Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    goughy

Default Ozgolf Championship Results

OK everyone. I knew some of you would be hanging out to hear what is happening today. Jarro has just sms'ed me the results from the morning round.

DougK (0) will only play the PM round....
    Jarro (12) 32
    AndyP (14) 30
    Choppa (20) 36

Tez (5) 29
    Gaz (10) 37
    Eags (15) 30
    Kee (27) 19

Blakey (5) 32
    Jono (10) 34
    Macleod (15) 30
    Andylo (27) 23

Vegas (6) 30
    Nudgee (10) 27
    Iain (16) 37
    Damo (25) 34

Senecio (10) 28
    Trung (9) 35
    Drunken (19) 27
    brooky17(17) 42!! Looks like we have a clubhouse leader. A lot of catchup work to be done.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Congrats Iain :P Can't hold us Logan boys down

Side note: how did you go with the bunkers

Congrats to you to Gaz :P 78's a great score down there

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Onewood
    Congrats Iain :P Can't hold us Logan boys down

Side note: how did you go with the bunkers

Congrats to you to Gaz :P 78's a great score down there
    Thanks Kev , didn't have any drama's with the bunkers, only got into a couple of them, but hit some nice shots out to a resonable postition to try and get the save.

Iain

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Jono's review

Not sure which thread to put this, but here goes.

I just got back to Sydney this evening (Monday). Thanks to all the QLD boys for welcoming Trung and myself to your neighbourhood, and thanks Eags for the lift in the "mobile" ... they don't build cars like that anymore, do they?

The golf, I think everyone would agree, was less than spectacular. However, we had a great time. In hindsight, I should have tried to get some more rest before setting off for the event ... Worked till midnight on Friday, slept about 5 hours, and slept total of about 4 hours on Saturday (thanks to "the call" from Trung ). Being enzyme deficient, drinking alcoholic beverage is always a challenge for me, and downing 4 beers Saturday night (not one, Trung ... ) was recipe for impending disaster ...

OK, all excuses aside, I kept myself in the hunt with 34 points in the morning round. Drove the ball pretty well all day, but iron play and putting left a lot to be desired. Got a few weird looks with my new putting style, and the ever-curious Andylo had a go with my sidesaddler. When he proclaimed that he was going to get one too, Blakey was quick to retort, "Only crazy people do that sort of thing" ...

Morning round was played in overcast conditions, with rain threatening but never eventuating. The new Ozgolf shirt breathes really well ... almost too well. Great for sunny days, but the cool conditions found me putting my sweater on and off all day. Andylo and Macca were great company and Blakey had his usual poker face (aka "Elliot face") on. I think it was later, when he realised that he had no hope of winning the nett nor the gross, that he finally flashed a smile ...

I was impressed with Andylo and Macca's swing speeds ... on their practice swings. Guys, you can really make a loud swish! If you can translate that into the real swing, you guys will be hitting long bombs all day. Blakey's gentle draws are great to watch. Very consistent. Even when he tries to fade, it draws ...

Afternoon round. Played with Damo, Jarro, and Trungo ... I developed a splitting headache during the lunchtime break, and found myself asking anyone and everyone for some panadol. Hmmm ... a doctor who can't even get himself panadol ... Luckly, the proshop sold some asprin, so I gave myself a generous 600mg dose. By about 5th hole, I was feeling much better.

I could tell Trung was feeling tired ... he wouldn't be human if he wasn't after staying up all night! However, he hit some great drives. When he tees it high and lets it fly, the ball really goes. Damo has the swing to make it to single figures pretty soon. Great balance and a simple looking swing. Perhaps if he can develop a little more lag, he will be able to hit it further. Anyway, watch out for damo in future Ozgolf events. Jarro sunk a few great putts with his trusty Scotty Cameron. That's one club you should hang onto for as long as possible, Jarro. His driver, on the other hand, was a bit shakey. He drove the ball much better when I played with him earlier in the year. I am sure Jarro will figure out why he didn't drive the ball as well as he usually does. Jarro's 2 iron got a workout yesterday, and when he got hold of it, he hit it far with good driving trajectory. Those Srixon irons are NICE ...

With the presentation ceremony over, I came back to the motel and CRASHED. Slept 12 hours straight and woke up refreshed this morning. I felt like calling everyone to come out for another 18 holes ... Anyway, I went back to the River Course to play in the Monday morning comp. This time, I only used the driver on straight holes, opting to tee off with 3 wood or 2 iron on dogleg holes. It payed off and I scored an "easy" 36 points. Said to myself, "why didn't I do this yesterday?"

Hmm ... this post is heading towards War and Peace, so let me finish by saying IT WAS A GREAT DAY. And Congrats Iain for being a worthy champion. For those who missed it, make sure you come next year. It will be bigger and better.

BTW, I took my new digital camera hoping to get everyone's swing on video, but only succeeded in getting AndyP's impersonation of Nudgee. I emailed it to clickchic so I hope she can post it on the forum.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Jono's review Got a few weird looks with my new putting style, and the ever-curious Andylo had a go with my sidesaddler. When he proclaimed that he was going to get one too, Blakey was quick to retort, "Only crazy people do that sort of thing" ... .
    I beleive the exact quote was "only mental patients......"

That sidesaddling stance was so bad, that i walked and talked all over one of Jono's putts cos I thought he was still only lining up his putt.

That river course is not that bad. The greens were tough but its a very short golf course. 9 of the holes are well below the 'mid-range' of their respective pars. At 5900m its very short for modern standards so they have made up some strokes by making the greens a lot harder.

The main problem for us was a lack of local knowledge combined with a stroke event that made it very easy to rack up very large numbers. After a couple of rounds under your belt there, it would be just like playing at home.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Moocow Report

Firstly apologies to those I didn't really get a chance to catch up with - will do so in future ozgolf days I'm sure !

Playing Partners

Iain - well what can I say that hasn't already be said ? - what an enigma [look it up Iain] - you could say the writing was on the wall literally the night before when we all saw the T Unit Graffiti - when it is your day you take it - well done .

Nudgee - this might sound strange but you never know what to expect from Nudgee - it's like buying $5 worth of mixed up lollies in a brown paper bag - you never know if he'll pull off a crappy gummy bear drive or a yahoo choo choo bar screamer - always an adventure - thanks Nudgee !

Vegas - first time I have played with Vegas so unsure of what to expect but thoroughly enjoyed it - a great dry sense of humour which I think helped keep my [rare] anger in check and his Harvey Penick like throwaway tips were inspirational and helped me get 34 pts when I was playing quite ordinary.

Jono - the quiet assassin !! - my god what a tee shot this guy hits ! - was the headache real or designed to lull us into a false sense of security? - and did he really take aspirin or something far more sinister ? -a great guy to play golf with - enjoyed playing with you [golf that is ! ] Jono

Jarro - the 2 iron was , for once, not the weapon it usually is which was a big surprise - he has an awesome short game and is always great to play with - very calm is Jarro - maybe he takes it out on someone when he gets home - has so many naughty movies he can't even give them away!

Trung - ah the human dynamo - what a livewire is Trung - and can he hit a long ball - love your smash the cover off the ball philosophy mate - kept on smiling even though he was doing it tough

THE COURSES
    West course is a distant 2nd to the River course - I was playing badly the 2nd 18 but still loved that course - too many bloody bunkers for my liking but I love the strategic aspect of the design and although the greens were diabolical [look it up Iain] I still loved them , pity it is so far away!

Other Highlights

Maccafoolishly deciding to enter the bathroom to brush his teeth after the cow had just dropped a load - I can still hear his gagging scream !!
    Eags
    taxi driver extrordanaire - thanks Eags !
    Tez- how many people you know would eat a 500g steak and vegies for an entree - you are an enigma [ask Iain]

many more highlights but should stop there - congrats to all who came along and to the organisers [even 69!] - looking forward to the next one

damoocow

so i guess all that needs to be said now is ...... what's the plan for next year
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trung
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppa
    While we're at it did you see Vegas' monster drive on the 18th. At least 340 meters, probably closer to 360 meters....HUGE
    It was around 260m into the wind, I had the yardage book with me.
    Come to think of it I am positive it was over 400 meters. Your yardage book must have been out.

Second shot was only a lob wedge wasn't it Vegas

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

While we're at it did you see Vegas' monster drive on the 18th. At least 340 meters, probably closer to 360 meters....HUGE
    It was around 260m into the wind, I had the yardage book with me.
    Come to think of it I am positive it was over 400 meters. Your yardage book must have been out.

Is that what he was telling you on the drive home?
    Mine was only 5m behind his, max.

sounds like you guys must have been on the wacky weed for the final 18 holes

The way he hit it, i thought it was a lob wedge
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake

enough already sheeesh. It was a cold-topped 3-wood. Not a sky, not a pop-up, and certainly wasn't a Lob Wedge. Move on, nothing to see here.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas
    Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake

enough already sheeesh. It was a cold-topped 3-wood. Not a sky, not a pop-up, and certainly wasn't a Lob Wedge. Move on, nothing to see here.
    Please explain

So you creamed your drive then nutted the next that popped up in the air giving the empression that you hit lobby .....Right

OR....did you just hit you lobby to give you the the correct yardage for you favorite approach distance

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

I'm pretty sure vegas said earlier he creamed the drive, cold topped the 3wood approach.. then made G.I.R with the lobby.

Should have seen the next shot from 230m when I attempted to get home in 2 for the fans..... Cold-topped 3 wood about 100 metres. Ended up having a 3rd shot of 140 metres...
    Lobby for 140m

Should have seen the next shot from 230m when I attempted to get home in 2 for the fans..... Cold-topped 3 wood about 100 metres. Ended up having a 3rd shot of 140 metres...
    Lobby for 140m
    he is a big boy

Lobby for 140m
    Pretty ordinary I agree, but Vegas said he only put a half swing on it.

Geezuz choppa! Stop it already. I never said I hit lobby into the 18th.

For what it's worth, I hit 7 iron from 140. But who cares???!!! Surely there are more interesting things to talk about....

golflink WITB

Yeah Choppa, leave Vegas alone :P

PS/ my lobby is about 60m

Senior Member Major Winner

Unless of course you knife it - i've found plenty of extra distance on my "shorter" irons that way

Stopping it on a green however...
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Ok I've had my fun now.

Although I was just talking with Vegas and he told me that he in fact hit 3 wood on the 18th (longest drive).

Ok I've had my fun now.

Although I was just talking with Vegas and he told me that he in fact hit 3 wood on the 18th (longest drive).

golflink WITB

Ok I've had my fun now.

How could Vegas hit one that far with the 3-Wood and then duffed the next one

Must be that half swing he spoke about from the midnight phone call :smt112 :smt105

3 Wood - no way. I would have really been upset if he outdrove me with a 3 Wood.

Anyway it was a 21 degree rescue club, into the wind, and he got it a bit heely.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Finally, the trophies and medallions have been presented.

Here are a few happy snaps:

I had to tell Gaz to sit down and take a few deep breaths, as the excitement of recieving the medallion was a little too much for him.

Just what Choppa needed. A permanent reminder of his 4 putt to lose the Champs.

Nearly 5 months on, and you still can't get the smile off the Champs face.
    (Kev, I'm sure you told Andylo to get out of the bloody way)

AndyP wrote
    (Kev, I'm sure you told Andylo to get out of the bloody way)
    I should've said the same to Jarro, gees he get's around when the cameras come out Check out the camouflage, that’s the bar he’s standing at, pretending to open his wallet to buy a beer, now that is a dead give away that Jarro is chasing the lime light [last pic]

Great pic's and great motivation for this years champs

Have the honor boards been updated

Thread Information