Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Virge's Swing.

Hi Virge

I was told on another thread that you had back surgery a while back. I am due to get a microdisc soon. I read back through your swing thread to see the issues you had post op.

Do you have any advice in terms of how quick to come back? Swing changes I might need to make (appreciate you can't see my swing now)?

Cheers,

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jocker View Post
    Hi Virge

I was told on another thread that you had back surgery a while back. I am due to get a microdisc soon. I read back through your swing thread to see the issues you had post op.

Do you have any advice in terms of how quick to come back? Swing changes I might need to make (appreciate you can't see my swing now)?

Cheers,
    Sorry mate - i missed this.

Took me 6 months and a shitload of training to get back to something like normal. about 12 months to no longer care about the back.

I do have to stretch a bit to loosen it up - but all in all - it only stops me playing every now and then and a trip to Physio puts me right again.

i am 5 weeks into a swing rebuild with the boys up at the Glades.

Happy to share the progress and frustrations if anyone is interested.

many ... many frustrations.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Are you refining a conventional swing or heading a new way, ie biomechanics or natural swing path.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    i am 5 weeks into a swing rebuild with the boys up at the Glades.
    The Glades on the Gold Coast? I thought we locked you lot out. Are you doing modern thing, aka George Gankas. All the kids are doing it now. Please share, interested.

Yeah interested for sure. I have given up on a rebuild and just playing with what I’ve got. Sad but just can’t do what coaches tell me. 😔

I hope you stay strong and reap some rewards… 👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    The Glades on the Gold Coast? I thought we locked you lot out. Are you doing modern thing, aka George Gankas. All the kids are doing it now. Please share, interested.
    The wonders of TEAMS, video and other technical wizardry...

For those that dont know .. I was a plus marker before my back injury and eventual quittingness in 2014'ish. I am a student of Gary Edwin's right sided swing - have been for ages and i dont plan on changing.

What i have found amazing is that i still have all the old swings back to 2008 and even a few old lessons from the early 2000's. I will post up what i have and what the last three battles have been - i did get an encouraging email from Luke today - so i am much happier. Funny enough - the same faults i had in 2005 - i have 15 years later just on a fatter, older frame.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to seeing this!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Nice to hear your injuries may be behind you!!! Look forward to watching the progress...
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

OK then so first lesson...

https://youtu.be/pxmxUXg8ubQ

Gary looked at and politely said it wasn't complete shit - but that i had to fix the first move and setup by strengthening that right hand back under the shaft and not on top. (phrasing?)

My thoughts were that i should do this to get rid of the across the line look at the top.

Lesson 2 - a few days later

https://youtu.be/WAsJQTx08-s

i thought it looked better - he begged to differ. Right hand too weak and body shape was not good. - Fix the right hand and first 2 feet of the takeaway.

I have to add here that i had been absolutely flushing it. Like squishy goodness of flushness. i was so happy to send this in to be shot down almost immediately.

I had taken to the end of the day by pitching at one of the palm trees from 40m. Sent 30 balls towards it and hit the tree 11 times. I was waiting for him to tell me to join the tour...

Sadly no.

Lesson 3 - a week later and a lot of golf balls... like fking heaps.

https://youtu.be/kuKtRQJN24M

No longer laid off - takeaway nice and tight. Club now going up the right up and coming down on the right arm...

It all felt horrible, but the ball went towards the golf course sort of. Sent the video off and Luke came back and said... fix the right hand and the setup...

So i sent off a full blown 8 year old tantrum letter. Can get to that position but cant get back to the ball.. here are some photos - and it looks the same as Pamps and Brad... How the hell can i get back to the ball with my arms wrapped around my neck and my right wrist bowed with me standing up...

How about we try and fix something else.. cause i have just hit 5000 balls and cant find impact.

Blog Entries

That's not even close to an older and fatter frame.
    Welcome back, and good luck with the journey.
    I prefer the look of the first video, which means the second one probably works better.

p.s. Thanks for all the advice a decade ago. During this lockdown, I've built myself a practice area and a few old Virgisms keep springing up from the archives.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

So Lesson 4 . . . a little sheepish.

So Luke is on Holidays - and from a hotel room - he cranks up his camera and sends me a quick video lesson.

The absolute legend, calmly, says fix up your feet, square the left and fan the right. Setup with a bit more shape into my left side. "Send me some vids of you hitting like that and staying closed"

So i do it.. and it all sort of comes back into shape... the right arm softens and bends, I have room on the back swing and the bloody club isn't across the line.

And that is the story so far... this is lesson 4.

https://youtu.be/lyS-DU7Q7Ik

Pitching is still awesome for accuracy - haven't worked out distances yet, but that will come. Have no idea what putting is. But the ball is going somewhere near the golf course and i have a decent base to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    That's not even close to an older and fatter frame.
    Welcome back, and good luck with the journey.
    I prefer the look of the first video, which means the second one probably works better.

p.s. Thanks for all the advice a decade ago. During this lockdown, I've built myself a practice area and a few old Virgisms keep springing up from the archives.
    HA !!

On the day after that second lesson, i had this move where i would stay a little closed and hit the ball with what felt like both my right and left palms facing almost up. The palm tree is 109m away and i was hitting the top of it with PW every 3rd or 4th time. I was drawing it in from the right, little cut shot from the left, hitting it low and then bashing it over... I was dead set king of the golf course. Had two blokes come over during the day asking for lessons... My head was as big as the 8th green, my chest was out.. "this golf shit is easy", then Gary ruined it and all i could do was shank it at people on the practice green.

T'is a cruel game and once this COVID nonsense is over... you and me are catching up for a game and a cleansing drink of some kind. I did look forward to those Thursday nights of unlimited balls.

If you didnt say you were been coached by the Edwin team I would have picked it in 1 second.

I do like the recentering move before you start down. I need that.

Whats the deal with keeping trail foot heel planted in that last video? Some might say thats hitting off the back foot but it obviously isnt.

Who do you go to for lessons now? What’s the current swing bud?

If you didnt say you were been coached by the Edwin team I would have picked it in 1 second.

I do like the recentering move before you start down. I need that.

Whats the deal with keeping trail foot heel planted in that last video? Some might say thats hitting off the back foot but it obviously isnt.
    Yeah - It stands out doesn't it.

Have a look in that first and second swing. Can you see how my right elbow gets behind my right hip? If that happens - i cant release the club-head with by upper body, i have to flip the hands through impact or hold it open to keep it square.'ish. Look 2 frames post impact and my right knee is bent and i am way behind with my hands flipped over. No good golfer looks like that.

So square the left and fan the right foot and then lean a little into the left.. Soften the right elbow so the down swing is more of an axe chopping motion with the right arm, and i can do this motion through impact without the right leg being bent. Through impact looks so much better and this is what Luke really fixed for me. The PW drill shows it, still not 100% but much better.

This also gives me the same club-head loft through impact - which is what i have struggled with. Distance control... especially with 8 iron up.. fking awful distance control.

Quote Originally Posted by dee cee View Post
    Who do you go to for lessons now? What’s the current swing bud?
    Been Gary/Luke Edwin, and Don Fardon since just before 2000. Don passed away way too early, when a brain aneurysm got him at 57 late last year, top bloke and awesome golfer.

https://www.garyedwin.com/

Yeah - It stands out doesn't it.

Have a look in that first and second swing. Can you see how my right elbow gets behind my right hip? If that happens - i cant release the club-head with by upper body, i have to flip the hands through impact or hold it open to keep it square.'ish. Look 2 frames post impact and my right knee is bent and i am way behind with my hands flipped over. No good golfer looks like that.

So square the left and fan the right foot and then lean a little into the left.. Soften the right elbow so the down swing is more of an axe chopping motion with the right arm, and i can do this motion through impact without the right leg being bent. Through impact looks so much better and this is what Luke really fixed for me. The PW drill shows it, still not 100% but much better.

This also gives me the same club-head loft through impact - which is what i have struggled with. Distance control... especially with 8 iron up.. fking awful distance control.

Been Gary/Luke Edwin, and Don Fardon since just before 2000. Don passed away way too early, when a brain aneurysm got him at 57 late last year, top bloke and awesome golfer.

https://www.garyedwin.com/
    Wow I didn't know that about Don Fardon junior. His father Don senior was a magistrate and the best golfer in North Qld by a mile. I played a lot of my junior days with Don junior.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Wow I didn't know that about Don Fardon junior. His father Don senior was a magistrate and the best golfer in North Qld by a mile. I played a lot of my junior days with Don junior.
    It was a shitty outcome. Just such a nice bloke and very straight forword teacher.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

It was very sad news about Don. A very fine golfer….and a better bloke!

how is the back going Virge? I thought you were swinging the club pretty well on that day at AGC.
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Yeah - It stands out doesn't it. Have a look in that first and second swing. Can you see how my right elbow gets behind my right hip? If that happens - i cant release the club-head with by upper body, i have to flip the hands through impact or hold it open to keep it square.'ish. Look 2 frames post impact and my right knee is bent and i am way behind with my hands flipped over. No good golfer looks like that.
    That seems like describing early extension? I hit a few balls and tried to keep my trail heel planted, obviously it cant, but we try, so the foot pronates rather than get up on toes by impact.

From the DTL view that seems to reduce early exension because right knee movinh towards left side rather than out in front of me and also the club path and arms rotate to the left after impact sooner and lower.

I think we are both saying the same thing? Just trying to get my head wrapped around it all.

That seems like describing early extension? I hit a few balls and tried to keep my trail heel planted, obviously it cant, but we try, so the foot pronates rather than get up on toes by impact.

From the DTL view that seems to reduce early exension because right knee movinh towards left side rather than out in front of me and also the club path and arms rotate to the left after impact sooner and lower.

I think we are both saying the same thing? Just trying to get my head wrapped around it all.
    With you sort of.

My pick is the right hip.. the downswing right elbow IMO feels like it should lag / lever against that right hip, but the upper body has to be in the right position to do that...

Look at Toolish swing. his upper body is going backwards on the downswing and the lower body is sliding.. so his right arm HAS TO extend way too early... but it is all because his backswing is so jammed up - he has no alternative but to do this.

All my latest work has been to get the upper body in the right place so that i can get the arms to work correctly on the way down.

Compare that right leg now... but also notice how different the takeaway is...

Have to get one right so that you can execute the other.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Yeah, sad hey. My dad knew him and I used to play with in the magistrate social as a young fella.

I was getting coached by Don before I went away.

Virge, I am back seeing Gary. Honestly could listen to him all day. I have my first lesson up on his website from a couple years ago. I have just had a few months of renovating and we just had a little popper. Back into the grind again while I am on leave. Have the lefts at the moment but that is a trust issue

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    Yeah, sad hey. My dad knew him and I used to play with in the magistrate social as a young fella.

I was getting coached by Don before I went away.

Virge, I am back seeing Gary. Honestly could listen to him all day. I have my first lesson up on his website from a couple years ago. I have just had a few months of renovating and we just had a little popper. Back into the grind again while I am on leave. Have the lefts at the moment but that is a trust issue
    Congrats on the little popper!!

Thread Information