Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38 78 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2242

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Yep, in that pouring rain! Was always happy with my time considering the conditions.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

First Hyrox race simulation this morning. Got out the 8x 1km runs generally around 5.30 mins. This stupid idea might actually be doable.
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Hyrox is 6 weeks away and this life long fat **** needs to learn how to run. Yesterday I had a running lesson (who knew this was a thing?) and was told that I was stepping too far and landing on the ball of my foot which was causing calf issues.

To counter the length of stride they told me to go to a cadence of 180. I put a metronome app on my phone and did a lap around the course to see how it went. Well, I did the first km almost a minute faster than previous runs. Seems I took more steps but they were still too long.

I have much to learn. Park Run this Saturday. Nice to join a cult.
    Final session with the physio/running coach this morning. It appears that over the last 5 weeks I may have actually learnt something and my technique is actually decent.

11 days to go. Not completely shitting bricks anymore which is nice.

Never ended up doing a Cult Run. That can wait until after Hyrox now.
    Forum needs more banter.

FMD. 90 mins of hell. Can’t wait for next year.
    Forum needs more banter.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Well done, sms.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Jeebus, sms doing serious cult exercising?... WTF happened while I've been gone?

I decided that I didn’t want to be a fat **** anymore. I still am, just less so. It started at the end of 2021 when I was questioning my relationship with alcohol. The club industry lends itself to getting on the piss non stop and it evolved from there.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I decided that I didn’t want to be a fat **** anymore. I still am, just less so. It started at the end of 2021 when I was questioning my relationship with alcohol. The club industry lends itself to getting on the piss non stop and it evolved from there.
    The booze is an absolute killer as we get older! How have you found your relationship with it now? I go a few weeks off it, but then for work etc I end up having a couple of weeks of benders and just undoes any of the good work that you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    The booze is an absolute killer as we get older! How have you found your relationship with it now? I go a few weeks off it, but then for work etc I end up having a couple of weeks of benders and just undoes any of the good work that you have done.
    Had two drinks with dinner on Saturday and honestly didn't know why I was having them.

Going back to the start of last year I decided to have a 100 day circuit breaker. Prior to that I was in the habit of drinking every day, although that was generally a couple with dinner or a bottle of wine. I drank on day 100 for no other reason other than to stop counting the days. So that was somewhere around Anzac Day 2022. I went on a holiday to Darwin around that time and had the occasional beer at some pub on the main street. Nothing major. I actually went to buy a bottle of wine from BWS on a Sunday and found that they didn't open on Sundays in the NT. I genuinely didn't care which was probably a good sign.

Probably started to slip towards old habits by September and that was when I joined a different gym (BFT - group training). I was bored and going through the motions at Anytime. It's was more or less pointless. By pure coincidence my first day there was the October public holiday which was also day one of an eight week challenge. My stupid competitive nature kicked in and I dropped grog for the 8 weeks and got stuck right into training. That was the moment my relationship with booze really changed. I won the 8WC (at the Wollongong venue) losing a fair bit and then they had another challenge starting in February and I won that as well.

I guess that in my case now that I've gained a significant amount of fitness I see alcohol in a totally different light. I see it as wasted calories for the most part. If I'm going to drink now it's not something I do on a whim, rather I know weeks in advance what day I will do it.

I still don't know why I wrote it, but before the second 8WC we had to write down some stuff about goals and methods and I wrote that I would adopt the mindset of an athlete. For some reason it flipped a switch on me in a big way. By the time Hyrox was ever discussed I was half way there to being able to complete it. Now that I've got a taste for it my goal for next year is to be competitive in it (at least for my age division).

I get a few mates/club members who keep asking me when I'm going back to my old ways? That genuinely shits me. One thing I've found is that golfers (and I'm very much guilty of this) will almost jump over each other to tear each other down. The gym/fitness community will pump you up and celebrate your wins. It's pretty cool.
    Last edited by sms316; 17th August 2023 at 09:55 AM.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It's tall poppy s.
    Gyms need to make you feel good about yourself so that you come back! But at the same time, it makes you feel good about yourself.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Member Club Pro

SMS has it improved your golf? not that is the important part, but wonder how it interacts with other pursuits.

Hear you on your celebrating wins and encouragement. Have really notice how much more I've enjoyed rounds when playing with people that are genuinely encouraging and happy for you to hit good shots and aren't angry d!cks obsessed with themselves or wanting to take the pi$$ everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    SMS has it improved your golf? not that is the important part, but wonder how it interacts with other pursuits.

Hear you on your celebrating wins and encouragement. Have really notice how much more I've enjoyed rounds when playing with people that are genuinely encouraging and happy for you to hit good shots and aren't angry d!cks obsessed with themselves or wanting to take the pi$$ everytime.
    No. It's ****ed my golf completely. I've never hit it so wide - like hard to comprehend wide.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I basically am completely off alcohol now (for about 3 years) due to the chronic pain, medication and surgeries. Somehow still a fat bastard! Even went to the extreme of buying a new washing machine, as I thought it was shrinking my clothes... turns out it was the fridge that was the problem

No. It's ****ed my golf completely. I've never hit it so wide - like hard to comprehend wide.
    Stuffed up the timing...? Less to turn, and probably faster
    Last edited by TourFit; 17th August 2023 at 04:42 PM.

Went for what was planned to be a slow 7 min/km hour long jog yesterday. After a cruisy first km I realised I was going at 5 min 40 sec / km. Figured "what the hell" and just went with it and did 10km in just under 57 mins.

FMD my calves are sore this morning. There aren't enough magnesium tablets on the planet.

Anyway, in the interest of stupid targets, hoping to get closer to 4 - 4.5 min/km by Hyrox next year. Might as well shoot for the stars right?
    Forum needs more banter.

It's hard to know what you are capable of, but I wouldn't go too hard too early. Maybe do some slow runs and throw in some 4.5min/k stretches (intervals).

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Went for what was planned to be a slow 7 min/km hour long jog yesterday. After a cruisy first km I realised I was going at 5 min 40 sec / km. Figured "what the hell" and just went with it and did 10km in just under 57 mins.

FMD my calves are sore this morning. There aren't enough magnesium tablets on the planet.

Anyway, in the interest of stupid targets, hoping to get closer to 4 - 4.5 min/km by Hyrox next year. Might as well shoot for the stars right?
    far out, you've changed man. Anything under an hour for 10km is decent pace. Congratulations!

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

I wouldn't have the faintest idea what I'm capable of. That's half the fun at this point.

Sounds like a plan. I've got a year to build up.
    Forum needs more banter.

52.02 min / 10km this morning at scenic Brighton Le Sands. This running crap is getting addictive.

The guy who won the Melbourne Hyrox race does a 12km drill designed to build speed on fatigued legs. Runs 1km then has 1 minute off and repeat. Add in activities during that minute off to take it to another level.

I did it for 5km when i had a spare half hour to see what it was like (I used that minute as rest) and knocked out each km at about 4.5mins. Weird thing was that every km after the first one all felt horrid.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

52.02 min / 10km this morning at scenic Brighton Le Sands.
    Work on your speed, Brighton Le Sands is where the Hamzy's and the Alammedine's go on holiday.

Weird thing was that every km after the first one all felt horrid.
    That's not weird at all.

Well there you go. I would have thought it would get progressively more difficult.
    Forum needs more banter.

Running fast is hard and hurts. I've mostly been avoiding it all year and running long instead.

This is all relative of course, but how do you run slow? I've tried a couple of times to go north of 6 min/km and struggle to get to even 1km before instincts take over.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Major Winner

This is all relative of course, but how do you run slow? I've tried a couple of times to go north of 6 min/km and struggle to get to even 1km before instincts take over.
    That was always the issue I had too.

Solved it by stopping running.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    That was always the issue I had too.Solved it by stopping running.
    I feel that with track and field events you’d be more suited to the javelin
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information