Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Virge's Swing.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Got a lot out of this thread, thanks to everyone who has posted. Even that scottt/zigwah battle.

Virge your swing looks awesome.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Got a lot out of this thread, thanks to everyone who has posted. Even that scottt/zigwah battle.

Virge your swing looks awesome.
    Wait till you see Tomsen's... With the game on Saturday... I will do shots of everyone using my new 500 frames per second camera.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Can we get one of me doing the shimmy? Just to make Jarro happy

"That former Solahart manager is so overbearing and intimidating"."

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Wait till you see Tomsen's...
    Don't give him a headswell.

I will do shots of everyone using my new 500 frames per second camera.
    Uh-oh.

Please don't, I'm in denial.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Uh-oh.

Please don't, I'm in denial.

If I'm gonna do it. For damn sure you are....although I'm not sure the forum software could handle my swing in 500 frames per second

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Is the camera mega wide angle?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Virge will have to film from the next fairway over

If Haysey is up for it - I am happy to spend some time and sort out the seven different body moves he has on the backswing.

The funny bit is that his practice swing is sensational - but stick a ball in the way and the only thing that doesn't move it his bowels.

I may have to abbreviate Courty's swing.. the 27 second backswing takes up about 200MB by itself.

If Haysey is up for it - I am happy to spend some time and sort out the seven different body moves he has on the backswing.

The funny bit is that his practice swing is sensational - but stick a ball in the way and the only thing that doesn't move it his bowels.

I may have to abbreviate Courty's swing.. the 27 second backswing takes up about 200MB by itself.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Blog Entries

the only thing that doesn't move it his bowels
    Are you sure about that?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Nice piece of computer work with your swing in PP FNQ mate. Your comments on the vid. indicated that you may be searching for a feeling....it is so damn hard trying to sort out our own golf swings by ourselves. Being a tall person you should be able to get a full shoulder turn with the feeling that the feet and lower body hasn't moved; it does of course but the feeling is that it doesn't. If you can't get this feeling then your core muscles are not fully relaxed. Any tightness in the abs, lower back & obliques will engage the hips too early pulling that left leg inwards and rolling the left foot. I think the feeling you want at the top of the backswing is to have both feet planted firmly on the ground for the forward swing. I don't and never have liked the bump or lateral move that the swing guru's advocate, particularly in taller golfers. My preference for me is to have the feeling of pulling the left hip directly behind me to start the downswing which has an element of lateral movement as a result of shifting the weight to the left leg. These are a few ideas to throw into the mix of things to work on.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    Nice piece of computer work with your swing in PP FNQ mate. Your comments on the vid. indicated that you may be searching for a feeling....it is so damn hard trying to sort out our own golf swings by ourselves. Being a tall person you should be able to get a full shoulder turn with the feeling that the feet and lower body hasn't moved; it does of course but the feeling is that it doesn't. If you can't get this feeling then your core muscles are not fully relaxed. Any tightness in the abs, lower back & obliques will engage the hips too early pulling that left leg inwards and rolling the left foot. I think the feeling you want at the top of the backswing is to have both feet planted firmly on the ground for the forward swing. I don't and never have liked the bump or lateral move that the swing guru's advocate, particularly in taller golfers. My preference for me is to have the feeling of pulling the left hip directly behind me to start the downswing which has an element of lateral movement as a result of shifting the weight to the left leg. These are a few ideas to throw into the mix of things to work on.

Been thinking about the bump v's latteral shift of weight back to the left hand side most of the day.

What i came up with was that with less feeling of hip turn on the backswing, you get more of a feeling of a strong coil, making the weight shift feel more like a bump than a weight shift. Does that make sense at all.

I haven't put it into practice yet, but the practice swings feel a lot different and a lot more powerful with the "feeling of restricting the hips" just hoping i can do it for 9 holes .

Nice piece of computer work with your swing in PP FNQ mate.
    The swing was that smooth I thought i was looking at Tom Weiskopf.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

My preference for me is to have the feeling of pulling the left hip directly behind me to start the downswing which has an element of lateral movement as a result of shifting the weight to the left leg. These are a few ideas to throw into the mix of things to work on.
    The lateral bump is meant to load the arms for the change of direction - much like you left knee staying flexed and turning back towards the target.

I will try your way to see if I can get some feeling - but I would like to get my right shoulder to help out an stop being such a pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by zigwah View Post
    I haven't put it into practice yet, but the practice swings feel a lot different and a lot more powerful with the "feeling of restricting the hips" just hoping i can do it for 9 holes .
    Sounds good - go for it...

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    The swing was that smooth I thought i was looking at Tom Weiskopf.
    I have a new camera that does up to 1000fps on the video capture. he problem is the quality is not that good. So I sort of keep it at 200 or 400 fps, but it does the job - You can even see how Tomsen rotates his right hand a bit too early OR his body is too far behind on the downswing.

Pretty cool piece of kit - I shall bring it up to the Champs.

The lateral bump is meant to load the arms for the change of direction - much like you left knee staying flexed and turning back towards the target.

I will try your way to see if I can get some feeling - but I would like to get my right shoulder to help out an stop being such a pussy.
    When I try the lateral shift all I seem to get is slack creeping in to the through swing, which shows up later when the shoulders are called upon. There is no chance of slack rearing its ugly head when the left hip is pulled rearwards.

Another point to consider is that the hips move leftwards during the backswing, the more hip turn the more they move towards the left heel. It doesn't make sense to me to consciously move them further left where they will be on the outside of the left heel and all the potential problems that can cause. Once the downswing has begun, there's no changing it, unlike the backswing.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Pretty cool piece of kit - I shall bring it up to the Champs.
    I request a 1000fps slow-mo of SMS in full flight.

Banned

When I try the lateral shift all I seem to get is slack creeping in to the through swing, which shows up later when the shoulders are called upon. There is no chance of slack rearing its ugly head when the left hip is pulled rearwards.

Another point to consider is that the hips move leftwards during the backswing, the more hip turn the more they move towards the left heel. It doesn't make sense to me to consciously move them further left where they will be on the outside of the left heel and all the potential problems that can cause. Once the downswing has begun, there's no changing it, unlike the backswing.
    I see what your saying Raz, but as i am interpreting what you guys are both saying, it seems both things are there?

"bump" to start the swing, which i can feel and a split second after that, i'm firing my hips as fast as i can.

When you talk about the hips moving laterally during the backswing, is this the same as Hogan did?

When you talk about the hips moving laterally during the backswing, is this the same as Hogan did?
    When the hips turn during the backswing they shift towards the left heel. It's not a lateral move Zig. Yes Hogan did it and his action was very pronounced. He also had a definite lateral move to start the throughswing. I suspect the reason for that was he played the ball well forward in his stance and he had wide hips for his build. Hogan being left handed was extremely strong in his left side as can be seen by the amount of lag he generated in his swing. It certainly wasn't all from a tight coil or strong legs because they were tightly strapped from ankle to groin when he competed for years after his accident.
    Last edited by razaar; 17th September 2009 at 01:41 AM.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I request a 1000fps slow-mo of SMS in full flight.

You might have just cost yourself that promised 3am "tap on the shoulder".
    Forum needs more banter.

Blog Entries

It's like looking at a lava lamp. Get SMS and DC on the range, in the same shot!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Banned

When the hips turn during the backswing they shift towards the left heel. It's not a lateral move Zig. Yes Hogan did it and his action was very pronounced. He also had a definite lateral move to start the throughswing. I suspect the reason for that was he played the ball well forward in his stance and he had wide hips for his build. Hogan being left handed was extremely strong in his left side as can be seen by the amount of lag he generated in his swing. It certainly wasn't all from a tight coil or strong legs because they were tightly strapped from ankle to groin when he competed for years after his accident.
    Initially, to start the downswing, isn't this a lateral move or "bump" to the left? before your hips can turn?

So Hogan was the first wearer of skins?

Initially, to start the downswing, isn't this a lateral move or "bump" to the left? before your hips can turn?

So Hogan was the first wearer of skins?
    It is for Colin Montgomery, but not for those players who start with the left hip slightly forward (to get the upper body tilt at address) and don't have much hip turn. Too much of a lateral movement to the left tilts the body even further, dropping the head and right shoulder in the downswing lowering the swing plane - and if your posture is even slightly slumped you will be hitting the ball with your divot.

Monty has a lateral hip move on the takeaway, so his lateral move to start the downswing is needed if he is to get back his hip angle. His swing is unique on tour in that respect.
    Last edited by razaar; 17th September 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Banned

It is for Colin Montgomery, but not for those players who start with the left hip slightly forward (to get the upper body tilt at address) and don't have much hip turn. Too much of a lateral movement to the left tilts the body even further, dropping the head and right shoulder in the downswing lowering the swing plane - and if your posture is even slightly slumped you will be hitting the ball with your divot.

Monty has a lateral hip move on the takeaway, so his lateral move to start the downswing is needed if he is to get back his hip angle. His swing is unique on tour in that respect.
    Interesting Raz, I have found since trying to restrict my hips on the backswing, it is very hard, awkward to have a lot of lateral movement, well it doesn't feel like a lot, during the start of the downswing.

So if i restrict my hip turn on the backswing i feel this is seperating my top from bottom even more and leading to a fuller shoulder turn, but without the overswing, but it now feels like i need to have more of lateral move to start the downswing, a split second before firing the hips.

Doing all this i have found that i will hopefully stop the big chop divot that has crept in to my game Reading what you have written i'm thinking this was caused by too much movement to the left, making my bad shot straight right if i don't swing over the top and a pull left or snap hook if i do?

thanx for the replies

Any new vids to share Virge ?
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

I went for my first hit last night since I went to Cairns to play with Haysey, Tomo and Co in August last year. (Sensational couple of days BTW)

It looks like the back operation went well. I can only hit sort of 3/4 shots and spent most of the time doing pitching and posture drills. It was kind of weird going back to the range after not hitting a golf ball for six months. Narrabeen range needs some new mats !

The Staph infection though is still ingrained in there pretty good. I don't have much rotation or store up on the backswing, and I have a shitload of pain after hitting any longish clubs. Pulled everything longer than 5 iron a mile left.

Anyway, 3 more months of 15 pills a day and we should be apples. The doctor has put me on something called Clindamycine.

I must say it is nice to be near a golf club and golfing people again, I did miss it and I guess my short game and pitching will be getting a workout over the coming weeks.

Life is good...ish.

Thread Information