Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Cangratulations Iain on an awesome performance. The time you ran just shows the amount of work you have put in lately. Going by this improvement we should be seeing a sub 1:35 at Noosa.

My race was a tough one. I just hadn't put enough work in, in the weeks leading up to the race. 40km's over 4 weeks just won't do it. Oh well, Sometimes you have to concetrate on work and resting to get over these head colds. I'm still glad that I went in it and glad that I finished in a similar time to last year. Gives me a little more drive to prepare better for the next one.

Iain and I ran together for the first 15-16km's. We were reeling off very consistent 5mins/Km's and passed the 15km mark dead on 75mins. It was about there that I ran out of legs and blew out to 5:20min/km's and Iain just powered on to run home with 4:40's. Great effort.

On a personal note, congratulation also to my wife, Andrea, who ran her first 10km race. She was hoping to break 60 mins and went on to finish in 54:40 (gun time). Unfortunately the official results for the 10km don't have correct nett times, but her watch time was 52:55mins which was a great result. She was over the moon with that.

Ryan

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    7 minutes is a fair chunk to wipe off a PB. Maybe just try and keep senecio within sight for the majority of the race.
    Good luck.
    What was that again AndyP??? And you're right, I lost sight of Senecio at the end!!

I've seen the times, I've spoken to Iain, now for the reports. It sounds like it was a good day. Well done, guys!

The times are available on the GC marathon site for those who want to know.

I can't believe I'll be doing my first half marathon in 7 weeks time.
    Thanks P, hopefully I can improve my time at Noosa, I'll be sure to better prepare for it than I did this one.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Impressive Iain!!! From what I can see over the 21k's you average at least 1 minute less per k than I do over 4.5k's. Shit I have some work to do. Not that I have a competitive nature at all. You've all played golf with me

Those 20k's are a real milestone distance as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks Goughy, you'll be joining us in no time!!

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    Cangratulations Iain on an awesome performance. The time you ran just shows the amount of work you have put in lately. Going by this improvement we should be seeing a sub 1:35 at Noosa.

My race was a tough one. I just hadn't put enough work in, in the weeks leading up to the race. 40km's over 4 weeks just won't do it. Oh well, Sometimes you have to concetrate on work and resting to get over these head colds. I'm still glad that I went in it and glad that I finished in a similar time to last year. Gives me a little more drive to prepare better for the next one.

Iain and I ran together for the first 15-16km's. We were reeling off very consistent 5mins/Km's and passed the 15km mark dead on 75mins. It was about there that I ran out of legs and blew out to 5:20min/km's and Iain just powered on to run home with 4:40's. Great effort.

On a personal note, congratulation also to my wife, Andrea, who ran her first 10km race. She was hoping to break 60 mins and went on to finish in 54:40 (gun time). Unfortunately the official results for the 10km don't have correct nett times, but her watch time was 52:55mins which was a great result. She was over the moon with that.

Ryan
    Thanks and congrats on your time Ryan, it was great day, weather was perfect for the race eventually, although it seemed like it was going to be a nightmare at 5am!! I ran a good race, Ryan and I doing 5min k's, although I thought I was going to lose him in the first couple, but managed to get up and get into a rhythm, until 15k's, then as I was feeling good, I just picked it up a touch and was able to keep the pace until the end, I averaged about 4.50/km for the last 6k's or so.

Congrats to the Mrs, Ryan. What was the 10k like, I heard it was hectic even up until about 8k's in?? And thanks again for meeting up, whether that made it easier to run the pace we did, I'm not sure, but it was fun.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Just noticed the results have all the placings etc up. Just for the record, based on nett times (1:43.47) I finished

Overall - 1341st out of 6848 - Top 20%
    Cat (M25-29) 165th out of 483 - Top 35%
    Male - 1066th out of 3639 - Top 30%

Unitlink

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/cgi-bin/calculations.pl
    The calculator spits out that you should be able to do a 10k in 46m38s. I'll take that as meaning that I'm faster than you.

Pfft.... Once you've done a half and beaten me/my time, then you can take it as being faster than me....

Unitlink

Well, I was going to try and do the Jetty to Jetty 10k on Sunday week, but I tweaked my hamstring the other day plus am just getting a bit of a chest cold. So not sure atm, but figured it would be a good speed workout in the lead up to Noosa. If I can't, no biggie I guess.

Unitlink

Plus the Gold Coast Marathon photo's are up, just head here and search for bib number h1447.

Shavey is r4157 and Senecio is h1548

Unitlink

Senior Member Major Winner

Geez and I thought your Mrs wouldn't mind a bit of stiffness once a year.
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Does that mean I have to go off on another one soon to lose the stiffness ?
    You could probably walk it off. Don't go too hard too early. See you at the Noosa Half.

-----

I had my first run in a week and a half thanks to a bloody cold. It's still clinging on, but the run wasn't too bad. I need to start ramping up for Noosa.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    I had my first run in a week and a half thanks to a bloody cold. It's still clinging on, but the run wasn't too bad. I need to start ramping up for Noosa.
    You want to be careful though, if it's a chest cold and you do too much cardio, it could get a lot worse if you're not fully recovered, that's why I'm going to wait and see before I do another longish run...

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    When is the Noosa half ?
    Geez I already am learning the lingo.
    24th of August..

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    You want to be careful though, if it's a chest cold and you do too much cardio, it could get a lot worse if you're not fully recovered, that's why I'm going to wait and see before I do another longish run...
    It's never going to get better with the screwed up air-conditioning at work anyway.....

I didn't go really hard, although it was hard not to after a little break. The opinions on CoolRunnings seemed to differ on when you should run after a cold, although chest colds were treated more seriously.

goughy

Got home from work and was in a really good mood so went for a run. Dang happy. Had to wait for two busy intersections and got half a glass of water at my BIL's place (half way point) but ran 9.7k this arvo, more than twice as long as any of my previous runs. Even better I did it in 59.22 with stops at 2 lights (stopped time when I grabbed the water) so I'd say I was at 6min/k pace. I was thinking that I'd go in the 85min group for the B2B, but with 8 odd weeks to go I should make the 60min group. Yeah. Heart rate when I finished was 168. Gonna look at a HRM in the future. More toys

Oh, and I hurt now, and it feels soooooooooo good!!!!

Very well done, Mr Gough. That's some good progress you're making.

This morning I went on a 19.75k run. It was pretty stupid really, as my body isn't really ready for it (plus I did 9k yesterday). You're only meant to increase 10% at a time.

I wasn't exactly up for it before I started, so finishing was a real struggle. Actually it was a bit painful. In the end I was running for 1h55m. I shouldn't have gone that far, but I'm happy to have got the time and the kilometres into my legs.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

That's some serious K's young Andy you will end up looking as scrawny as Blake at this rate

goughy

Bloody H P. Doing well. Bugger the 10% increase thingy. I say go 50% at a time

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    And then there's the Kokoda Challenge
    Are you ready for this, Ryan? What was your team name? I noticed that there was going to be live tracking via GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Well, I was going to try and do the Jetty to Jetty 10k on Sunday week, but I tweaked my hamstring the other day plus am just getting a bit of a chest cold. So not sure atm, but figured it would be a good speed workout in the lead up to Noosa. If I can't, no biggie I guess.
    What did you decide? Are you doing the 10k?

Are you ready for this, Ryan? What was your team name? I noticed that there was going to be live tracking via GPS.
    You betcha, we're ready. The team name is "8 Feet" and we are team #88. Here is the direct link to the website to use to track our progress.

www.kmltracks.com

Its all done through google earth and is pretty cool. Its not GPS tracking, we just scan in and out of each of the check points and the software guesses where we should be based on our speed.

I can't believe it is finally happening on Saturday (and into Sunday). 6 months of planning/training and fund raising finally coming to a conclusion. We are still hopefull for a 24 hour finish despite the recent rain making most of the course a bit soggy under foot.

Spare a thought for us just before you call it a night on Saturday. At about 10pm we should be coming up on checkpoint 10 at Lower Beechmont. That will be 61km's down and only 35km's more to go.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    What did you decide? Are you doing the 10k?
    Nope, cause of this damn cold I've had I haven't done any running so will wait for my 10k debut!

Best of luck Ryan, it certainly sounds like a challenge. Hope you make the time that you want.

Unitlink

Well I don't think I will be doing any running this week.

That was quite simply the hardest thing I have ever done.

96km's, 32.5 hours on foot without sleep! The last 35km's was done in unbelievable pain due to badly blistered feet.

Unfortunately only 2 of my team were able to finish. 2 of us withdrew at the 51km mark with very severe knee pain. The terrain was so tough and the downhill sections were placing enormous strain on knee's.

The best thing was the kids. Of the Kids that were selected to take part in this program, 27 were able to take part in the challenge. Of the 27, 24 completed it in just over 35 hours. The total money raised came to just under $300,000.

Here's a couple of photos from the weekend. I can't wait to see the photos that the others got on their cameras.

The team leaving checkpoint 5. From left Heather, myself, Karl and Gunter

Finishing with the two team mates that had retired 15 hours earlier joining me over the line.

Now to start training for next year!

Well done Ryan!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Awesome effort Ryan; something a little different than pounding the pavement!

My freakin pnemonia has flared back up... been back on the antibiotics for the week and hoping to kick it before it goes full-blown like last time...

I never thought I would say these words but after a week and half of inactivity, I actually miss running!
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Great stuff Ryan, that is a monster effort right there

I started an Eco challenge at my gym about 2 weeks ago. I have 12 weeks to complete the following -
    400km on the Bike
    300km on the X-Trainer
    150km on the Treadmill
    100km on the Rowing machine
    My daily workout breakdown is 6km on the rower, 6km on the treadmill, 16km on the X-trainer and 16-20km on the bike.
    So far I have lost 4kg and starting to really enjoy the workouts which is a huge supprise to me

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You're all mad !!!
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Thread Information