Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

At my last club, there was a stableford alternative on stroke days off different tees (which caused the occasional mind-slip). The big problem is that the comp. fee was the same, no possibility of getting a medal and the prizes were abysmal. (Although, they did get a 20m headstart for te common NTP and Super Pin comps.)

It also weakened the C grade medal field that net mid-70's may win the medal.

Personally, I'd restrict strokeplay to A grade and have the others play stableford.
    Any objections? Work on your game and get into A grade.
    Any further objections? Other grades are free to play stroke socially, outside competition times.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Marcel, The Collective

no lost balls in my group yesterday - I don't think we even had to look for more than 15 seconds.
    Group in front lost a ball left of 16 - but they were short of the fairway. I have no idea where you would drop a ball for that, although for a stableford round a 6 for zero was likely with a drop.

The greens condition was fabulous yesterday - a bit less water in the surface given the cooler weather, and the tapping down of spike marks meant that any foot drag damage by the earlier players was either already repaired or easily fixed..

I don't think we even had a dropped ball yesterday in the group.

The pin is now either 'in', 'held' or 'out'. I suspect 'held' will occur less and less.
    We had some ready golf long putts by the first player with the pin still in, occasionally with a subsequent 1 foot tap-in.
    So far so good with the new rules.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The number of strokes is a contributing factor.
    How do you explain 5 hour rounds on tour?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Guys and gals making their living.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Don’t know about you guys, but the “stroke and distance” drop or whatever it’s called is not being adopted at my club. I didn’t realise it was optional for clubs to adopt or not adopt that one, but turns out it is. So we’ve just got the standard playing your third from the tee if you put one OB from the tee. Makes the ruling simpler and less open to interpretation. We too benefited from the new flag rule yesterday in terms of pace of play - quite a few instances of chipping to tap-in distance and then going up and getting the ball out of the way by holing out, as well as someone a long way from the hole putting first before others in the group were on hand.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why would I need to explain what professional players do?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Guys and gals making their living.
    Exactly. Pace of play not determined by strokes taken.

Blog Entries

Exactly. Pace of play not determined by strokes taken.
    Pace of play is not determined by any single cause.

btw. PGA Tour golf is irrelevant to Australian club competitions. They are playing for high stakes, and the TV networks can sell more advertising in a six hour telecast, than they can for a four hour telecast.

Banned

You don't.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post

btw. PGA Tour golf is irrelevant to Australian club competitions. They are playing for high stakes, and the TV networks can sell more advertising in a six hour telecast, than they can for a four hour telecast.
    exactly, If you win the medal at my club overall its about $45 shop credit. That would be worth about a minutes work on the PGA tour.

I don't mind grinding it out once a month in a stroke round, I reckon B graders should experience this knowing where their game is really @.

When you post a good score, the DSR is normally quite high, so it's often a flagged round
    Last edited by thecollective; 6th January 2019 at 12:01 PM.

You don't.
    Great!

Banned

I agree pace of play is determined by many factors. I was merely pointing out that good scores don't equate to faster rounds.

Tour players have a huge influence on how golfer play golf and behave on the golf course. They are sold as role models and given endorsements for that very reason. They may not influence you, but the influence is definitely there.

I was merely pointing out that good scores don't equate to faster rounds.
    For the exact same player, it should. The same player having seven shots on a hole, will take less time than eleven shots, therefore less time.

Blog Entries

I agree pace of play is determined by many factors. I was merely pointing out that good scores don't equate to faster rounds.

Tour players have a huge influence on how golfer play golf and behave on the golf course. They are sold as role models and given endorsements for that very reason. They may not influence you, but the influence is definitely there.
    And this is the cause of the problem.

Someone doing the same time wasting routine for 150 shots is going to delay things TWICE as much as someone doing it for 75 shots.

I witnessed the decline of pace of club golf play in the 1990's, mainly due to Nick Faldo. The main culprit was his VHS videos that were so abundant as Fathers' Day gifts and stocking fillers. It was painful to watch muppets go through a pre-shot routine at 160m out 'because you can't expect to hit a good shot without being totally prepared', stuff it up, do the same at 50m out, and then again at 10m out.

Then three putt, after looking at it from all sides each time.

Watching PGA Tour golf should be banned for high handicappers.

As do club manufacturers and retailers with their fitting jumbo jumbo

Very interesting that Yoss’ club, a Royal designated club nonetheless, was advising players that they had the option of choosing to take their provisional or take a 2 stroke drop yesterday.

Blog Entries

Objection, hearsay. I was told by someone that someone said that. They said i was wrong to say that couldn't be right. Life is too short, but golf rounds aren't. The Irish drop is a shit rule for potato golfers.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Got any Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Got any Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?
    Buying or selling?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

And this is the cause of the problem. Someone doing the same time wasting routine for 150 shots is going to delay things TWICE as much as someone doing it for 75 shots. I witnessed the decline of pace of club golf play in the 1990's, mainly due to Nick Faldo. The main culprit was his VHS videos that were so abundant as Fathers' Day gifts and stocking fillers. It was painful to watch muppets go through a pre-shot routine at 160m out 'because you can't expect to hit a good shot without being totally prepared', stuff it up, do the same at 50m out, and then again at 10m out. Then three putt, after looking at it from all sides each time.Watching PGA Tour golf should be banned for high handicappers.
    Slowest round I had ever was caused by this and some other factors . Was playing a trial game before joining , got caught behind a group of three , father , son and an old guy . Father rooted around in his bag at every tee getting and/or putting back his smokes others were at his ball before he had left the tee area . Son three putted every green but stalked every putt from every side the old boy was half blind and was always looking for his ball but was the quickest. Third hole was a driveable par 4 , my group was walking up to the tee whilst they were teeing off 45 mins later we teed off . Didn’t call thru on lost balls , we finally pushed past them near 15 th green , played rest of the holes putt clubs in car had 2 beers and as I was leaving they were putting out on 18 . Had completed application form with me to hand in , tore it up never played there again

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Objection, hearsay. I was told by someone that someone said that. They said i was wrong to say that couldn't be right. Life is too short, but golf rounds aren't. The Irish drop is a shit rule for potato golfers.
    It’s in your words now “The pro shop said you can hit a provisional and then decide to drop if you can't find first”

This golf thing sounds too slow and time consuming, confusing, and frustrating.

This raises an interesting point...

https://www.facebook.com/kelly.gibso...9179592768113/
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

That's 2 strokes at the ball not a double hit.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

This attachment will be my last word on this subject.

https://twitter.com/Skratch/status/1...apalua-2018%2F

It looks like Andrew Landry was going to drop from above the knee, but someone guided him to the correct height. It isn't as easy to do as it sounds. Most of the comments under are typically silly American Golf Fans, but a few were predicting the rule will be relaxed, rather than demanding a drop from exactly knee height. I think that would be better.

The only people who will like this rule are the rules nazi's who delight in detecting infractions that have no effect on the game itself.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information