Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

It's funny. I speak to some of my cycling buddies, and one girl tries to keep her heartrate between 126-130, which sounds terribly low to me. So like all things, it is relative to your own cardio-system, how long the exertion is, and how 'good' you feel.

Iain, if you still had a sprint in you after 8kms, then an average heartrate of 180-odd BPM is probably just fine. I don't consider myself a dedicated runner by any stretch of the imagination, but I can happily pump out sub-5-minute kilometers up to around 8-10k, but a HR of 180-190BPM would see me in a dribbling mess after 4-5kms.

That takes me back to the Mother's Day Classic actually... What an poor attempt at an 8km run.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

More importantly Iain ....

.... did you mess up your hair on the run ?
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post

I am losing threads at a rate of around 180HPM (Hairs Per Minute) at the moment.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I am losing threads at a rate of around 180HPM (Hairs Per Minute) at the moment.
    Wait till you start pulling yourself mate
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    It's funny. I speak to some of my cycling buddies, and one girl tries to keep her heartrate between 126-130, which sounds terribly low to me. So like all things, it is relative to your own cardio-system, how long the exertion is, and how 'good' you feel.

Iain, if you still had a sprint in you after 8kms, then an average heartrate of 180-odd BPM is probably just fine. I don't consider myself a dedicated runner by any stretch of the imagination, but I can happily pump out sub-5-minute kilometers up to around 8-10k, but a HR of 180-190BPM would see me in a dribbling mess after 4-5kms.

That takes me back to the Mother's Day Classic actually... What an poor attempt at an 8km run.
    Yeah, on a training run I certainly wouldn't go that hard, but I was treating it more like a race. I expect in time it would drop considerably, as I get back into the long runs, drop 10kg or so and get my running fitness back again.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post

Just enough for it to look stylish still!!

Jealous I've got hair still Jarro??!!

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

No long run for me this weekend, joined two of my Kokoda team mates for a 15km bush walk around Kalbar this morning instead. I was a good tough walk including bashing our way through 8 feet high native grasses and lantana for 2/3 of it.

3 weeks time we'll hit Mt Greville for a training walk and then the big one, Mt Barney!!! 6 hours of continuous hard slog uphill followed by a treacherous 4 hour descent. It will be good training, but nohting like the 28+ hours we'll face on our feet in July.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Nope, not really. I was breathing heavily, but I finished it with a sprint which bought my hr up, but I would've averaged 180ish I guess....
    More like a "sprint" for both of us. It feels like a sprint, but I wonder how fast we're really going at the end of our run. I knew were weren't much hope of breaking the 70min/40min for our runs, but you've gotta finish fast. I do wonder how early I should start that "sprint" though.

BTW I figured pre-race that I might pass you near the end, based on your 40min aim, and my race starting half an hour earlier. It worked out well.

As for heart rates, I've got no idea about mine, and I don't plan to. I guess it would be interesting to know, but I as I've said before, I don't want to get analytical with the running.

Ryan, when do you plan to get the long runs in?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    More like a "sprint" for both of us. It feels like a sprint, but I wonder how fast we're really going at the end of our run. I knew were weren't much hope of breaking the 70min/40min for our runs, but you've gotta finish fast. I do wonder how early I should start that "sprint" though.

BTW I figured pre-race that I might pass you near the end, based on your 40min aim, and my race starting half an hour earlier. It worked out well.

As for heart rates, I've got no idea about mine, and I don't plan to. I guess it would be interesting to know, but I as I've said before, I don't want to get analytical with the running.
    I pretty much started my sprint at the turn, so it wasn't overly long, but it feels fast (and hard) enough at the end of 8k's!!

No, I don't really want to get to analytical about mine either, I guess it's just nice to know, I certainly wouldn't of picked it being that high. Plus I guess it's indicative of my level of fitness improving.

Unitlink

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

Ryan, when do you plan to get the long runs in?
    I've done 2 x 13Km runs now. The plan is to go 14, 15, 16 over the next 3 weeks. From there I've got 1 more chance of a long run before the twighlight half in April, look for something around 17-19km. I don't expect to run any better than a 1hr 45min in April.

goughy

AP will be proud that I haven't worn my hrm for several months now! But I think I will on my race pace runs in future. I think I take it to easy on myself otherwise. But I when I wear it it acts as my pacer - I can sit on about the 160 to 175, if I go under I speed up, if I go over I slow down.

Don't slow down!!

goughy

I don't pick how things are going very well. It's that simple. I have no gauge on how fast I'm going etc.

Goughy, I believe with the long slow run you should be able to hold a comfortable conversation, if you can gas bag too much (like you can!!), you're going to slow, so speed up. If you can barely talk, slow down.

Unitlink

goughy

I talk to myself at home, I talk to myself at work! But I'm not having a conversation with myself while on a run! That's just plain crazy!!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I don't pick how things are going very well. It's that simple. I have no gauge on how fast I'm going etc.
    I really struggle to pace myself too....I don't seem to have a long slow run in me, always push too hard. Hoping with more running I will develop out of it.
    Last edited by Toolish; 17th February 2009 at 11:41 AM.

I haven't really developed it yet either, Toolish.

I have fast pace, which is about 4:45 to 5:15min/k, for my runs. Easy pace, which is more than that and quite often feels like I'm plodding and going nowhere.
    Then there's race pace at 4:30 and under, which I can only seem to produce with the adrenalin and crowds of a race situation.

goughy

I like the plodding and going nowhere. I just zone out and go along at my own pace. It's pushing it that I have more probs, especially with my right hammy lately. Gotta do something about it.

It's why I like using a hrm for my faster runs - it's a bit like having someone there pushing me along as I make sure I keep my hr above a certain level.

Whew..... I'm stuffed...

Went for a run this arvo, from Kangaroo Pt over the Storey Bridge down to the Regatta then back to Kangaroo Point via the Goodwill bridge. Wasn't going particularly fast, managed the 15km's in just over 1:26, so avg'd 5:40/km. Kept my hr at an avg of 167. Was pretty slow, but could've gone slower. Just need to get the k's into my legs, as it wasn't really the breathing or hr, just the lack of distance in my legs, and the extra 10kg's I'm carrying!!

Then after that, I picked up Joelle from work and we did another 3k's near the Kangaroo Point cliffs.....

Plus I went to one of the Podiatrist's at Intraining yesterday, looks like I'll be running without Orthotics once my new 'boats' get in.... So hopefully that won't stuff things up too much....

Unitlink

You shoe HO! Good experience at InTraining then?

Yeah, well my other shoes are worn out and actually too small as they are rubbing on my big toe of my left foot (my smaller foot!!). But yeah, he had me walk and run on the tready barefoot, then tried on a few pairs and ran in them, but they didn't have the ones he thinks will be the best in my 'boat' size so is ordering them in.

I'm just a bit worried about not having orthotics now, I've grown so used to them!!

Unitlink

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    managed the 15km's in just over 1:26, so avg'd 5:40/km. Kept my hr at an avg of 167. Was pretty slow, but could've gone slower.
    That's a high hr for a slow run - but then as you said you can run with a high 170's. For me 167 would have been a good hard run. Easy runs for me are under 150 or even less. Based on my hr calcs, a 70% of max run is about 145bpm. And 80% run should be about 157 for me - I've kept up an average of 160ish for a 14K run late last year.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    That's a high hr for a slow run - but then as you said you can run with a high 170's. For me 167 would have been a good hard run. Easy runs for me are under 150 or even less. Based on my hr calcs, a 70% of max run is about 145bpm. And 80% run should be about 157 for me - I've kept up an average of 160ish for a 14K run late last year.
    Yeah, it is high, but as my fast run Sunday had an avg of 184, 167 isn't too bad. Plus I expect in a few month's, when I've done a lot more running, that my avg hr will of come down considerably.

Unitlink

I would have been interested to know what my HR was getting to this morning.
    I did some speed work. 2 minutes going hard, followed by 1 minute standing recovery, 6 times. Every time I had the recovery, I could feel the heart going off it's nut, and I felt a bit like vomiting. I wouldn't feel better until after the 30, if not the 40, second mark of the minute. Then I had to go again...

Tough workout!

goughy

That's the way AP! I love the interval stuff. But I don't stop, generally just jog easy for a period afterwards. The swim run stuff we do at tri training has me near puking - I love it!!

I'm really struggling with my right hammy (I think it's my hammy). It's always felt a little twitchy, but now days it's getting sore, especially when I try and increase my stride length. I actually think it's starting to hold me back. I think I'm gonna see the physio about it.

I'm setting a goal of 55mins for the Peak to Park next week. I don't know if they have km markers out for this, so I think I'll map it on mapmyrun and work out where they'll fall.

I puke all the time. And I mean it; all the damn time. It's actually a running joke at the gym, as well as any group training I do. Basically anything involving a hard leg workout and the combination of lactic acid build-up, blood pressure highs and lows, and a high heart-rate usually sees me riding the Royal Daulton without fail.

I always keep going though. Only pussies puke and go home. Legends clean themselves up and catch up with the pack.

Protip: Vegemite toast is the best. It still tastes reasonably good.

Thread Information