Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Virge's Swing.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

do you honestly have all those swing thoughts in your head...im amazed you can even hit the ball.. as you say nothing like actually playing to fine tune your game.. as jono said the last vid you posted looks more dynamic.. i agree , it looks like you are really attacking the ball... all we see is the swing, but more importantly, how is the ball flight..swing looks really good to my untrained eyes anyway.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    do you honestly have all those swing thoughts in your head...im amazed you can even hit the ball..
    No - I don't when playing. i usually just shut my eyes and see where it goes. Then I adjust the aim for the next shot. By the 3rd hole it is usually under control.

The problem is that my 3 shots are usually gone by then . . .

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    No - I don't when playing. i usually just shut my eyes and see where it goes. Then I adjust the aim for the next shot. By the 3rd hole it is usually under control.

The problem is that my 3 shots are usually gone by then . . .
    Hearing you on that one for sure!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I got the basic idea from this one, tho i reckon you've definitely seen it Ray. The rope vs axe handle.

A swinger basically holds the club in his left hand and pulls the grip end of the club down towards the ball - as if he is pulling on a rope. This technique is called the rope handle technique.

A hitter usesan axe handle technique whereby the right hand applies a radial force to the clubshaft at the grip end of the club. When hitting, a golfer applies an active right arm-powered force as push-pressure to the back side of the grip end of the shaft via push-pressure applied at pressure point #1 and #3.

Isn't that aTGM definition? A swing can still have the right hand releasing as you described for a hit. A takeaway with pronation has this right arm release through impact. A swing starts in the feet and allows rotation of the legs, hips and shoulders to provide the acceleration. The arms and hands are passive, allowing the club to do the work. Swingers are very particular of the ball position and the setup at address because the ball is not that important to the swing. IMO swingers are more tuned into their footwork rather than having upper body thoughts. Hitters focus is above the hips. There are shots in a round of golf where a swinger has to think like a hitter. Hitting out of a divot or cupped lie is one example.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Gentlemen of the Hitter's vs Swinger's debate.

Please stop or take your discussion to ISG where I am sure they will shower you with riches.

It is a stupid and pointless ****ing arguement. Hinge Actions, Pressure points and Power Accumulators are much more worthy of your time.

Enjoy

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

After looking at your swing I would only offer two points to look at.

Bottom hand is too weak.
    Right elbow is locked and sitting too high

Both these are causing you to swing a bit out and over.

Strengthen the bottom hand a tad, and bend your right elbow. This will drop your right shoulder and allow you to swing at the ball, instead of across it.

Action looks pretty solid.

Cheers steeler.

Agree completely

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

You have good flexibility and a nice turn.

I would kill for that kind of set on the backswing

Hey Virge, how is your swing going? Did you see any distance benefits from what we worked on at Port Kembla?

In a word, yes.

Honestly flushing it at present. Playing once every three weeks and worst round is 6 over.

I will post a video with the update as soon as I get some video.

6 Iron and 3 Wood.

Not happy with that backswing yet, but the right hip is going out towards the ball more instead of sliding closed towards the target.

The short irons are pure - the longer ones are a bit low - but they are not missing the greens by much at all on the bad ones. There is a much better flow to it than late last year and I am finding it easy to replicate.

Just have to work a bit more on that backswing - the right elbow is too close and is causing that across the line look and bent left arm. Right hand is still too weak and still restricts the right shoulder.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Nice bit of bend in the left arm Virge, reminds me of someone I know.

Stand up a bit taller and keep the weight more on the right side behind the ball through impact and you'll get more height on the longer clubs.

It's a very good simple golf swing. Well done.

It is a good swing. If you wish to improve it Virge, my recommendation is to work on creating more resistance in both the backswing and forward swing. The right elbow appears to lack resistance in the backswing and the left shoulder should be higher (through impact) resisting the forward release of the right side. With the added resistance on both sides of the swing, the hips have something to pull. Looking at the vid your shoulders are returning through impact on a similar plane to what they were at address.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Like it. I thought on the first swing you could compress a bit. Seemed at impact you were starting to come up out of it.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Blog Entries

looking sharp Virge. I sort of know what you're getting at with your backswing...but it is not terrible, it gets you in the right position to start your downswing.

The only advice I will give you is to buy more gear, that ALWAYS works. NO swing advice from me, until we get down the range together again

movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Virge,

Have you retired RSS again for the time being?

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    Virge,

Have you retired RSS again for the time being?
    Nope.

But I avoided video for about 2 months to see if instead of me trying to make my swing look good, I found a swing that I hit the ball good and then recorded that. And mate - I am flushing it and I can hit it both directions... actually the draw is a little "too drawie" but it isn't awful.

Wedge goes just under 120, 6 iron just over 160 and the hybrids are doing their job too.

To be honest - I am scared to change anything as it is working, but the other side of my brain is screaming at me about the ugly bits.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

To be honest - I am scared to change anything as it is working, but the other side of my brain is screaming at me about the ugly bits.
    Who gives a rats how the swing looks.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. - Ben Hogan

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Who gives a rats how the swing looks.
    Because when it goes to shit, I know how to fix it.

I have added 4 new moves to the latest incarnation. The backswing is steeper, the downswing is shallower, the right hip is moving out way more and there is less of a bump forward on the downswing. I am also a little more closed than I was at setup, and I don't have as much weight over my left side.

When you are playing off 1 or 2, it is rather important to know you own swing IMHO. If I start fanning shots out right, or hooking it, I can fix it without using my hands on the downswing... I don't want to wake up in the middle of a comp having no idea where the ball is going.

The problem I have is that EVERYTHING works on the range, and only being able to play every couple of weeks makes it really hard to see what works and what doesn't on the course.

I need to get rid of this stupid job and family, marry a supermodel who can support my hobbies and spend some time on the course !

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)
    Blog Entries

Default Virge's Swing.

Nope.

But I avoided video for about 2 months to see if instead of me trying to make my swing look good, I found a swing that I hit the ball good and then recorded that. And mate - I am flushing it and I can hit it both directions... actually the draw is a little "too drawie" but it isn't awful.

Wedge goes just under 120, 6 iron just over 160 and the hybrids are doing their job too.

I did this. Stopped with bloody video. And worked on one thing and one thing only (thanks Virge)

Since then, handicap has gone from 10.6 (anchored) back down to 6.3. Loving it. Absolutely pounding driver, irons are great also. Getting some great distances with irons. The iron I would normally hit to 130, I now hit to 155.

I would love to video it; as something has changed. But don't see the point.

Best thing about it; I'm leaving many shots out there due to short game. So I know I can go lower!
    Callaway RAZR-fit XTreme (9.5*,S) ,MATRIX 7M3 Black Tie X |TAYLORMADE RBZ Tour Spoon 13*, UST VTS Silver 60X SPX TOUR |TAYLORMADE RBZ Rescue 19*, UST VTS Silver 75HS SPX TOUR | PING i20 (4-W), Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 X | Nike Vr50.10, 54.12 and 58.10| NIKE Method 001 34"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Virge

Can you organise a group buy on supermodel, and a group sale on family.

Quote Originally Posted by Puji View Post
    I did this. Stopped with bloody video. And worked on one thing and one thing only (thanks Virge)
    Yeah - I think that is what has to happen. Video in bin.

BTW: Well done mate - nice handicap plummet.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    Virge

Can you organise a group buy on supermodel, and a group sale on family.
    yes I can - might take a bit longer than the Nunn tablets though

movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Nope.

Makes sense. The above video must be hard to watch though. You maybe on to something.

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Sweet buns.

Thread Information