Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Virge's Swing.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Practicing in bare feet.... is that actually beneficial or just a golfing myth?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Practicing in bare feet.... is that actually beneficial or just a golfing myth?
    No idea mate . . . whatever works i guess.

It is probably why he is not using his legs as good as he could . . .

I would not recommend it for an advanced golfer as the lower half is where teh power is, I want to use teh ground to get the pivot working. . . but he could be working on balance or his lower half action.

It is only the one swing we have seen.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

The other thing I don't like is practising whilst standing on balance boards, wobble discs etc.

Good balance during the golf swing is a by-product of good sound technique, not because of golfer's innate sense of balance or because he practised balancing on one foot, etc.

I'd been having problems with balance through impact lately and after a simple tip from Virge yesterday, my balance was better instantly. My snap hooks went away too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I'd been having problems with balance through impact lately and after a simple tip from Virge yesterday, my balance was better instantly. My snap hooks went away too.
    Which is.....?
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

I was leaning too far back (ie away from the target)

I was having a think today... I played with Anthony Summers a few weeks ago and he is only a little bloke, but he hits the ball about the same distance as I do. It also makes a slightly different sound.

Well - Duh... He is a bit of a decent player.

But - he hits the ball the same distance as me, with less effort, less speed and he isn;t as strong as I am.

So the next few weeks, seeing as I am not going to make the Pennant team will be spent practicing at 80% and we shall see what happens.

The hard bit is to not get lazy and not turn... but anyway - lets see.

Also to add to this is my Equipment.

I have a superfast 2 in 10.5 and 15. The shafts were Reg so I changed them... but I butchered th replacement shafts. I had a fubiki in 73 stiff, but butchered the tip... so I am having a play.

Superfast v2 15 degree with a 70gr REAX shaft in stiff, Tipped 1 inch and playing 42 inches... Swingweight C9
    Superfast v2 10.5 with a 50gr REAX shaft in Stiff, tipped 1.25 inches and playing 44.5... Swing weight C9

Feels very light, but we shall see where the ball ends up today.

This should not work - but, necessity is the mother of invention.

If it ever stops raining... I play play golf again.

FFS

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Tomorrow in between squalls

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Talk about bloody squalls. Every time I take my clubs to work to get 9 holes in afterwards, it starts to get darker and have a bit of a piss down right around 4pm.

Well,

I am finished. It has taken the best part of 4 months and endless tantrums, but this is the end result. A shorter, more compact swing and better use of the lower half.

I still move a little off the ball on the takeaway and will work on some flexability for the backswing... but I am pretty happy with it. The major slide and low right arse is gone. The arms stay straighter and I am much better through the ball.

Looks very compact virge.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Well,

I am finished. It has taken the best part of 4 months and endless tantrums, but this is the end result. A shorter, more compact swing and better use of the lower half.

I still move a little off the ball on the takeaway and will work on some flexability for the backswing... but I am pretty happy with it. The major slide and low right arse is gone. The arms stay straighter and I am much better through the ball.

I would be working on a few things from where that is;

1- Tempo/Rhythm - You would find it a heck of a lot easier to stop that swaying away from the ball you get in the first part of your takeaway with a bit slower (more deliberate) takeaway.
    2- Club Face Rotation - At the moment, the club is quite closed through-out the takeaway, looks like in your case you need to hold off the release a little to square the club up at impact.
    3- Width - There is nothing wrong with compact swings (I have quite a short swing), but you need to create decent width for a couple of reasons. Firstly, width creates speed which of course means distance, the other thing you will notice with a wider swing arc is a shallower angle of attack into the ball, should give you a lot cleaner strike with longer clubs.
    4- Shoulder Turn - At the moment, the first part of the takeaway is dominated by the hands, the shoulders don't seem to make as bigger turn as they should which will ultimately be limiting your potential club head speed.

My 2c.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Sweet buns virge.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I'd start with pressure points and a reverse k

nice hat
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Sweet buns virge.
    yeah - i heard about you !

Quote Originally Posted by qbnchopper View Post
    I'd start with pressure points and a reverse k
    I LOL'ed

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    nice hat
    Yep - I am now rocking the bucket hat. Not sure if i am sold yet... they are a lot warmer then a normal hat . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Yep - I am now rocking the bucket hat. Not sure if i am sold yet... they are a lot warmer then a normal hat . . .
    You'd look like a roofing nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Progolfgear View Post
    I would be working on a few things from where that is;

1- Tempo/Rhythm - You would find it a heck of a lot easier to stop that swaying away from the ball you get in the first part of your takeaway with a bit slower (more deliberate) takeaway.
    2- Club Face Rotation - At the moment, the club is quite closed through-out the takeaway, looks like in your case you need to hold off the release a little to square the club up at impact.
    3- Width - There is nothing wrong with compact swings (I have quite a short swing), but you need to create decent width for a couple of reasons. Firstly, width creates speed which of course means distance, the other thing you will notice with a wider swing arc is a shallower angle of attack into the ball, should give you a lot cleaner strike with longer clubs.
    4- Shoulder Turn - At the moment, the first part of the takeaway is dominated by the hands, the shoulders don't seem to make as bigger turn as they should which will ultimately be limiting your potential club head speed.

My 2c.
    Many thanks for taking the time.

1. I have played at that speed for my entire golf life. Not going to slow it down unless i can find a real reason to.
    2. Exactly what i want. I dont rotate it open on the backswing anymore. Have a look at the top of the swing. It isn't pointing at the sky.
    Capture.JPG
    3 & 4. Yep - that is the next thing to work on ... I had back surgery a couple of years back with some rather serious complications. Gym work should help that out.

I want steep, I am still very shallow at the bottom... If I can get a bit more steeper, I find it easier to move the ball left and right with some control. As for width. You can only be as wide as your left arm. Left arm is straight, that is as wide as you can be unless I shift my weight to the right side... and that AINT going to happen any more than it is now.

I am modelling myself on Sean Foley's stuff, so that may explain the differences in models.

I should do a comparison for a laugh. . . even my old "good" swings are no where near as good as it looks now.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by live4golf View Post
    You'd look like a roofing nail.
    A roofing nail with awesome buns.

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Looking good, Virge.

At address, you look to be off the wall with your lower body...not as much tuck in the right side as in earlier swings. Is that intentional? If so, why the change?

Also, if you would, please comment about your practice downswings in your January 2012 swing vids.

Thank you.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

nice hat
    The similarities are uncanny...
    Attached Images

Thanks Waz . . .

I will get back to you Ed.

Virge, correct me if i'm wrong ..... but have you got a bit of a chickenwing thing happening there with the right arm ?
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Virge, correct me if i'm wrong ..... but have you got a bit of a chickenwing thing happening there with the right arm ?
    Yes and No.

I dont have much shoulder turn - so the right elbow is always going to fly... But Nicklaus and Couples did ok with it . . . so not really THAT important.

Secondly - Chicken is usually defined by the left arm on the follow through - usually caused by a dodgey lower body action - ie... STOPPING.

If the hips dont move through impact the momentum of the clubhead creates the Chook Arms.

Thread Information