Well subs are due for another year at Nudgee and aside from a newsletter that came out in April I'm pretty much in the dark about how the Gateway Motorway redevelopment will effect my club.
Purely from a selfish once a week golfer point of view I'm not sure if I want to pony up full fees if in a couple of months half of the the South course is gone and we are putting on temporary greens.
G69 has passed on some tidbits to us that he has heard on the grapevine ranging from the club losing the driving range to an aquatic driving range out the front of the proshop.
Maybe I'm overreacting here and maybe the club is still waiting on decisions themselves from Main Roads but some news would be helpful.
Here is the April newsletter.

NEWSLETTER - APRIL 2008
GATEWAY ARTERIAL UPGRADE

At the annual general meeting held in December 2007 the Board advised that the General Manager and I had been in ongoing discussions with Officers from the Department of Main Roads and their Consultants regarding the upgrading of the Gateway Arterial and I indicated that it would be the end of March before further information would be available. Further information has been tabled and we are now entering the next phase of the process.

But first I wish to convey my thanks to all Members for their support of the Board for the past two years and for your vote of confidence in returning the same Board for the current two years. My thanks extend to the “Ordinary” Members, Five Day Members, Lady Members and the Staff who make every effort to make our time at the Club enjoyable.

Back to the future of our Club and golf facilities.

In January Main Roads commissioned four Golf Course Architectural Firms to report on the impacts that could occur if the Department resumes approximately 7 hectares of land from the South Course for the Gateway upgrade. These reports have been tabled and are being reviewed by the Departments Consultants, our General Manager and myself. The Department have not approved the release of the reports to the Club at this point in time.

The confidentiality maintained during the commissioning of the Architects has resulted in four very independent reports addressing the major issues which are:-

The containment of existing facilities in a reduced area of land.
The rearrangement or reduction of facilities.
The acquisition of additional land.
The possible redesign of the golf course.

The reports all conclude that comparable facilities to the existing facilities cannot be contained in a reduced area and that additional land is required if we are to maintain a comparable 36 hole facility.

We have advised the Departments Consultants that the Club has no interest in accepting a reduction to the existing facilities but we would be agreeable to redesign if additional land was available.

I would like to make the comment that discussion about possible course design is not relevant until the Department advises whether additional land is available and the Manager and I have offered the Department a continuing degree of confidentiality while they explore all the options.

We will keep you informed as further information becomes available.

Vern Smerdon
President.