With a visiting team actually playing a game in Australia, I think it is appropriate to start the new yearly thread. Those who wish to discuss the Culture Review and other matters from last year can do so in either thread, I would think.

I'm going to start with news of one of the last events of the 18/19 season. I've got a ticket to the first day of the 4th Test of the Ashes in Manchester next September. So that is obviously my next holiday destination. I think I'll order myself a stupid Aussie fancy dress hat for Christmas, just so I'll fit in. Another bucket list item crossed off.

As to what is on my TV right now, it might be a meaningless exhibition one-dayer on a fairly spicy pitch in Canberra, but Dale Steyn still looks like a champion bowler.

A question for my WA cricket expert friend Yossarian. I didn't even know that Phillippe was a keeper. Is he any good? He's made some Shield runs. If he can keep, he could be worth a tour as reserve keeper/bat to see if he has the goods, assuming he keeps making runs.