Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Advice sought on iron shafts

Dusted off my clubs for a hit this week and all my iron shafts are rusted and need replacing.

I've only ever really played DG S300, so don't really have any knowledge of other options. I'm older, fatter, not as flexible and more un-co than I was a decade ago when I was fitted last. I hit everything high and struggle to get any distance out of short irons.

Should I go to Reg flex DGs? Or is there something better out now. I really like the feel of DGs, but just want more distance and less ballooning.

Thanks in advance gurus.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd recommend what I use but you already know but it does sound like you want a stiffer tip?

I am not sure how a softer shaft will get you more distance and lower ball flight. But one thing you might like to do is narrow down the options, because there is billions. The gents at golfworks have classified every shaft according to a 4 character code to help eliminate the nonsense.

The code chart is the key to understanding the classifaction : https://www.golfworks.com/images/art...MPFRatings.pdf
    So lets say you determine that 4CIM is what suits you, so enter that into this database https://ralphmaltby.com/golf-shaft-ratings/ and there are 7 options that fit that.

You can also do an inverse search, look up S300, and its 4B1H - which means its Stiff -Balanced, Low flight and stiff tip (or low torque)

years ago i asked the Ralph the same question you did for the same reason, getting old and unfit, should I go for Softer shafts, and he said in his experience, go for a softer tip as you get older but not a softer shaft.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

My modus 125 stiff are actually 128g and are very similar profile to the original DG S300, just smoother

4 to PW 1/2" over

Senior Member Major Winner

+1 on Modus Shafts.
    DG S300 most of my golfing life and still have them in some of the sets I play in rotation.
    I put some Modus 120 stiff in my Cobra AMP Cell Pro's and as bits said they are very smooth and are my preferred shaft of choice now.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

I just checked MTb's link and the modus 125 stiff are 4B1H

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Hi Dion Welcome back to the game

The thing is, not only the shaft but even the balls nowadays was quite a bit different from the balls we used a decade ago.

I am currenting using a set of Modus 105 in stiff flex and you probably remember I am not a long hitter. This "flex" thing is still not being standardlise after all these year.

If you are time poor like myself I will just go to one of the fitting day (of any brand) near you and try everything. You will also get advise from the brand's rep.

Quote Originally Posted by andylo View Post
    Hi Dion

If you are time poor like myself I will just go to one of the fitting day (of any brand) near you and try everything. You will also get advise from the brand's rep.
    Hey Andy. Great idea!

golflink WITB

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I'd recommend what I use but you already know but it does sound like you want a stiffer tip?

I am not sure how a softer shaft will get you more distance and lower ball flight. But one thing you might like to do is narrow down the options, because there is billions. The gents at golfworks have classified every shaft according to a 4 character code to help eliminate the nonsense.

The code chart is the key to understanding the classifaction : https://www.golfworks.com/images/art...MPFRatings.pdf
    So lets say you determine that 4CIM is what suits you, so enter that into this database https://ralphmaltby.com/golf-shaft-ratings/ and there are 7 options that fit that.

You can also do an inverse search, look up S300, and its 4B1H - which means its Stiff -Balanced, Low flight and stiff tip (or low torque)

Thanks Mark.

That suggested 4B1M or 4C1M so DG S300 or Rifle 6.0 for me. Mind you that's from 2009. Probably a bunch of new options now.

golflink WITB

I was gonna suggest Modus 3 also. If i had to change thats what I would go to, as it from memory is counter weighted and most similar to my shafts

But in all seriousness... get a lesson. I know you well and there is no way in a million years you would have a slower swing speed than me. I went through a similar thing as you, possible progressively worse over 10 years with shoulder problem, ended up with frozen shoulder, by the time i recovered from that i had measured some well hit drives at just under 200m carry, i know i am a girl but thats just plain embarrasing. Plus i hit a lot of slappy blocks/cuts( seems similar to you?) My smash factor was down to very low 1.40's which is pathetic. Seriously was so frustrated as i couldnt understand how i could be hitting the ball so weakly

Got one lesson, he identifed i was "throwing the club away"( uncocking way too early) which i suspect was a compensation for the frozen shoulder. Worked on many different things by myself and all worked very well. I have picked up at least 1.5 clubs in my irons without swinging harder, as well as as significant driver distance, and i think i can get more. No joke i just love playing golf ( like mickelson now )I wont go as far as saying I am hitting the longest of my life, but.. its right up there.

So if a wimpy 56yo with broken body can find 20 yards without going to ladies shafts, you can too
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I got fitted to modus 105r by pureform about 3 years ago, so any irons I’ve bought hinged on this , but then I picked up some some Callaway 2018 x forged with DG pro s300 and the feel and flight out these is awesome with no loss in distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 driver proforce V2 STaylorMade 2016 M2 3 woodMizuno mp fli-hi 21*Mizuno mp h4 4-pw KBS c-taper lite 105 rTitleist sm4 50, 54* & 58* Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider cs

More and more options with True Temper these days: Dynamic Gold AMT (progressive weight), Dynamic Gold 120g and Dynamic Gold 105g, any of which could help if you have lost some speed but want to stay in Dynamic Gold.

Bear in mind, though, as a general rule, the lighter and more flexible the iron shaft, the more launch/spin it will generate. So this might not solve the issue with your short irons.

With that said, might be worth considering your lofts too. If you're still playing the 710 MBs listed in your signature, these will have fairly traditional lofts: PW @ 47*, 9 @ 43* and so on. Lots of manufacturers now ship a 45* PW as standard, and this kinda setup will produce a stronger ball flight.
    Last edited by Jerrymoo; 15th January 2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    More and more options with True Temper these days: Dynamic Gold AMT (progressive weight), Dynamic Gold 120g and Dynamic Gold 105g, any of which could help if you have lost some speed but want to stay in Dynamic Gold.

Bear in mind, though, as a general rule, the lighter and more flexible the iron shaft, the more launch/spin it will generate. So this might not solve the issue with your short irons.

With that said, might be worth considering your lofts too. If you're still playing the 710 MBs listed in your signature, these will have fairly traditional lofts: PW @ 47*, 9 @ 43* and so on. Lots of manufacturers now ship a 45* PW as standard, and this kinda setup will produce a stronger ball flight.
    Cheers mate. I didn't realise there were light DG options. I'll check out a demo day asap to try some new ones.

Blake is right though, I should probably invest in some lessons to improve my ball striking.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

All depends on your club delivery, you want to get on a LM that tracks your club data.

Weaker soft tip shaft can hit the ball lower than a stiff tip shaft under certain circumstances, the number of driver fittings I have watched many fittings where someone was trying to raise their ball flight end ended up with a stiff flex shaft with a stiffer tip.
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Going out for my annual game of golf tomorrow. See you in the pro shop shortly.

golflink WITB

Hardly any seniors flex sold here.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Then he's lucky, since BV's idea of a senior flex is a hard stepped reg.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Hardly any seniors flex sold here.
    after today's performance, I think I'll crawl back into my cave for another year.

golflink WITB

Oh no dont do that. You are the best fairway wood player ever, give it another crack.
    --
    Handy-Cap

I still remember standing on city gc's old 7th green when BVs drive rolled by! Prick didn't even yell "fore"....
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Member Teaching Pro

All I can say is test, what works for 1 doesn't work for another !!!!!

We are opening up Pureformgolf in Brisbane on the 15th of Feb, feel free to come in and have a chat and checkout all the different shaft options.
    Everyone time weight differently and a certain flex in 1 brand is the same in another brand.

Senior Member Major Winner

if i can add one thing...
    when testing.. hit some of your bad shots to see if the setup can help out on those shots.

also hit some other kinds of shots.. hit the trap draw, the heel cut and others.. dont just fit for the warmed up - well timed flush shot.

cant tell you how often i see this and i just cringe at the amateurish of modern fitting.

i am blades with X100 tours once warmed up.. but i am graphite 80gr regular at 7am at Strathfield for Major Pennants.

fit your golf GAME... not your swing.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielongdriver View Post
    We are opening up Pureformgolf in Brisbane on the 15th of Feb, feel free to come in and have a chat and checkout all the different shaft options.
    Eagle Farm, so not far from my office.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

All I can say is test, what works for 1 doesn't work for another !!!!!

Everyone time weight differently and a certain flex in 1 brand is the same in another brand.
    Any OzGolf discounts?

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Any OzGolf discounts?
    I'll look after longterm members as best I can

Would this mean you are sending TC back to Qld?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information