scoring an individual win and the team win with Bushy. Thanks to the Confederate leadership brains trust for picking me in the mystery fireball too. There's another point for the good guys and another loss for Benno. 3 victories in a row is great but we all know Queenslanders are good for 8 in a row so lets keep the domination going!

Champs Round 1 (Lost Farm): Lost Farm is the most spectacularly beautiful course I've ever seen. Thinking about that opening stretch of holes still gives me movement. I'm not surprised they couldn't cut two of them and am glad we played all 20. You know it's an amazing experience when I could play it after driving for 4 hours with a massive hangover and I still couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Also, for a bloke whose home track only has 15 holes, somehow Toddy got better as the round went on which was impressive.

Champs Round 2 (Dunes): The Dunes may be harder than Lost Farm and arguably not as pretty, but it's my pick of the two and the best course I've ever played. Subjective I know. It looks like it has been there forever and was always meant to be there. The flow from tee to fairway to green is just perfect and the options you have at your disposal are endless. I'm sure I hit some rubbish shots there as always, but I've already forgotten them. I also hit some of my best ever shots and those are the ones that will stick with me. As will Ferrins hitting out of that insane bunker on 4 to a couple of feet. Commiserations to Grumpy for the bizarre way we ended up in a playoff. It's the last time I rely on Bushy's maths!

Dunes round 2: If playing a course like Barnbougle Dunes for $119 is some of the best value in the world, then playing it again for only an extra $31 is inarguably the best value anywhere. As much as I enjoyed the rest of the weekend, this second round is what will stick with me as the most enjoyable round of golf I've ever played. In that late afternoon light, with the company I had, on that course pretty much to ourselves, carrying a couple of persimmons and a half set, playing from different tees and making things up as we go... that's as good as it gets. Special mention to our newly created 125m par 3 from 14th tee to 15th green and blasting balls across to Lost Farm from 16th tee (I'm sure Jono made it over) before Ferrins missing a hole in 1 by millimetres and he and I both getting another kaakaa. Just sensational.

That was the best weekend of golf I've ever had. RH was great and Barny was transcendent. But even better than the golf was the company and it's for that reason that I'll keep coming back. This was my second Vic Champs and I've now managed to finish both last and first. But the result is inconsequential and I had my favourite weekend of the year on both occasions. Golf might be the thing that we have in common and gets us to the event in the first place but it pales into insignificance compared to the banter, good times and general piss taking off the course. Shoutout to the Bridport Inn for one of the unexpectedly better nights I've had at a pub too. If you've never been, you need to get there. If you think your game isn't up to standard to attend you're wrong (and have clearly never seen me or most of the others play). If you've been before then then you know so get your arse back there next year.

So again, thanks Lefty for organising it, thanks to everyone who attended for allowing me the best weekend of the year. See you all in South-West Vic in a years time.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 27th February 2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Does anyone else have any monies to put into the tin before I figure a final amount?
    GolfMap

Final totals are in, a little down on previous years due to the fact we had no Saturday night auction, and a smaller field than all champs bar the first. But for 19 pissheads and Courty (although we're getting to him slowly), this years VIC champs total is still a pretty god damn amazing effort of $2500. Well done, thanks and congrats to all on your outstanding generosity once again, its for great causes and I can't thank you enough.

For future reference because I promise myself I'll do this every year and always forget, our rough running total of money raised at VIC Champs over the last 6 years (because we were selfish pricks and did 0 at Champs I), is a staggering $17,925!!!! I very much look forward to busting through the $20k barrier at VIC Champs 2020 in the South-West!

Much love, Lefty.
    GolfMap

👏. Nice work pissheads and Courty.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Great to see. Well done everyone.

At $25 per shank I’m surprised it wasn’t higher!
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Great to see. Well done everyone.

At $25 per shank I’m surprised it wasn’t higher!
    Don't look at me, I was just normal super shit, not shank super shit.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Top stuff, Vic Champs people.

Excellent work

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

WB and his hozzel rocket,priceless.So wish Courty had the phone going when it happened

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great stuff!

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Good result for charity,well done to those involved

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    WB and his hozzel rocket,priceless.So wish Courty had the phone going when it happened

Almost took Courtys face off

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Almost took Courtys face off
    It never got above knee height

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    It never got above knee height
    That means little...
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 5th March 2019 at 11:28 AM.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Final totals are in, a little down on previous years due to the fact we had no Saturday night auction, and a smaller field than all champs bar the first. But for 19 pissheads and Courty (although we're getting to him slowly), this years VIC champs total is still a pretty god damn amazing effort of $2500. Well done, thanks and congrats to all on your outstanding generosity once again, its for great causes and I can't thank you enough.

For future reference because I promise myself I'll do this every year and always forget, our rough running total of money raised at VIC Champs over the last 6 years (because we were selfish pricks and did 0 at Champs I), is a staggering $17,925!!!! I very much look forward to busting through the $20k barrier at VIC Champs 2020 in the South-West!

Much love, Lefty.
    We've had a donation from one Mr PerryGroves of $75, so this years total has just risen to $2575, but more importantly, we've officially crashed through the $18k barrier!!!

Well done all!!!
    GolfMap

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Well played PG, nags serving you well then?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Super stuff everyone.

Something to be exceptionally proud of.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Thread Information