Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31 71 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2242

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Chopping into my knee today. I was less nervous having my teeth done, and I really didn't want them done.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Ow
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Unwrapped my present yesterday.

Developed a sharpish pain in it last night, which goes from a dull soreness to quite sharp when walking or moving it around. Hadn't needed any pain killers since Thursday night so at least have plenty left.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

That will teach u to go running instead of playing golf

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And I can't even pay golf atm either!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I hope the guy that did that to you is worse off, goughy.

Probably sipping a nice red as we talk. The very red one sticks out a heap, I'm debating if I need to see him about it, granted follow-up is on Friday.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Well I had my follow up with the surgeon today. The two things I'll take away from this.... When I was leaving he told me that our mutual friend who got me in to see him thinks the world of me and that he'll be gutted. And when I got in there and sat down and he said he hasn't seen much worse knees and he can't fathom I was doing anything on it, let alone triathlon, let alone long ones!

The good news was my miniscus tear was really bad. It was like a big lateral tear or something, but it was so big and long it had actually folded back over on itself, and every movement was pushing on it more and more. He says that must have been quite painful.

That bad news is what has been going on with my knee cap etc. Yes it was out of alignment, but what it was actually doing was wearing down the track it's suppose to be gliding in on the knee bone above. When he actually got a look inside the fluid looked like the inside of a snow globe. But all the little floaty bits weren't cartilage but were bone and were everywhere. Turns out the way my kneecap has been moving has been wearing down in that groove and was actually wearing through the bone. He's tidied and cleaned that up as much as possible and smoothed out off. Then he's done a lateral release on the outside area of my kneecap to release the cap and get it back in place. He said this has been happening since I was most probably a teenager, maybe early 20's at the latest.

Short term prognosis - get to physio asap. Can start on wind trainer in another weeks time. Won't even discuss when or if I can run again. Podiatrist urgently too. He said the orthotics they'll need to get me in to will have me cursing him for at least 6 weeks.

Right now I'm feeling pretty gutted by this. I'm persistent, and will put up with a lot, but I'm at a point where commonsense has to come into play and will just have to take the long slow ride back and sort out what he calls a 'biomechanical nightmare'. All plans are off the cards and will just take things as they come.

I'm going to wallow in a bit of self pity for the rest of the day. I'm gonna buy myself something horribly fatty and disgusting for dinner. A big tub of Baskin Robbins for dessert and as much coke as I can possibly down.
    And then tomorrow is a new day
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    ..as much coke as I can possibly down.
    You are so rock and roll.

Sounds bloody terrible. Hopefully you can reset and start again at some stage.

Bloody wish I could snort the stuff right now. I'm probably just feeling like you do!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Podiatrist visit this morning. boy do I have some money to spend. And watching myself walking on video with markings on my legs, shit I'm out of whack. My phc only cover one set of orthotics a year, so she actually suggested making up the set for running first (they have a little more give in certain areas to allow for impact) and then on the 1st of Jan, arrange to have the everyday set made. Need neutral running shoes so the orthotics do the work. And for work, since I don't have to wear work boots (been holding off buying a new pair till I saw her) she actually suggested a trail running shoe which will work well with the orthotic and should last well enough too. I'm only wearing old sneakers half the time as it is. For just an everyday sneaker, I can get something cheaper, just has to be neutral. While I'm extremely flat footed, she said I have a natural low arch so technically it's not as bad as I first thought it might be. Though my right side is much more out of whack, probably since the stress fracture.

Once I'm running again I'm also going to get a running assessment done. She's actually keen to see what's going on there, as she said it's strange to break the 5th metatarsal like I did at the tour de tri a few years ago. She also guessed that when I run my feet cross over, basically landing in front of each other in a line, which I do know that they do. That is also wrong.

I didn't discuss my golfing (like I actually play golf), but I'll be interested to see how the orthotics go in golf shoes. Does anyone else wear orthotics in golf shoes?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I haven't gone to orthotics yet, but I've been using a moulded sole, which has made an achilles soreness I had from everyday shoes, go away.

I have my everyday orthotics now. That is a weird feeling. Rob tries then and can't feel anything as such.

Last Physio season as such today. A handful of different things to keep working on and expand in to, but he said there wasn't really much more he can do now other than me working on what he wants.

I brought up the subject of running, and wasn't that enthused when he started laughing, and asked me if I've had a talk with the doc about this.

In the end he said he wouldn't recommend it till I could walk 10k pain free. Buy he firmly believes I should start enjoying swimming, cycling and walking, cause he feels with this much damage I should never be running again.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I have my everyday orthotics now. That is a weird feeling. Rob tries then and can't feel anything as such.

Last Physio session as such today (I can go back any time I feel I need to). A handful of different things to keep working on and expand in to, but he said there wasn't really much more he can do now other than me working on what he wants.

I brought up the subject of running, and wasn't that enthused when he started laughing, and asked me if I've had a talk with the doc about this.

In the end he said he wouldn't recommend it till I could walk 10k pain free. Buy he firmly believes I should start enjoying swimming, cycling and walking, cause he feels with this much damage I should never be running again.

Since getting home I've had a packet of chips and 1/4 of a Woolworths chocolate Bavarian. I feel a little better...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Get back to me on how your weight gain is going in two years time.

I'm already working on it!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

How's the mind going? I went from sport 6 days a week to nothing after a torn abductor, pelvis stress fracture and torn lateral meniscus. Pushing through the pain apparently isn't always the best idea..

I got quite depressed and couldn't handle the boredom so ended up eating and drinking my way through the next 24 months. This was about 5 years ago now and golf was what I took up three years ago.
    As hard as it might be I'd recommend getting into any activity your body can handle to keep busy.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Having heaps of trouble this year with my ankles after smashing both of them almost 24 years ago , 4 screws in the left , and a plate and 9 screws in the right . It was always going to get worse but driving through the pain is definitely not the way or masking with pain killers . The last thing I want to do playing golf is carting it but am seriously looking at getting one for next year maybe just for the last nine holes , I still wanna walk because I find carts very unsociable , but I also want to play . Surprisingly I have never been recommended for orthotics and I have always wondered if I should have had them

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_Atterbury View Post
    How's the mind going? I went from sport 6 days a week to nothing after a torn abductor, pelvis stress fracture and torn lateral meniscus. Pushing through the pain apparently isn't always the best idea..
    While I've had ongoing issues over the last few years, I've still been fairly active. This has been my first big stoppage, but it's only at the start for me. Andyp has been strung up for a long time now, and unlike me, was pretty bloody fast. I'm just starting to get back to some normal riding, and will know for 100% sure about my future running on Thursday (cause my physio and another mates advice aren't quite enough for me) when I see the surgeon, but I know the answer. I very much miss it as my training time is about the only time I catch up with mates. So that's 3 to 4 days a week of social activity gone. Can't see walking lasting in their future.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers Country View Post
    Having heaps of trouble this year with my ankles after smashing both of them almost 24 years ago , 4 screws in the left , and a plate and 9 screws in the right . It was always going to get worse but driving through the pain is definitely not the way or masking with pain killers . The last thing I want to do playing golf is carting it but am seriously looking at getting one for next year maybe just for the last nine holes , I still wanna walk because I find carts very unsociable , but I also want to play . Surprisingly I have never been recommended for orthotics and I have always wondered if I should have had them
    I guess the reality is even with all your feet issues, it doesn't mean your feet are out of alignment or anything. If your arch is fine and your feet aren't rolling in or out, they might be useless for you. Doesn't mean your feet are fine, as you know. Just that that's one less thing for you to have to worry about. I certainly shouldn't bitch about maybe not being able to carry my bag anymore, when you may not be able to walk games now days.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Try as I might to do some form of exercise, even taking it easy, my lower body just isn't letting me. Current weak points are left foot, left knee due to left thigh abductor, right shin, right calf, and right hip. Even if I concede that I can't run, some of these other things can stop me from riding or swimming also.

The beer and chocolate still taste good though.

It has been over 2 years now, since I ran my fastest ever 10k race, then stopped racing to get a hip "niggle" attended to. A podiatrist, sports doctor, multiple physios, and three orthopaedic surgeons later, and I am finally going in for arthroscopic surgery to inspect the hip joint, and possibly make some repairs. That means another 6 weeks off running, but that's nothing compared to the time I have had off over the last two years through injury or attempted rehab. I just want to move on, and hopefully this operation can make that happen.

Bugger, but also hopefully your will get some answers.

Had my follow up today with my surgeon, and asked him all the questions. The short of it is, yes, I can run. But no, I shouldn't. He said the arthritis is so bad in my knee, particularly for someone so young, that he can't believe I was doing anything on it before. But that now it's trying to keep this knee as long as I can. I can swim and ride to my hearts content, and walk as much as I want, as fast as I want, as long as I want. So I'm gonna start working on getting my walking pace up, and will continue to do my club tri's this season (as Jas still wants to do them) just walking the run legs. And if my mate wants to do an IM next year or the year after, I'll still go with him and just walk it. I still want to do at least one of them
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Where's my 'Walk Ozgolf Walk' thread?
    Ping G10 Project X S