Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 90 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I've never looked at beep test stuff before, so I had a look at wikipedia.

I can do 5k at over 15.5kph, so can I assume that I would get near 13 in the beep test? Not from what I've read. I don't know how much the turns would take out of you.

It would be interesting to do one, just to see what it is.

FWIW the AFL Draft Camp record is 15.8 set in 2005 by Tom Rischbieth (since delisted as a rookie by the PAPs).

If you are interested you can download it from the defence force website

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/Fitness.htm

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Will look into both as the Liquid is way easier to consume on the paddle. Paddling makes most foods difficult to eat.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    AndyP - from experience, can I suggest you ditch the jelly bean idea and look for a different sugar alternative. They are frigging impossible to swallow when doing a long run. They tried giving them out at some of the half marathons I ran in, and in the Melb marathon, and for the following 2 km there was a trail of spat out jelly beans on the road. It wasn't only me having trouble.
    I trialled snakes pre-marathon on a long run, and they were hard enough to chew, so I didn't bother with solids at all really, just the powerade. Once you start getting out towards the 4hrs though, you would need something extra.

I didn't get around to jelly beans, although some CR members reckon the dinosaurs go down okay.

Did you bother with solids?

Member Club Pro

I trialled snakes pre-marathon on a long run, and they were hard enough to chew, so I didn't bother with solids at all really, just the powerade. Once you start getting out towards the 4hrs though, you would need something extra.

I didn't get around to jelly beans, although some CR members reckon the dinosaurs go down okay.

Did you bother with solids?
    I had some musk sticks. They dissolve in your mouth really well, but they tend to stick together and get messy before. Never really found the perfect answer that I could carry.

I prefer liquids really, never enjoyed eating anything while running. Gels were a disaster, trialled them once and limped home with excruciating stomach cramps.

The saviour for me in the marathon was the CR icy pole! Absolutely sensational. Obviously you can't carry it, so you need a 'supplier' - but it really helped a lot at the 35km mark! Highly recommended
    TM Tour R1 Black - Fuji Blur TS 65S
    TM Jetspeed Tour 15* - Motore Speeder TP X
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 18* - ProjX 6.0
    4-9 Titleist 714 AP2 - Proj X 5.5
    Vokey SM5 51*, 55*
    Cleveland 588REG. 60*
    TM Spider Limited

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Been a good running week for me this week. Did 3 loops of the kangaroo pt run on Wednesday for a total of 18.5km's. And did 2 of of the bigger loops this morning for about 16km.

Hopefully I can keep this up.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Good going, Iain, you are building those kilometres up.

You should have came to West End this morning to see me fail dismally at not only beating 40:30 in the 10k, but then failing to beat my PB of 41:20.

That's the first time in a race that I haven't got a PB and I should've had this one covered easily. Every kilometre was a struggle, and I don't know why.

Ah well, it had to happen sooner or later. Maybe it's time to turn my attention to golf.

Thanks Andy, feels good to be getting back into the longer runs. My hr only avg about 165bpm on both those runs.

So what time did you actually do today?

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    So what time did you actually do today?
    41:30. I actually slowed to a walk to have some water just after the 6k as I knew I wasn't going to meet my goal of 40:30. I decided to then at least try to beat my PB and I couldn't even manage that. Maybe all the alcohol, food and less running since the marathon is catching up with me, but I honestly thought I would have it covered after running 19:15 in a 5k and 41:20 on a hilly 10k within the last month.

Maybe I'll go back to the longer runs and have fun with some of the trail runs around Mt Coot-tha. I'm considering doing the 50k at the Glasshouse Hares & Hounds race in January, if I manage to build myself up to it.

Yeah, maybe it just wasn't your day? Not every run is going to be a PB, and to be honest, IMHO, 40:30 for a 10k is pretty bloody quick so your improvements were going to come to slow sooner or later.

Unitlink

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Thanks Andy, feels good to be getting back into the longer runs. My hr only avg about 165bpm on both those runs.
    165 is still pretty high, especially for longer distances. Good work Iain.

Bad luck on the pb AP, but your at that pace now where even the slightest amount off your game will keep you away from them. But then again, you're still guts'ing out good times, even when not at your best.

As I told AP the other day, had a consult with a trainer/tri guru and am now training at low hr's. Nothing over 140bpm. Aparently I need to teach my body to burn fat rather than crave carbo's and burn muscle. But when I race he wants me to race hard, all out. We'll see how it goes. He also said I won't be so stuffed the rest of the day, which will be good as I was killing myself most sessions. Falling alseep every lunch hour was getting old. This is also designed to help my endurance which was lacking. Konking out 3/4's of the way through races was getting old.

And hopefully training in the fat burning range will get rid of the last of the michelin man tyre!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

That's good advice Goughy, I fell into the habit of trying to run every training run at race pace. It got me no where.

These days I'd just like to complete 5km without limping for the rest of the day.

goughy

The guy I saw is a multi hawaii ironman competitor - I've found results of his for 1985 and 1996. I know he got injured before the race in '95, which is when he got into the low hr training. He's near 50 and was leading the open section of the TreX tri series at one stage last year. Seems like a person to listen to. He also accepts that you have a life outside of training. He also said with this type of training I'll get by with one rest day a week, or even less since I won't be trashed. He still'd like to see me doing 2 swims, 3 runs and 4 rides a week. But I'm not that keen on divorce.

The other biggie for me, is less risk of injury and greater longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    But when I race he wants me to race hard, all out.
    Does this mean that you weren't doing this before? What else are you meant to do in a race?

Have you had any injuries yet?

goughy

Yes, I raced as hard as I could. He's just confirming that while training easy you race hard. Some do this and don't do any racing for months on end and just do the easy training.

Apart from tight hammies and the odd sore foot arch, no injuries yet. Wicked sunburn from last week though. Could only sit back in an arm chair friday this week! Man that hurt.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Nothing over 140bpm.
    I could almost do that on the bike...running that slow would kill me though.

Maybe I need to get fitter but to stay at that low of a heart rate I would be walk/run intervalling I think.

goughy

I probably will too. Had to shuffle up a hill on Sunday, and walk the last steep section. But then on the downhill I couldn't run fast enough to get my hr back up to 140. That's where the speedwork comes in. The pace doesn't matter, the hr does. So slow up hills, and fast down. Been reading more about it and the opinion seems to be that running on a totally flat run is almost useless because you don't have the downhills to get any speed up and you do learn to run slow exclusively. Luckily, I'm surrounded by hills.

I struggle the most on the bike because some of the hills around here are just too steep to go up with a low hr, even in the biggest gears! I also struggle on the downhills as I'm not comfortable with 60k/hr and at times my hr's only 110 going that fast.

What I'm going to struggle the most with is one of my group rides where I'm by far the slowest. We do lots of hills (sometimes riding up the toowoomba range) so I'll struggle to keep my hr down. I told him I don't want to give up everything.

I've had some sort of virus all week, that hasn't exactly made me sick, but it has sapped me of energy, which would explain my slower time on Sunday. When I was at the docs today, he took my pulse while I was sitting down. 35 bpm. This caused him a little concern, although he did say 40bpm was a heartrate common with elite athletes. I had an ECG and there were no problems, and the heart rate was still under 40bpm.

I find it hard to believe that my heartrate is similar to an elite athlete's, so Goughy, I'd be interested to know what your sitting heartrate is.

goughy

I've got as low as 50bpm watching tv, but would be in the mid 50's usually. I haven't taken a resting hr for over a year now - do that when I first wake up in the morning.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

The posts about resting heartbeats got me checking mine this morning as I have my breakfast. Was 42. I am impressed I thought I would be in the high 50's low 60's. I guess I really am fitter with all this training for the Paddle.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

I've been on fire this week with the running. All of a sudden, I seemed to get my mojo back. After plodding around for a couple of runs a week for the rest of November (and not much relatively for two months), this week I pulled out a very hilly 9k on Wed, then a 20k run on Thurs. Yesterday morning I headed up to the Mt Coot-tha trails again and spent nearly 3hrs running up and down and all over the place. I've said it before, but those trails are awesome for something so close to the city. Hard yakka, but it keeps things interesting.

I'm potentially going to run my first ultra-marathon at the start of January, so I need to keep doing the kilometres (while still doing the golf thing), to have a chance of doing it.

goughy

Kewl! What's the event?

Been flat myself the last couple of weeks but am now feeling like ramping it up again. My runs have been lagging while I've been on the bike more but it's time to get back to 3 regular runs a week and try and get 30 to 40k a week in.

I have to say though, I went for a run Saturday morning of the champs and just loved running around a flat area! I'm doing low heart rate training atm and around my hills I can sometimes only get through 12k in an hour and a half. But at the coast was able to get through 9k in less than an hour at a heart rate under 140bpm (which is pretty much go all day hr).

Kewl! What's the event?
    Hares and Hounds at the Glasshouse Mountains. It is from Woodford Pool to Beerburrum School via trails and back. Last year I did the relay as a hound, so I only did the first half. It was a tough 25 or so kilometres, but my partner had it tougher as he had to go back up the range later in the day. I drove the car back and got in the pool before him.

This year I would like to be a hare, but I'm leaving my run a bit late. It will be around 50k, but I'll be in no hurry to complete it despite the hounds chasing me. I'm thinking around 6hrs, but I don't know if that is too ambitious or not.

Map

goughy

I remember you doing it last year. Sounds like if you're gonna do an ultra, the trail ones would be more fun.

I remember you doing it last year. Sounds like if you're gonna do an ultra, the trail ones would be more fun.
    I wear an Ipod for my road training runs, but I don't bother with trails. For starters, it is more interesting and fun, plus it's best to be more aware of your surroundings in case there are any nasty slithery surprises.

I'm potentially going to run my first ultra-marathon at the start of January, so I need to keep doing the kilometres (while still doing the golf thing), to have a chance of doing it.
    Yesterday I went back to the Mt Coot-tha trails for some more punishment. I did a few new tracks, and I still haven't covered them all yet. Many times I have to concede to a hill and walk, because of how steep or long the hills are.

I was out there for over 3 hours yesterday morning and I was completely stuffed by the end of it.

In my head I thought the ultra I was planning on doing was about 52k. It's actually 57k. The extra 5k now scares me. And that's about double the time on my feet that I've been doing. The positive is that the Glasshouse trails have lot less hills and are not as steep.

I'm still not convinced that I should be doing this.

Thread Information