Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Yeah Iain, can't have me beating you
    Well there's motivation enough!!

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    As for myself, I haven't had a long run for a while, but I've tried to keep the shorter runs going. That means, getting up and running at first light up here (NT) or after an afternoon shower.
    The runs in the NT may have helped me, as a 14k run around my home area (hilly) seemed cruisy on Sunday afternoon.

Are any Brisbane City workers looking at doing the Price Waterhouse Coopers Cool Night Classic this year? I did it last year, when they started from the Riverstage, crossed both the Goodwill and Story Bridges and finished at the Riverside Centre (Fridays) - 5.75k. This year it is on Nov 20 at 5:45p, and is a 5.2k run from the Riverstage again, around the Botanical Gardens, across the Goodwill Bridge, heading along the river for a bit, then returning to the Riverstage. I'm a tad fitter and faster than last year......
    Any takers? It's quite a large corporate event.

Another event I'm going to sign up for is the Caboolture Dusk to Dawn 6hr Relay event in Feb. I'll have a 2hr shift within a three person team and we are all aiming for about 25k each. Some people do the full Dusk to Dawn 12hr solo event. Amazing stuff! In fact, they had a 48hr event a couple of months ago. The winner did about 390k, I think.

goughy

I don't know where to post this - in the running, riding, should I start a swimming or a tri thread.

Since I piked this weekend I did my first triathlon training session today. These guys make me realise just how unfit I am. They had started their swimming when I got there, and was just in time for 20x25mtr sprints every 30 secs! bugger me. We didn't ride because of the weather so we headed down to the trainers gym and hit the exercise bikes. I think we were spose to be doing 6k's hard with over 100 cadence followed by 2min easy, then 5min hard, 2min etc etc. I ended up on a resistance of 4 and couldn't get my cadence over 95, the others were cranking out 100-110+ on resistance 6 and 7. Then back to the pool for swim/runs. 25mtr/200mtr, 50mtr/400mtr, 75mtr/600mtr then reversed! Damn I'm buggered but damn that was fun! But those guys and girls were just smoking me...

I have a long long way to go. But 2.5hrs this morning for $9 seems good to me. I'll make sure I get there between 4 and 4.30am next week rather than my lazy 5am.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    Left home at 7:10am and returned at 10:10am (3 hours!!).

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...n/225903702376

I covered approx. 33Km's. I was pretty happy with that as I had never attempted to cover anything like it before. It was an enjoyable run through the Venman National park and the back of the Daisy Hill state forrest. A bit hilly though!!
    Respect!

I'm trying to stretch my training runs out again, and keeping an easy pace, instead of going too hard like I usually do.
    My 2.5hr 25.5k this morning was tough, especially the 2k stagger at the end.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

You must have dug that one up from the past. It's been a while since I've covered that sort of distance.

Is this in preparation for the team event that you mentioned in Feb next year? Or have you got something else you're training for?

I remembered that you had done 33k, and my last couple of longs runs have made me see how far away a marathon would be.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    Is this in preparation for the team event that you mentioned in Feb next year? Or have you got something else you're training for?
    Mostly the team event, although it can't hurt too much to have the long runs longer. I'm aiming for 25k in the 2hrs, so unlike my first half mara, I have covered that distance beforehand.

goughy

Did you enjoy doing the run easy AP? I did one way slow (even for me) a couple of weeks back, didn't even cover that much distance but I just really enjoyed it. It seems a lot do their long runs much slower than you'd expect, but do their short runs hard (intervals, fartlek, hills etc). I think the idea is to get you used to being on your legs for that length of time, not necessarily time and distance.

Based on you 22k run a week or 2 ago, your marathon time would be pretty damn good. I'd be at like 5 hours

I enjoyed some of it. The end was a real grind. I had to pull myself back in pace a few times.

I'm not doing a marathon until I know I could do one in less than 3.5 hours.

Yesterday I went for my first trail run at 5am in the rain with a group of people. We headed up some fire trails towards Mt Nebo, with some people planning on heading all the way to the top, having breakfast, then coming back down. Around 48k uphill.

I planned on doing about 2 hours or so, since it was my first time. I ended up going for 3hrs and 30k, with a little bit of walking up hills on the way back. Missing a turnoff at one stage, then having to backtrack added about 4k, but that's all part of trail running. It was a great run though, and I'm going to look at doing some Glasshouse Trail run events next year.

I'm going to look at doing some Glasshouse Trail run events next year.
    Great work Andy. I'll be joining you for those Glasshouse trail runs for sure.

I have bit of work to do to get back to those sorts of distances. Starting out this week with short easy runs. I always make the mistake of trying to go too hard, too far, too early. Not this time.

Maybe by the end of January I could join you for a long trail run.

You sure you couldn't handle about 27k on Jan 11? I'm looking for a relay teammate for the Hares & Hounds event.

You sure you couldn't handle about 27k on Jan 11? I'm looking for a relay teammate for the Hares & Hounds event.
    No chance. I haven't run 27km in total over the last 2 months. It will be late Feb before I think I can contemplate that distance.

goughy

Geeze ap your progression continues to impress!

My shoes (which I bought in April) just clocked up 1000kms, so I can only assume I've done over 1250km overall for the year. I've done over 160km this month.

I don't think I have the time to run much more, but I've said that before...

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Aren't you meant to replace shoes every 1000km? I read that on a triathlon forum over here the other day, so it could be crap. Wouldn't want you getting an injury through worn out shoes though. The distances you're covering are massive . I was pretty proud of my 3.5km run in Tooting Common the other day until just now

I have now replaced those shoes, but by the time I worked out what I needed then got them off US ebay, the kilometres had racked up on the old pair. I think 800-1000k is when you usually should replace, but you hear of people who keep their shoes for ages.

goughy

I don't do anywhere near the k's of andy, but I'll replace mine every year. If I try running in my work sneakers within a few steps my legs kill! But no probs in my running shoes so it definitely makes a difference to keep them fresh!

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

You will get greater life out of your shoes if you get 2 pairs and alternate them. It gives the cushioning time to recover before the next run and hence extend the life. apparently you get about an extra 50% life out of them.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

goughy

Mine usually get enough of a break between runs to have a rest. I usually don't run on concurrent days!

I've had the same shoes for 18 months, took them to work for a jog with the boss on Tuesday and he says "new shoes mate?"

Think I need to do a bit more running!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

This was a great event despite the bloody early start (4:30a for the relay teams, an hour early for the solo).

The course got altered a little and I ended up doing just under 26k from Woodford to Beerburrum via firetrails and gravel roads. I felt comfortable running almost the whole time and did my half in 2h11m. My partner had to run back to Woodford while it was hotter and back up the hill.

Saying that I did a "comfortable 26k" doesn't seem right, but I guess that's where I'm at.

On the Sunday just gone, I backed it up with a 14k running club race at West End. I smashed my PB and snuck in under the hour mark.

I'm hoping to run at least 26k, maybe 27k in my 2hr leg of the 6hr relay race I've been working towards. After that, I'll target a few half marathons.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Bloody hell AP, I need a panadol and a lie down after reading the km's you are racking up, top stuff

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Watch out for the drug testing at Wynnum P. You are either a machine, or you are on the juice

goughy

Where to post this one!!!!

Oh well, did first triathlon today. Was a ton of fun and will do plenty more. Luckily I'm not fast so I may even be able to beat my time next time. Was a packed field for Highfileds, maybe 150+ people there across all distances. And I really really really need to work on my riding and running! The cost me big time...

Well done, Goughy. Now you have a goal for the next one.

Thread Information