Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 PGA Tour

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    The total prize money for the PGA TOUR’s 49 official tournaments is a record $376 million for the 2019-20 season, with nine events in eight countries outside the United States. Another $70 million in prize money is awarded after the season-ending FedExCup playoffs.
    The PGA TOUR will bring in approximately $700 million annually through its latest television contracts with CBS, NBC and Golf Channel, according to reports. The newest media rights deal included significant rights-fee increases while keeping golf on broadcast television, thus ensuring the widest possible viewership.

https://www.thengfq.com/company/pga-tour/

There’s no real need to change anything.
    Thanks Pete..That might be your opinion but certainly not everyone's, I don't think. I'm not talking about broadcast deals and the prize money and media rights deal. I'm talking about the game as a spectacle wherein we witness more of the golfers using their entire skillset on the course..Of course, it's working great right now but no sport including golf ever sits still and doesn't tweak things..

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    If we are talking about Bryson I tend to agree. But he is both The Scientist and The Hulk, so I'm not going to argue with him and his methods.

Perhaps the biggest news from Round 1 is that Collin Morikawa might miss the cut unless he goes low tomorrow. If this happens, he won't know what to do, as he hasn't missed a cut in his shortish career yet. I'll be cheering for him to keep the streak going.
    Cut is at -4 so Morikawa will not make the cut for the weekend. Great player so he'll be fine. BDC is interesting..This will play out for the rest of the season and we will find out how his game fares. So far, he is mashing the ball. Mickleson leading at 50, yes to that. Rory, please do not have a final round meltdown. Time to win! And finally Leishman is up there as well for some Aussie joy for all of us

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by maveric74 View Post
    Thanks Pete..That might be your opinion but certainly not everyone's, I don't think. I'm not talking about broadcast deals and the prize money and media rights deal. I'm talking about the game as a spectacle wherein we witness more of the golfers using their entire skillset on the course..Of course, it's working great right now but no sport including golf ever sits still and doesn't tweak things..
    If more people are watching and everyone involved is making more money there isn’t really a problem with the product.

As for other sports, they change to attract new viewers to the game, not to keep “traditionalists” happy. Non golf fans don’t care if a bloke hits 6 iron off the tee so he’s got a good angle in then hits an 8 iron to the fat part of the green for a 2 putt par. They want to see a bloke bash driver and see how far it goes.

Cricket gave us T20 because as much as some people may not like it, more people want to see a ball sail over the fence than a couple of good overs of quality fast-medium bowling consistently beating the bat hoping for an edge to the keeper.

The only way you’re going to see the golf you want is to spend Saturday arvo at your club with a beer on the deck watching people play the 18th. Distance is king on tour and if it’s not a birdie hole it’s unfair.

You may not be talking about prize money and media deals but that’s all that matters. Your idea of golf and the PGA Tour are different animals.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If we are talking about Bryson I tend to agree. But he is both The Scientist and The Hulk, so I'm not going to argue with him and his methods.
    Bryson swing is the closest anyone in tour is to Moe Norman and his changes are positive, much better setup and backswing. I am also going down the same path. But his follow through looks contrived and forced. I dont think that will last
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    If more people are watching and everyone involved is making more money there isn’t really a problem with the product.

As for other sports, they change to attract new viewers to the game, not to keep “traditionalists” happy. Non golf fans don’t care if a bloke hits 6 iron off the tee so he’s got a good angle in then hits an 8 iron to the fat part of the green for a 2 putt par. They want to see a bloke bash driver and see how far it goes.

Cricket gave us T20 because as much as some people may not like it, more people want to see a ball sail over the fence than a couple of good overs of quality fast-medium bowling consistently beating the bat hoping for an edge to the keeper.

The only way you’re going to see the golf you want is to spend Saturday arvo at your club with a beer on the deck watching people play the 18th. Distance is king on tour and if it’s not a birdie hole it’s unfair.

You may not be talking about prize money and media deals but that’s all that matters. Your idea of golf and the PGA Tour are different animals.
    Prize money and media deals all that matters? lol..

P.S. I certainly don't drink beer and watch golf. I play golf. I think we have got your opinion down pat. Let's see what some other contributors think, shall we?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Everyone talks about Bryson's driving, but his putting has gotten heaps better too. If he can improve his wedges a bit he could end up having a good run. As long as his body holds up.

But come on Phil!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

My position on the distance (and skill set?) debate should be well-known on this forum. I offer two items of evidence to further support my argument.

Item 1. Bryson hit a 424yd drive today, aided by 100 yards of cartpath roll down a hill. He was 60 yards from the green. He made bogey. In the same group, Phil hit 3 wood off the tee, an iron to 8 feet and made birdie.

Item 2. The course record on this course (and on the Tour alltime) is held by Jim Furyk. Nobody ever calls him a big hitter.

Distance might be king, but its not everything.

I do have a question for Maveric and others who think the full skill set isn't being used. I am assuming they refer to the lack of need for accurate long and middle irons in a bomb and gouge world. Why doesn't the fairway wood, long iron or even middle iron into a par 5, usually with severe penalty if the shot isn't accurate, count as a skill worth celebrating. It only seems to matter if they play it on a par 4 in your world.

May I also add that the coverage the last two days has confirmed that the driveable par 4 15th on this course is one of my favourite holes anywhere. I really don't care that half the field see it as an easy birdie, because another third of the field are making bogey because they have played the hole poorly.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Banned

Prize money and media deals all that matters? lol..

P.S. I certainly don't drink beer and watch golf. I play golf. I think we have got your opinion down pat. Let's see what some other contributors think, shall we?
    You're missing the point. If people didn't like the PGA Tour (the product), they wouldn't keep watching or attending (consuming it). The only way a product makes a shit load of money is if people keep consuming it and if the money keeps rolling in, why would they change the product. The type of golf they play might not be what you like, but it can be any way they want when they are making money hand over fist. If it wasn't, they'd look at making some changes, but it is so it will stay just as it is as long as it's killing it.

If you don't like the product, stop consuming it or at least if you don't want to stop consuming it, stop complaining about it. The PGA tour is what it is, it's not going to change till it stops making a shit load of money. And if you really don't like it to the point of not watching it, watch the European Tour. They might monster the ball like they do on the PGA Tour but at least there is a lot more variety in the golf courses they play, instead of the cookie cutter country clubs on the PGA Tour (except a couple of course).

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    You're missing the point. If people didn't like the PGA Tour (the product), they wouldn't keep watching or attending (consuming it). The only way a product makes a shit load of money is if people keep consuming it and if the money keeps rolling in, why would they change the product. The type of golf they play might not be what you like, but it can be any way they want when they are making money hand over fist. If it wasn't, they'd look at making some changes, but it is so it will stay just as it is as long as it's killing it.

If you don't like the product, stop consuming it or at least if you don't want to stop consuming it, stop complaining about it. The PGA tour is what it is, it's not going to change till it stops making a shit load of money. And if you really don't like it to the point of not watching it, watch the European Tour. They might monster the ball like they do on the PGA Tour but at least there is a lot more variety in the golf courses they play, instead of the cookie cutter country clubs on the PGA Tour (except a couple of course).
    I don’t know if Maverick missing the point or you getting it concerns me more

Banned

Lol!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

What are everyone's thoughts on how the game is evolving? We've had -22 win last week at RBC Heritage, -15 under at Charles Schwab and today -10 after Round 1 at TPC River Highlands. Is anyone watching and thinks this is fun?
    Don’t forget all these events are out of schedule for the time of year. Hotter weather, requires more water on the greens and less wind.

Players have been cooped up for months and obviously came out firing.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Don’t forget all these events are out of schedule for the time of year. Hotter weather, requires more water on the greens and less wind.
    Sorry, but I can't resist this opportunity.

Does less wind mean they don't eat as much Mexican food in summer?

Anyway, I watched the Kayo replay with a bit more interest that usual due to the direction this thread has taken. I don't know whether they do it every time and I haven't noticed, but the first two hours of the telecast was a simulcast between Golf Channel and PGA Tour live, rather than just the normal Golf Channel coverage until CBS take over.

The reason why this seemed different is that they were showing every shot of the last few groups on the early holes, rather than just the good shots "just a few moments ago". Frankly, the standard of golf wasn't great, so we were seeing the final groups hitting some poor shots and then scrambling their way out of trouble. It wasn't quite the dartboard shootout golf I was expecting to see, and much more interesting as a result. s
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

What are everyone's thoughts on how the game is evolving? We've had -22 win last week at RBC Heritage, -15 under at Charles Schwab and today -10 after Round 1 at TPC River Highlands.
    whats evolved? scores like this were happening 10-20-30 years ago too
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Sorry, but I can't resist this opportunity.

Does less wind mean they don't eat as much Mexican food in summer?

Good point Jim, I do hear American golfers are a little partial to good Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by KristianJ View Post
    I reckon he’s more of a curry man.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

New appreciation for the Postman
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

That is one of the best
    --
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Ryder Cup postponed until 2021

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Ryder Cup postponed until 2021
    Because of the postman??

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The shampoo, not just a novelty any more

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Because of the postman??Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    Hopefully he’ll be there next year too.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Hopefully he’ll be there next year too.
    He'll be there in some capacity, even if it is just as leader of the farting cheer squad.

This week and the next will surely be the strangest weeks the PGA Tour has ever had. Events on the same course two weeks in a row, with no crowds either week.

One of the greatest things about golf is the variety of the courses. Even soft bombers courses in Palm Springs or Las Vegas have some variation. But I'm not sure playing the same course two weeks in a row is going to work. For me, Muirfield Village isn't a very interesting course anyway, so I'll be even less inspired than usual next week.

I do wonder about the player strategy though. Is it better to play both weeks, and thus gain much greater knowledge of the course for the second week, or do you get stale for the 2nd week? Or just play one week and take a week off to recharge?

He'll be there in some capacity, even if it is just as leader of the farting cheer squad.

This week and the next will surely be the strangest weeks the PGA Tour has ever had. Events on the same course two weeks in a row, with no crowds either week.

One of the greatest things about golf is the variety of the courses. Even soft bombers courses in Palm Springs or Las Vegas have some variation. But I'm not sure playing the same course two weeks in a row is going to work. For me, Muirfield Village isn't a very interesting course anyway, so I'll be even less inspired than usual next week.

I do wonder about the player strategy though. Is it better to play both weeks, and thus gain much greater knowledge of the course for the second week, or do you get stale for the 2nd week? Or just play one week and take a week off to recharge?
    Jack Nicklaus has already publicly mentioned this week its going to be shorter, softer and they’re not using any traditional Memorial pins.

Next week the intent is the rough will be left to grow, the conditions are to be much firmer, faster and the pins will be tighter, traditional Memorial pins. Expect the use of several new tees too, like 15(?) for example.

They played 2x US Opens on the same course 2 weeks in a row and it worked fine. No reason why this wouldn’t? Good thinking outside the box- hard to do for the tour.

Thread Information