Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

View Poll Results: Which dominant eye type are you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same side dominant

7 46.67%
  • Cross dominant

8 53.33%

Threaded View

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Whats your dominant eye?

Most of you would know we humans have a dominant eye, but perhaps you havent thought about how it might affect your golf. I have recently learned, its much more significant than I thought. As golfers we are one of two types.
    1. Same side dominant, ie play golf right handed, and right eye dominant ( or for left handed, left eye dominant)
    2. cross dominant, ie play golf right handed, and left eye dominant ( or vica versa)

If you dont know what you are - google it simple test.
    If i remember correctly, dominant eye is relied on for accurate positioning, the other eye is for distance.

We are affected in two ways - should all make sense if you think about it.
    - a same side dominant golfer can lose sight of the golf ball if his backswing is too long.
    - a cross dominant golfer has much less trouble aiming because his dominant eye is on the side of the target.

Now apparently, 70% of people generally are same side dominant, BUT, about 70% of best golfers in the world are cross dominant, thats a statistical anomoly!
    further, most cross dominant golfers have fairly orthodox golf swings, Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus for example,
    and many same side dominant golfers have quirky swings, like Jim Furyk

probably the same effect applies batsman in cricket, and might explain why some people prefer to play a two handed sport cackhanded, perhaps the reason it felt better for them, is because of the dominant eye.

Knowing which is your dominant eye might help your golf, especially if you are same side dominant, as there are a few things you can do to help yourself out. Added a survey here to see if it is true that 70% of golfers are same siders.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 21st April 2022 at 10:33 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information