Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Afl 2022

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    "practicing homosexuality is a sin" is not extreme?
    Based on the definition of sin, it is a sin.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Based on the definition of sin, it is a sin.
    To be fair, pretty much everything is a sin, including playing AFL. They wear clothes made from two different fibres, they play with a leather ball, they play on a Sunday. All sins of equal severity to them rooting their teammates.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Aye Spud Greene wants out of your beloved Giants…?
    No.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey86 View Post
    I don't think you can be a leader of two organisations at the same time that have completely opposing values. If he was just a regular church member like some of the players probably are then it may be different, but how they missed or ignored how he left nab is more of an issue I would have thought.
    How far down the Essendon job ladder does he need to be before his church leadership is not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    To be fair, pretty much everything is a sin, including playing AFL. They wear clothes made from two different fibres, they play with a leather ball, they play on a Sunday. All sins of equal severity to them rooting their teammates.
    As far as I can tell that’s pretty much their point. All suns are equal, all sinners are treated equally. Adulterers, thieves, hetero pre-marital rooters, homosexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    How far down the Essendon job ladder does he need to be before his church leadership is not an issue?
    How far down the ladder is their AFLW side?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    How far down the ladder is their AFLW side?
    They have an AFLW side???

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    They have an AFLW side???
    Misogynist

Misogynist
    Probably lucky I don't follow it, I don't want to listen to them prattle on about all the abortions they can't have.

As far as I can tell that’s pretty much their point. All suns are equal, all sinners are treated equally. Adulterers, thieves, hetero pre-marital rooters, homosexuals.
    Difference is though that all but one of those things people engage in by choice.

Difference is though that all but one of those things people engage in by choice.
    People don’t choose to fall in love with someone who’s married or with someone before either of them are married to each other.

People don’t choose to fall in love with someone who’s married or with someone before either of them are married to each other.
    #loveislove baby

Maybe not, but people do choose to cheat on their spouse initially. If people want to get into bed before marriage that's their choice to do so as well. They could choose not to, but unless they're a devout whatever religion why would they?

Maybe not, but people do choose to cheat on their spouse initially. If people want to get into bed before marriage that's their choice to do so as well. They could choose not to, but unless they're a devout whatever religion why would they?
    Interesting view. So it’s not the thought but the acting on it which is the wrongdoing?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

He hasn't as yet stated his beliefs, and doubt that he will. It's not him being a member of the church that's an issue! I have some amazing friends that are members of various local churches, yet are also completely accepting of LGBTIQ+ communities and individuals, along with evolution etc etc.
    He's not just a member of the church, he's of high standing within it and chairman! Would you be chairman of a church without having complete faith and belief in it's teachings? If that faith doesn't mesh with the direction and beliefs of the club, how in the world could you possibly have the trust of the players, employees, and members, to be able to run it?

I don't know if he had the choice to choose one or the other? If he did, well he made his choice and that also speaks to where he stands.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    He hasn't as yet stated his beliefs, and doubt that he will. It's not him being a member of the church that's an issue! I have some amazing friends that are members of various local churches, yet are also completely accepting of LGBTIQ+ communities and individuals, along with evolution etc etc.He's not just a member of the church, he's of high standing within it and chairman! Would you be chairman of a church without having complete faith and belief in it's teachings? If that faith doesn't mesh with the direction and beliefs of the club, how in the world could you possibly have the trust of the players, employees, and members, to be able to run it?I don't know if he had the choice to choose one or the other? If he did, well he made his choice and that also speaks to where he stands.
    Yes, Essendon gave him a choice to stick with the club or the church, in terms of a leadership role anyway.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

That’s the beauty of it. If I’m going to hell for eating shellfish or wearing a cotton/polyester shirt anyway, I may as well really give it a crack and run afoul of as many rules in the good book as possible. Still probably won’t root any blokes but fair play to anyone that wants to.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

That’s the beauty of it. If I’m going to hell for eating shellfish or wearing a cotton/polyester shirt anyway, I may as well really give it a crack and run afoul of as many rules in the good book as possible. Still probably won’t root any blokes but fair play to anyone that wants to.
    Amen.

Although if we go to hell I don’t think it’ll be this bloke’s version. He doesn’t seem to think it works that way.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Aye Spud Greene wants out of your beloved Giants…?
    It's Tom Browne.97% of things linked to him this week are complete fabrications to generate clicks.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Interesting view. So it’s not the thought but the acting on it which is the wrongdoing?
    Generally yes. Same with the beliefs, even though they may be ridiculous or horrible or whatever the case, it's when people use them to treat others like garbage, harm them etc. that there's a problem. And it does happen.

Generally yes. Same with the beliefs, even though they may be ridiculous or horrible or whatever the case, it's when people use them to treat others like garbage, harm them etc. that there's a problem. And it does happen.
    You sound like you agree with Andrew Thorburn.

You sound like you agree with Andrew Thorburn.
    I don't know what his views are, but acting on thoughts or beliefs doesn't have to be only physical. Someone could have racist thoughts about someone and say nothing, or verbalise it and out themselves as a racist piece of trash. Same as that merry bunch of stone age mentality cockwombles bleating about "sins". Why do they care so much about who complete strangers sleep with or fall in love with, it doesn't affect them in any way. The issue with the Essendon debacle had nothing to do with Thorburn's beliefs anyway, it's that whether he does or not, the public perception is that being the chair of those looneys he endorses their stance. How can he be CEO of another organisation at the same time whose values are completely at odds with that? It's a clear conflict, you can't be for and against something at the same time.

I don't know what his views are, but acting on thoughts or beliefs doesn't have to be only physical. Someone could have racist thoughts about someone and say nothing, or verbalise it and out themselves as a racist piece of trash. Same as that merry bunch of stone age mentality cockwombles bleating about "sins". Why do they care so much about who complete strangers sleep with or fall in love with, it doesn't affect them in any way. The issue with the Essendon debacle had nothing to do with Thorburn's beliefs anyway, it's that whether he does or not, the public perception is that being the chair of those looneys he endorses their stance. How can he be CEO of another organisation at the same time whose values are completely at odds with that? It's a clear conflict, you can't be for and against something at the same time.
    The public perception can be wrong.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I'm sorry? Equating abortion to concentration camps (whether you have to go looking for it or not) and "practicing homosexuality is a sin" is not extreme?
    To be fair Webster answered your proposition already, did you miss it ? https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...=1#post1465602
    Extreme by definition means as far as can go, or cannot be worse. Considering that many countries criminalise homosexuals by public canning, jail or even execution the stated position of the City on the Hill church is indeed extreme, in the opposite.

https://resources.cityonahill.com.au...iage#melbourne We can love, support, and care for those in the queer lifestyle as human beings made in the image of God, without endorsing their sinful lifestyle.
    as for the abortion matter, you have been misled by the twisted media. There is nothing extreme about holding the view that abortion is the taking of a human life. If only people would follow the science.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It's on their website for all to see what they stand for, that's promotion. Nobody is denying people the right to believe whatever they believe, but people also have the right not to be vilified by these morons simply for being born a certain way.
    Its on their website for their purpose. Nobody is being forced to look at it, and nobody has been vilified - except Andrew Thorburn and anyone sticking up for him, like calling them morons or stone age mentality cockwombles. But hey bring it on, I love this shit. especially now that 3puttpete agrees with me on something.

I don't think you can be a leader of two organisations at the same time that have completely opposing values. If he was just a regular church member like some of the players probably are then it may be different, but how they missed or ignored how he left nab is more of an issue I would have thought.
    Point of order, he was CEO of Essendon FC, but Chairman of the Board at his Church, the board is their in a governance role. Does not set policy or define theology. He was CEO of NAB and championed the rainbow cause during his tenure, as revealed in the Age today, he signed up for gay marriage, sponsored AFL pride round, sponsored a gay festival and handed out cards with rainbows on them. As CEO he is very much in control of those matters. Seems like his track record in that regard should he highly valued at Essendon.

I know what you read, but you read it wrong. But however I give you credit for your last sentence, you are right. There is no sin considered more severe than any other. (there is one but thats too complex for this discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I have some amazing friends that are members of various local churches, yet are also completely accepting of LGBTIQ+ communities and individuals
    there is nothing special about that, all churches do, including Andrew Thorburns church.

Why do they care so much about who complete strangers sleep with or fall in love with, it doesn't affect them in any way.
    That is a really fair question. On the other hand why do people care so much what other complete strangers think or believe that they want to completely eliminate them from society.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information