My beard is getting a bit long, and I was planning on giving it a trim back to something a bit more neat and tidy. However over the past month, I was thinking that I could use my beard for good, instead of evil, by using it to raise money for charity. The charity is the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation, in particular, the Oncology Unit.

Why this charity? Well for those who don't know, one of the founders of this golf forum, Leon Treadwell, passed away from cancer just over 10 years ago, and the Toowoomba Hospital provided care for him. This golf forum has raised over $10,000 for this charity over the last 6 years, and have always participated in the golf day in his memory at Toowoomba City Golf Club. With this charity, I know that the donated money is going towards things that matter like equipment, beds, etc, but with some of the bigger charities, who knows how much money goes to "running costs".

I am going to open up the future of my beard for bidding until Jan 8, 2017. You can either bid for me to get rid of it, and it will be gone on Jan 9 (return to work after Xmas), or you can bid for me to continue growing it, and it stays until April 21, 2017 (Leon Treadwell Memorial Golf Day), at which point I will also shave the whole thing off.

I don't really like either of these options. The long beard is hot, food gets stuck in it (especially Coco Pops), and my wife hates it. I don't want it all gone either, because I like having a beard, and I think there is now an extra chin or two under there, that wasn't there before, plus going through that itchy beard phase, if I grow some of it back, won't be fun. But this is the sacrifice that I am willing to make for a good cause.

Here's the beard now, and the summary of your donation options.

Beard On
- Beard must continue to be grown without trimming until April 21, 2017
- The beard will taken off during/after the Leon Treadwell Memorial Golf Day

Beard Off
- Beard will be completely taken off (clean shaven) on Jan 9, 2017

I thought of doing a gofundme page, but they take 7% of the payments, and I want as much as possible to go directly to the charity.

Donations can be made via paypal to andyp@ozgolf.net.
paypal.me/ozgolf

Or you can make a direct deposit to the following bank account.
AP Holden
BSB 064183
Acc 10264739

Please leave your donation decision, "beardon" or "beardoff", in the payment reference/comments.

I will continue to provide donation and beard updates throughout.