Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default My Home Theatre setup

There's been some recent discussion about Home Theatre set-ups etc. I just thought I'd document my system, including the little project I am just about finished adding.

The current system is:

• Sony Flatscreen CRT in 68cm. (I've been promised a 42" LCD when this one dies. Any suggestions as to how I can accelerate it's demise? )
    Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner.
    • Sony VCR (backup for watching while the above is recording, and for taping shows for the 'lations)
    Yamaha RX-657B (I think) AV Receiver (7.1 blah blah etc etc)
    • Accusound 5.1 speaker package (no idea of model numbers, but it gives fantastic sound for it's price)
    • Slimline PS2 (sees very little use these days)
    Apple Airport Express (wireless receiver for playing iTunes music through the sound system)
    • stereo cabling installed in the walls to the rear speakers and also to 2 outlets on the patio (with dedicated outdoor volume control) to make use of the extra 2 audio channels in the receiver (no outdoor speakers installed yet)

Currently, if I wish to watch a downloaded movie/ tv show, it requires shifting my Apple Mac Mini from the study out to the TV room. It's a minor inconvenience, but only because the Mac Mini is so tiny. I have an old 17" flat-screen iMac which has had no use since the Mac Mini arrived, so I decided to investigate using it as a permanent addition to the setup. I have already wiped the internal drive & reinstalled the latest version of OSX (quicker & easier than uninstalling all the unnecessary apps/ utililties etc) and found a way to install Apple's Front Row software (usually only included in the new Intel Macs with Apple Remote). The iMac runs Front Row like a charm, but has no IR receiver, so the Apple Remote is currently useless. Earlier in the week I ordered a USB IR receiver, which has arrived today. So that solves that problem. So now I just need to set the iMac up in the entertainment unit and change some of the network settings around. The Airport Express is no longer needed where it is, as the iMac already has wireless, and iTunes can be used to stream audio from any other iTunes library on the network. So that means I can shift the Airport Express to the study, where it can be connected to the ADSL modem to give me a true wireless internet connection (rather than having to share the connection from the Mac Mini). That also gives a more robust wireless connection & faster transfer speeds, so it wil easily handle transferring the AVI files to the iMac. The only other thing I am considering, is getting a Logitech Harmony remote control to replace the 5 current remotes with 1.

Phew! I think that's covered everything. I'll be setting the iMac up over the weekend, so I'll add some pics later on.

Update: I set up the iMac on the weekend. Fits perfectly in the entertainment unit. The wireless streaming from the other machines iTunes library works a treat. The only problem I have is with the video signal. The output from the mini-vga port on the iMac isn't compatible with the TV, so I've purchased a scan converter to sort that out.
    I've got a very itchy finger that has almost pulled the trigger on a Harmony several times already.

Update 2: The scan converter arrived yesterday. I quickly plugged it in before the big game last night. It works perfectly without any tweaking required. I also purchased an Xbox Harmony off eBay. Should be here any time now.

Update 3: Pics as promised.
    Last edited by Courty; 25th May 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    • Sony Flatscreen CRT in 68cm. (I've been promised a 42" LCD when this one dies. Any suggestions as to how I can accelerate it's demise? )
    If it's located under a window, give them a clean and accidently knock some water or stuff into it
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

are you using a surge protector county? If so, then maybe unplug the TV from it and pray for a storm. As a bonus, you'll get fusion coverage on your insurance to help towards the cost of the new one.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

we need a new Forum, WITHTR

You have the same issue as i have, so many different components and there is always something thats a PITA.

I currently watch my DivX's etc through the DVD player, Xbox XBMC, or my laptop with component out. I did serously consider an Apple tv but wrote that off becuase its just that little bit proprietry, and this appears to be a better option and cheaper http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/8e50/

Question: do you know if the USB IR you bought is just a typical IRDA? i have a few of these lying around that i originally bought fr connecting phones to pc's etc.

However I am resisting the temptation of buying anything else now, I'll put together a proper HDTV one day and chuck everything else out - except the AMP - that way I will be future proof.

Those harmony remotes are a good idea. JB Hi Fi has the Xbox ones for $97 which will do the job.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

I just got robs dad to buy a harmony 525. Retail is $190 (at WOW) but the Good Guys had them for $130, he got it for $117 for cash. What a bargain. I intend getting one asap. Everything on them is activity based, so if you wanna watch tv you press 'Watch TV' and it turns on what it needs to to do it. Great stuff.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Some even better prices on ebay. I've been thinking that I need a universal remote.
    Is this one of the better ones out there or best value for money?

goughy

The reason I told rob's dad to get a harmony remote?

While he was down here I flowcharted his system for him showing him how to connect everything he has to his amp then out to his displays, and also to his dvdr. His system consists of a dvd hdd recorder, hd stb, austar, satellite box (for dutch tv/european tv) and ipod dock all connected to a yamaha rx v659b. The output to a centrix 80cm crt tv and to an acer 525 projector. I think his speakers are pure-sound from ebay. Several of those items also route to his dvd hdd recorder too.

Basically rob's mum couldn't watch anything unless her dad was there to turn it on. In fact, his universal remote was so hard to operate that I couldn't us it - I had to go up to the components and adjust them there. I mean, who's lcd remote uses a 'thumbs up' symbol for 'play' on the dvd?

With the harmony she can just select 'watch dvd on screen' and everything turns on that's needed, the screen rolls down and off she goes. Much easier. Press 'watch tv' and the screen retracts, tv goes on and every thing else sets up for her.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Some even better prices on ebay. I've been thinking that I need a universal remote.
    When you get here tonight I'll show you my one4all remote, which is still about $200 today. The harmony leaves it for dead for useability.

By it now on ebay has them for about $99 with about $20 postage. $117 from Good Guys beats that and you get it straight away.

They take a little while to set up; using an online setup system which also stores your setup info, should you ever need to re-load it or if you buy a new harmony. But if my FIL could do it himself then anyone can

I've been researching universal remotes for like 6 months now (anal I know) and I think the harmony's are the bees knees. Have a look at this place anyway...

http://www.remotecentral.com/152133/index.html

That's the one we have currently.

goughy

Default My setup

Here is my setup.

Philips DVD, Tevion DVD (for divx), El cheapo SD STB, PS2, Panasonic 68cm crt (not flat screen) and Onkyo TX SR500. I'm using an All4One universal remote at the moment but want a harmony logitech 525.

My pride and joy are me speakers, which I built from jaycar components. I won't say they were cheap, but I built them slowly over time until they were what I wanted. The boxes are painted the same taupe colour as our walls with a grey screen cloth. For those interested, here are the pics and specs of all the speakers etc.

Left/Right Front and Surrounds: Same speakers but the fronts are in a slightly larger ported box.

Centre Speaker: The tweeter is good, but I was limited on space in the cabinet so I just went with this 3" woofer. When our system changes I'm keen to get two of these 5" screened woofers.
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=383
    I think they will be a good match for the surrounds and fronts. But the 3" does a really good job actually. It's fantastic for vocals, but music dvd's are a bit on the thin side.

Sub Woofer: This was built for me several years ago as a present from my BIL. It wasn't powered back then though. I ended up getting a powered module from jaycar for it. It rocks the house now days. The opening scene of Toy Story 2 rumbles the floor, even when not turned up loud. These are the specs for the powered module:

Another of our excellent subwoofer amplifier modules, this unit delivers 80 watts RMS into 4 ohms and 60 watts RMS into 8 ohms. It is a great way to add a powered subwoofer to an existing stereo or home theatre setup. The module can fit into the side or back of the subwoofer cabinet and uses automatic signal sensing to turn itself on when it recognises an audio input signal. This is a cost effective amplifier that won't break the bank yet has all of the most useful features including variable crossover frequency, phase reversal switch and variable input sensitivity.

- Level control
    - Phase control
    - Auto on/off
    - Crossover frequency control
    - Thermal overload & short- circuit protection.

Specifications:
    - Continuous output power: 80W RMS into 4 ohms & 60W RMS into 8 ohms
    - Frequency response: 20 to 160 Hz
    - Adjustable crossover: 50Hz to 160Hz
    - THD: <0.1% - S/N ratio: >90db
    - Bass boost: 4db @ 35Hz
    - Input sensitivity @ max vol.: 110mV. Line out: 160mV. @ max vol.
    - Power requirement: 240VAC 50Hz.

Anyway, that's my ramble. I enjoyed building the speakers, especially when they sounded so good (to me anyway)
    Attached Images

goughy

Just saw an add in a magazine for a $4000 harmon kardon surround amp and it's supplied remote is a harmon kardon badge logitech harmony remote, I think a 550.

I was at Officeworks last night. They had Harmony 525's for $189.95. The thing that caught my attention was a Harmony 520 (old model? ) for $89.95.

Goughy, what happened to the Topfield?

FWIW, now that I'm home, I can confirm that my Yamaha Receiver IS a RX-V657.

I'm not long home from golf so I'm in the middle of setting up the iMac atm. More on that later.

goughy

Goughy, what happened to the Topfield?
    Working and in the bedroom. Not where I wanted it, but the cabling to the tv in the lounge room must not be just right, as the signal breaks up all the time on it. The cheapy stb in the lounge has no probs with the signal. Go figure.

How we got the topfield working is a story in itself. Needless to say we've only been using it for maybe 3 months tops now!

goughy

I was at Officeworks last night. They had Harmony 525's for $189.95. The thing that caught my attention was a Harmony 520 (old model? ) for $89.95.
    I believe there's nothing wrong with the 520 as such. I think the 525 has some extra buttons designed for stb's, and maybe pvr's. Plus it has the 4 coloured buttons down the bottom for teletext. But I think that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post

I believe there's nothing wrong with the 520 as such. I think the 525 has some extra buttons designed for stb's, and maybe pvr's. Plus it has the 4 coloured buttons down the bottom for teletext. But I think that's all.
    I might have to go & grab one then.

Check out the xbox version, of the harmony remote cheaper and i think identical features.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club Pro

For any other DIY people http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/
    A few years ago my wife was able to snipe a set of Accusound speakers from this Ebay mob http://stores.ebay.com.au/THE-AUDIO-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Shipping was expensive but if you're in Sydney you can pick them up

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Check out the xbox version, of the harmony remote cheaper and i think identical features.
    The thing that caught my attention was a Harmony 520 (old model? ) for $89.95.
    Cheaper than $90?

i was definitely referring to the 525, OTOH the 520 is lacking some features
    --
    Handy-Cap

Last edited by Courty; 21st May 2007 at 02:50 PM.

Except ebay.
    Including postage, they have gone for as low as $101 in auctions. (Harmony 520 as low as $80).

However, the postage from Courty's link is $10 to my postcode, which makes it $109 all up, which avoids the inconvenience of bidding.

I don't want to have to do my usual anal research into a purchase, so if you guys in the know think it's tops, I'll risk it and trust you.
    goughy has given this one the big thumbs up, would you agree, Courty?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Mate got the Harmony 525 for Xmas from the gf (what a great girl) and loves it, trying to convince mine that we need one, but she doesn't believe me.

I'm going to hide the recorder remote so she can't record Home & Away, watch the shit hit the fan then
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Except ebay.
    Including postage, they have gone for as low as $101 in auctions. (Harmony 520 as low as $80).

However, the postage from Courty's link is $10 to my postcode, which makes it $109 all up, which avoids the inconvenience of bidding.

I don't want to have to do my usual anal research into a purchase, so if you guys in the know think it's tops, I'll risk it and trust you.
    That's a good price for the 525. Seeing as home theatre is largely my profession I can honestly say after using several of these remotes that they are .... tops . Easy to program (web based), activity based, great product database and can control up to 15 devices!

Go for it!

Paul

Comparisons of the 525 with the 520 and Xbox models:
    http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s...hl=harmony+525
    http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s...=harmony&st=20

I also went for a wander around the city and didn't find anything exciting about the prices, except the 520 in Officeworks for $99 (525 - $189, Xbox - $179), and the Xbox model in JB Hifi for $99 (although there was a second one tagged with $189 ).

I also noticed that the Xbox model handles 12 devices compared to the 525's 15 devices.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've been meaning to get a universal remote as well, but just haven't got around to doing the research. Now it seems like it's all done for me, so I'm now in the market for a 525.

With the setup being all web based, does this mean you dont need the existing remote to set up the 525???

AP - Want to share shipping costs if possible?

Thread Information