Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2242

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I knocked off the sub-18 minute 5k just over a week ago. It was hard work the whole way, but the goal was a big enough incentive to keep pushing. I've set under 37 minutes in a 10k as a target to focus on now (based on my 5k time, I am meant to be able to do 37m13s).

100m: 16.12s
    800m: 2m36s
    1500m: 5m23s
    3k: 10m44s
    5k: 18m15s 17m55s
    10k: 38m46s
    HM: 1h29m24s
    Mara: 3h16m02s
    Longest: approx 55k

Are you all set for the Brisbane Half this weekend, oscar? I've entered my 8 year old son in the 2.2k, which should be a big thrill for him with hundreds of other kids doing it too. He has only done runs in small fields so far.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I want to start jogging but my main problem is my dicky knees. I'm going to start with 400m runs around the oval and see how I go.

I got my weight down now to 83kg. I want to get down to the 70's by end of the year.

Have you looked at the Couch to 5k program? There are several OZgolfers who have done or are doing it. It's a program over many weeks that slowly build up to being able to run 5k non-stop.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Nice work Andy and Oscar.

I'm now 4 weeks off the horse with what seems more and more like a stress fracture in my left foot. Walking is fine, but can't run at all. I'm actually missing it, which is a surprise. Before I did it I was up to running around 20-30km a week, with a long run of around 8km on the weekends. Foot started hurting out of the blue, not pushing it at all on my regular run. It sucks being old. My physio has pointed me in the direction of the ride Ozgolf ride thread for at least the next month, but I'm hoping I can get back into running when my foot heals up.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I want to start jogging but my main problem is my dicky knees. I'm going to start with 400m runs around the oval and see how I go.

I got my weight down now to 83kg. I want to get down to the 70's by end of the year.
    As Andy said, c25k. And even when you get going try including walk breaks, to give the old bones a rest. I still do that.

C25K it is. Just printed out the program and will start tomorrow morning. thanks guys.

goughy

If you have an iPod or something, download the mp3's. The music is horrid, but at least someone is telling you when to walk and run.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Or if you have an iPhone download the app... Use your own music that way.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I might try the C25K thing as well...just had a look at the website and the program looks decent enough to kick myself into some sort of activeness.

My level of general fitness feels rather low, and that's being kind.

goughy

I had struggled on and off for years to try and get going with running, and I simply was trying too hard when I was far from ready to handle it. Following this eases you into it, thus making it easier to continue on afterwards.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Are you all set for the Brisbane Half this weekend, oscar? I've entered my 8 year old son in the 2.2k, which should be a big thrill for him with hundreds of other kids doing it too. He has only done runs in small fields so far.
    Not this year unfortunately AP, I am doing Kokoda in three weeks and found I couldn't put enough time into running and training for Kokoda. Been doing heaps of hill training, legs have never felt stronger, looking forward to trying some trail running when we get back from PNG.

I did it instead, oscar.....
    I had no intention of running in it, but would have been a pace maker if asked. Thursday comes around, and someone on another forum is looking to sell their entry to the HM for 50 bucks. For the third time this year, I decided to do a half marathon without training for it. I wasn't sure what to aim for, but decided to have a crack at 1h25m, because I felt that I had nothing to lose, since it hadn't been a target race for me.

In the end I averaged under 4min per kilometre to finish in 1:24:01 with a negative split. I couldn't believe it. I expected to crash at some stage due to the lack of longer runs, but only felt the pinch in the last couple of kilometres while dodging 10k runners.

100m: 16.12s
    800m: 2m36s
    1500m: 5m23s
    3k: 10m44s
    5k: 17m55s
    10k: 38m46s
    HM: 1h29m24s1h24m01s
    Mara: 3h16m02s
    Longest: approx 55k

Mitchell did really well at his 2.2k, finishing in 11:46. Earlier this year he was probably just loping through runs, but he seems to be pushing himself a fair bit more now.

Did some of you start C2K like you said you would?

goughy

Well, it's good to see that I'm at least about the same pace as one of ya's. I'm talking about Mitchell of course

Nice one Andy.

I'm trying to get back into the running, just need to get out a bit more.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Well, it's good to see that I'm at least about the same pace as one of ya's. I'm talking about Mitchell of course
    You should come down to a Brisbane Road Runners meet to race him, goughy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Nice one Andy.

I'm trying to get back into the running, just need to get out a bit more.
    Thanks. The extra good think about the race is that I didn't get big time sick after it, so it means I might have a crack at a few more HMs in the future.

Are you going to just do casual running? Or would you like to get back into the fun run stuff?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

How much does running fitness translate to riding fitness? I'm limited in time I can spend on the bike and need to supplement weekly rides somehow.

The c25k program looks good. I'm a classic for going too hard too early and breaking down. Is a far more gradual program than I would otherwise have considered.

Any fitness is good fitness. I guess you could consider it cross training.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Are you going to just do casual running? Or would you like to get back into the fun run stuff?
    Wouldn't mind getting back into the fun runs, even thinking about setting the goal of the gold coast half next year, although that's a long way off atm, would give me the chance to build up properly though.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

If you couldn't win the fun run would you withdraw mid race?

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    How much does running fitness translate to riding fitness?
    Here's what I found, seeing as I'm on the bike now because I picked up a stress fracture from running. I found it a little different, but as Andy says, any fitness is good fitness. I found that running tends to be more of a steady grind, whereas cycling fitness requires a bit more ability to vary the amount of effort - power up the hills and coast a little more when it's easy. The first couple of rides I did after being able to comfortably run 5-10km found me wanting a bit, just because I had never done any fartlek type running where you change up and go hard for a period. I'm just a one-pace plodder, but I'm starting to work it out a little after a few rides.

Going back the other way, I'd imagine cyclists might find it a little different not being able to rest at all, but I reckon you would work it out pretty quickly.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Thanks LL.

I'm really unfit at the moment so any exercise is going to help, but over the next 15 months I'm training to do a 1,100km MTB trip. I think I'll struggle to get an ideal volume done on the bike with work and family committments, but was hoping to supplement twice a week distance/climbing work on the bike with some running interval training 2 or 3 times a week.

goughy

Hurt my knee riding on Saturday (actually think running Thursday and Friday did it) and starting to think my chances of improvements are done. Trying to figure how much I can except turning up to races purely for fun and not worry about the time. Been really wanting to get down to 2.5hrs at Mooloolaba next year, but I could trot around in 3, just enjoy the day, chat to people and not be trashed at the end. How do I get my head around that.

not sure if anyone is due for some new shoes but i just picked up some Mizuno Wave Creation on sale at Rebel
    $149.00 down from $259.00
    dont know how that compares with OS prices

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

So is anyone on here a shoe guru?

I'm kinda getting sick of my calves feeling like garbage after each run.
    Many years ago I used to wear a pair of Adidas 'Adistar Control 5' shoes after being 'fitted' for those or the Asics Gel Kayano's...
    They (at the time) significantly helped my calf issues...

So, aside from the Gel Kayano's which are a model still available, does anyone know what other models may be similar?

Or, alternatively, does anyone know where is the most competitive place to buy Kayano's? I'd use Eastbay, but Asics don't allow retailers to sell OS...
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Thread Information