Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 90 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 87 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Senior Member Major Winner

That's 1 all.

Nice edit. Not fast enough.

What's that gadget you're using to get this info?

Garmin 310XT. Good piece of kit.

Elevation gain/loss were different on the two runs. Did you grow?

I started running when the satellites were still locking on and only had a +/-20m accuracy at that point. It makes sense that it'd be 5m out considering I returned to the same spot and by that stage would have been more accurate. That also explains the disparity between the two figures considering that I start and stop from the same spot.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    (and to drop the 6KG I put on in that time as well).
    Ooh, that's nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    HR 181.

Is that safe?
    Different maxes for different people. It's hard to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Elevation gain/loss were different on the two runs. Did you grow?
    The GPS watches aren't known for their elevation accuracy.

FWIW I sent my HRM back and another one should be waiting at home for me. I fully expect it to be spitting out shitty figures in a few months time (but still within warranty).

goughy

Had my first trundle yesterday after about 3 weeks of nothing. My knee was a little tender and I took it very easily. 21mins for 2.75k was almost painful. But iced it up when I got home and it's pretty good today, almost feeling better than it was prior to the run. So maybe it's time for me to get back onto the training horse. I'll be officiating at the GCHIM which will be kind of painful as I really wanted to do this again, but I'll focus on getting myself back into condition for Gundi early next year and then Mooloolaba.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

First night of pre-season cricket training tonight. I seriously haven't ran a step or done anything remotely active for least 6 months, which is just terrible. Thought I would be looking for the "spew OZgolf spew" thread after they made me do a beep test. I made it into the 10's and then gave it away because the blokes with me had all stopped and I had no willpower. Felt like I maybe had a couple more left if I pushed it, but I was amazed by how little 'spring' I had and I just didn't feel like I could change speed when I needed to. It completely ruined me - my legs now feel like jelly and I've been a little bit shaky. I don't think I've ever felt this unfit in my life and it's not a good way to feel.

So, I came home and opened this thread for the first time ever. Lots of inspiration, and a little bit of stuff I don't think I'd ever dare try. I don't think I'll ever be in the league of the main posters, but I'm convinced that I need to set myself a goal and get off my arse. I'm thinking what I will do (as well as the Thursday night training) is to go for a run in my lunch break once a week for starters. My plan is to run in one direction for, say, 10 minutes so that I have to run back. From there I'll see if I can ramp it up to a regular 5-6km run. My simple goal is to get under 30 minutes for 6km - as a former Ballarat boy I still measure all running in 6km increments because that is how long Steve Monaghetti's lap of the lake track is. I'll be shattered if I can't get that done within 2 months.

On a completely unrelated note, I was talking to a bloke who lives around the corner who we've become friends with because we both have babies of similar ages. I knew he was a bit of an athlete, but was floored to find out that he was actually a pro triathlete. Full ironman stuff. I can't even comprehend that sort of thing. I'm so glad I didn't ask him if he wanted to go for a jog around the block like I was thinking of doing.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

goughy

LL, mind me asking who the bloke is?

6km in under 30min is not bad going, Larry. I think you might be selling yourself short it that's your goal in under two months.

I'll wear it next week and flog out a quick 4k and see what I can get the sucker to, hey?
    I churned out a 5k on Monday and really tried to push it a bit and did it in 5:00/kms pretty much (5:04 actually, with the usual 50m elevation gain/loss). Interestingly my heartrate was almost no different to the vastly slower 7k run only 4 days earlier (in fact marginally better at 164bpm average, 180bpm peak, versus the 168/181 for the 7km).

So perhaps my body is telling me lies. I certainly felt more stuffed after the 5km run which was 40+ seconds per kilometre faster than the 7k run last week.

Sometimes the data makes no sense and "feel" means much more. I'm not sure I could have maintained that 5:00/km pace for 10kms at the moment but could have easily managed the 5:45/km pace for many, many kms for what was actually a worse average heartrate. The mind boggles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    LL, mind me asking who the bloke is?
    Name sent by PM to minimise chances of identity theft.

6km in under 30min is not bad going, Larry. I think you might be selling yourself short it that's your goal in under two months..
    Yeah, I'm not sure about times because I don't have a great handle on what to aim for and 30 mins seems like a good round number. I might need to adjust that when I get a feel for what my running pace really is these days. I used to get around the lake (6km) in under 25 mins in my 20s, but I'm at an age (36) where I'm starting to head backwards at an alarming rate. It's a bit depressing having to admit to yourself that you can't do the things you used to be able to do. Reality might be smacking me very hard in the face some time in the next few weeks.

Sometimes the data makes no sense and "feel" means much more.
    It's all about feel. I feel very buttery right about now.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

How's the injury after a few more runs, goughy?

Good to see you join us, Larry. There's nothing wrong with starting with run/walk for the 6k, if you aren't up to running the whole distance. I wouldn't put too much focus on the time you do it in either. If you are having one run a week and flogging yourself in it, you are asking for injury.

By the way, check out my first few posts. I said I wasn't going to run very far either. It's an addiction.

As for my running, I've done relatively nothing since I ran the marathon on July 4, because of recovery, surgery, work and lack of motivation. Somehow I'm going to try and drag myself up and down Mt Coot-tha several times for around 50k on Sunday, which will take 7 to 8 hours. I'm not psychic, but I can definitely see a lot of pain in the near future.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    How's the injury after a few more runs, goughy?
    Only done that one short one. Been so busy and tired lately that I haven't felt like doing anything of late. Don't know what I need to do to pick my act up again.

Turn the oven off. I'm done.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44562386

A few hills there, AP?

Even ignoring the elevation chart, the other charts tell the story pretty well.

Up and down Mt Coot-tha 5 times, plus some extra hills thrown in. It was a pretty leisurely run as far as pace was concerned. We stopped at different people's cars around or on the mountain to refuel with food/drink, and the stops seemed to be a bit too long (2hrs all up). We walked up hills, and ran the flat and down hill sections. It's still a long time to be on the feet though. Zero blisters surprisingly, but mega chafing.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

You are a machine AP, nice work.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Holy hell..

AMAZING AP!

Blog Entries

Wow Andy - that's some serious running. I notice your heart rate spiked right at the start - was that when they told you what the course was going to be for the day?

That would be the issue he has with his HR monitor; it's broken and is an error in the data.

I got that strap replaced, henno, and it had been on for over an hour at that stage, so I'm not sure what that blip is. It's either an error, or maybe from when one of the runners dogs tried to shepherd me into a pole.

I've got a 50k in the Glasshouse Trails in a months time. A lot less mountainy, but also less break time.

goughy

My inspiration!

Blog Entries

Well, I managed to get the first run done. Horrible shitty windy and rainy conditions, but I figured that if I didn't make a start this week my motivation would fade. Followed the plan - 10 minutes out and then turned around. Was pretty careful not to get too excited on the trip out because I didn't want to get stranded in the rain with no legs to get me home. Ran into the wind on the first leg and then plodded home with the wind at my back, which was a stroke of luck. Managed to get back in 10:30, and was pleasantly surprised to find that MapMyRun says the route was 3.9km.

A tad over 5 minute kms, and I definitely couldn't have stretched it out to 6km without blowing myself up, but I'm pretty happy with that as a first effort.

Phew!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Thanks for the ideas guys, I went out and bought the Garmin 301XT and took it snow boarding in NZ. Amazing information that it provides.

Today I went for my first run with it around the gardens near the Opera House. Took ages for it to pick-up the satellites as my previous location was in NZ. I am really impressed with this new toy and am about to embark on my "get fit for summer" program.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap