Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

That's another good run AndyP.

I'm hoping to get out for my first run in about 2 weeks tomorrow. Damn bloody head cold.

I'll be taking it nice and easy as I don't want to take a backward step after finally starting to feel a bit better.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Bugger's me how you did 9k pushing a pram AP
    It will probably be easy now that I've pumped the tyres up on it.

I'm thinking of taking it on these 10k fun runs I do, to take Alex off the missus' hands. In fact, I probably should have done it today, considering it was her birthday, but I wanted to properly test myself against the time I did a month or so ago.

I might do it for the Bridge to Brisbane, since it's Father's Day. I don't suppose you could aim for doing that event, goughy? It would be a good event to target since a 30,000 people plus do the full course or the 4k.

goughy

How long is the bridge to brisbane run? Got 5 weeks to my full 5k. So it wouldn't be impossible I'm guessing.

Then again, you've seen how often I get out for golf on special occasions. Like, would you think fathers day would actually be about me, the father

What sort of pram do you use. Probably didn't help that mine was the old standard baby co pram that weighs a ton with rubber wheels. If you push it forward of you, it doesn't roll far!

How long is the bridge to brisbane run? Got 5 weeks to my full 5k. So it wouldn't be impossible I'm guessing.
    Last year it was 12k (11.83 or something actually), but this year it will be 10k, because they have moved the finish to the RNA Showgrounds.

What sort of pram do you use. Probably didn't help that mine was the old standard baby co pram that weighs a ton with rubber wheels. If you push it forward of you, it doesn't roll far!
    It has three wheels and a switch at the front for jogging which locks the wheel in, otherwise it gets the speed wobbles. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but it's fairly common. It's amazing how much difference having air in the tyres makes to it's roll.

I'm trying to stretch out my long runs now, in preparation for the half marathon in a couple of months time.

On the weekend before I came up here I did a 14k run at easy pace (81min) and today I ran from the house to base which is 16.8k, and I did that in 88.5min. It was a good pace for the whole run, even though it was tough work at the end. It takes me a few kilometres to find a decent rhythm most of the time, but it's great once you get into a groove.

Good to see the distances increasing AndyP. Which half are you looking at trying first?

I'm currently resting, damn head colds 2 weeks from the event. Will get back into it on Thursday provided I'm feeling right. It won't give me the best preparation but hey, I'm not in it to win it.

Training was going very well before getting the sniffles. I got myself a cheap hydration backpack purely for the water bladder to go into my day pack for longer bush walks (2 litres only). I thought I'd try it out Saturday before last (14/06?). Left home at 7:10am and returned at 10:10am (3 hours!!).

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...n/225903702376

I covered approx. 33Km's. I was pretty happy with that as I had never attempted to cover anything like it before. It was an enjoyable run through the Venman National park and the back of the Daisy Hill state forrest. A bit hilly though!!

Not an ideal preparation for a half marathon I know. That's the joy of trying to prepare for 2 very different events at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    Good to see the distances increasing AndyP. Which half are you looking at trying first?
    The Noosa Half Marathon.

I got myself a cheap hydration backpack purely for the water bladder to go into my day pack for longer bush walks (2 litres only).
    I carried a water bottle for the first time today. It was by hand, so it was a little painful. Usually I try to go past a couple of taps to get the fluids.

Did you know where you were heading when you started your run?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The Noosa Half Marathon.
    I might see you there. A mate of mine from work will miss the Gold Coast so he was also keen on running at Noosa.

Did you know where you were heading when you started your run?
    I had intended to cover at least 21-23 Km. I knew in advance that it was about 7.5Km from my place to the entrance to the National Park and that there was a 7.5Km loop within it. I was just enjoying the off-road running so much that I got carried away and decided to go from the NP into the back of Daisy Hill Forrest.

In fact the run was probably closer to 34-35Km as I got lost a couple of times and had to double back. Including two trips around the old Quarry at the back of the State Forrest. When you've been running for 90 mins its not a nice feeling when you realise you just went in a circle for the last 20mins.

Its a beautiful area to go for a run. I didn't realise that I had that sort of terrain virtually on my doorstep. I only came across one other person there (also running). He looked like he was in his early fifties and was as fit as anyone out there. I think he was as surprised to see me as I was to see him.

Anyway I couldn't wait until Thursday. Had a little trouble sleeping last night so I got up at 3:30am for a run. I took it nice and easy and wore plenty of layers so no records were broken. Looking forward to the Gold Coast, just 11 more sleeps.

You're almost up to marathon distance now. Great stuff!

Good luck to both yourself and Iain at the Gold Coast event.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Finally went for a decent run on Wednesday arvo. Straight after work, stopped at the Kangaroo point cliffs, went over the story bridge, along the floating walkway, down Coro drive to the Regatta and back to Kangaroo point via the Goodwill bridge. Did it in about 75mins, just mapped it on mapmyrun.com, roughly it was 15km's but it's hard to say definitively since it's mostly on bike paths.

Hopefully will do the same run on Sunday, may try to stretch it out a little more though.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

goughy

Well now I've gone and put my foot in it!!!!! Was talking to one of Rob's boss's last night. He competes in triathlons, which is something I've always wanted to do.

So I've committed to joining him in the BRW triathlon at the Gold Coast next year as part of a 3 person team completing in a tag team.
    http://www.supersprint.com.au/Defaul...=80&Template=9

And then he wants me to do the Noosa with him!!!!! And if I don't take it seriously Rob gets the sack! Oh dear! I can't even run 5k's yet. I have some work to do...

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Woohoo, good onya Goughy, now i have a chance of beating at least one person.

I am keen on the bike ride section, cos you can pedal a bit then rest. Cant do that swimmin!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

He said we aren't entering the race where you each do a leg. One does the full triathlon then tags off and the next does the full triathlon and then tags off to the last.

Some of those times are scary. Some were doing the 4k run (after swim and bike) in less than 3.5minute/k. Today I did my first 5min walk/25min run/5min walk. I hate hills. Worked out I did the first 2.3k's at about 4.4min/k which is about 2min/k faster than my average so far. But the nest 1.9k was almost all up hill and I was doing them in just under 8min/k. So I hate hills!

There's some commitment, goughy. Good luck to ya.

I'll stick to the running thanks, as I'm not a fan of swimming. Fortunately each leg doesn't look like a killer.

If you are doing 4.4min/k, it sounds like you are going too hard.

I've clocked up 120km for the month and 40k this week. At this rate, I'll be needing new shoes again in no time.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

He said we aren't entering the race where you each do a leg. One does the full triathlon then tags off and the next does the full triathlon and then tags off to the last.
    Goughy, thats a 400m swim. I swam 400m once, i started in Grade 4 and finished in Grade 12.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

I trained for like 12 years many eons ago. 1500mtrs was a warm up in those days. But it's been a long long time! Also played water polo.

I thought I would be worried that I'm over committing, but I'm not. I'm happier having the targets 'cause at least then I'm aiming for something.

The rest of the runs I'm going to do to the end of the c25k are gonna be done a bit easier. No point killing myself. Good news is that after 1k my knees stopped hurting. Don't know if they are finally getting better or if the 18 holes today as a warm up helped.

goughy - the BRW is a breeze.

Even if you're not very fit you can just wade 80% of the swim leg, go for a leisurely ride and then jog the 4km's and still beat half the old corporate fat cats in their company logo lycra.

The BRW is great fun
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

That's what I figured. I won't be taking it too seriously.

Rob's boss was taking about company logo lycra!! Actually, he was taking speedo's but the site of rob puking on the table at the thought of it changed his tack!

Well, went for my last run before Sunday yesterday. Did 2 laps around the Goodwill and Story bridge. Approx 12km's.

Not sure how I'll go Sunday, as I haven't done anywhere near as much running as I wanted to since the QLD half. I certainly don't think I've lost too much if any fitness, so will be interesting.

Unitlink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Well, went for my last run before Sunday yesterday. Did 2 laps around the Goodwill and Story bridge. Approx 12km's.

Not sure how I'll go Sunday, as I haven't done anywhere near as much running as I wanted to since the QLD half. I certainly don't think I've lost too much if any fitness, so will be interesting.
    Two laps of that circuit should be more like 13k, unless you went right to the end of Kangaroo Point then back past the Story Bridge Hotel. It's one I used to do all the time.

That seems like a long run just before a HM?
    What's your pre-race plan this time?

Two laps of that circuit should be more like 13k, unless you went right to the end of Kangaroo Point then back past the Story Bridge Hotel. It's one I used to do all the time.
    Oh ok, no I didn't go all the way to the end, just up the stairs beyond that Canoing place.

That seems like a long run just before a HM?
    What's your pre-race plan this time?
    Yeah, but I wanted to do a decent run since I haven't done too much lately, I didn't go too hard (avg h/r was only 160bpm over 1:06), and figured I'm in good enough shape to be ok by Sunday. As I'll do light x-trainer and stretch tomorrow, then nothing but stretching Sat.

Am staying down in Surfers for this, will have a couple of pieces of toast with Vegiemite and a banana about an hour before and maybe one of those pre-race drinks 30-60mins prior. Will have to bus it in, but that shouldn't be too far. Hope to come in around 1:50, so that means 26m/5km.

Hopefully I won't suffer cramps this time, as when I did the 15km last week I had no problems whatsoever at a decent pace. So hopefully that breaky will give me enough to get through.
    Last edited by Iain; 3rd July 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Unitlink

I've seen the times, I've spoken to Iain, now for the reports. It sounds like it was a good day. Well done, guys!

The times are available on the GC marathon site for those who want to know.

I can't believe I'll be doing my first half marathon in 7 weeks time.

goughy

Impressive Iain!!! From what I can see over the 21k's you average at least 1 minute less per k than I do over 4.5k's. Shit I have some work to do. Not that I have a competitive nature at all. You've all played golf with me

Those 20k's are a real milestone distance as far as I'm concerned.

Those 20k's are a real milestone distance as far as I'm concerned.
    21.1k, but who's counting.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Feeling very dejected after my 10k today with a time of 1:04.50 however the website says otherwise for some reason.

Didn't help having a week interstate for work with food and grog, having a very disrupted sleep due to little miss or having to run a 1km just to get to the start line on time. And next year the wiser and I will not find myself at the back on the start line again having to weave, duck, accelerate and stop for the first few k's in order to avoid people.

Excuses aside, my training and recent treadmill work were hinting a much quicker time but I tried to not get too excited. I really wanted to break the hour and with the amount of running that I have been doing, pretty pissed for not making it. Lost in to a bit of mind over matter when the hrm was reading high 180's a few times which ensured I walked to try and get it down. Ended up averaging 181 for the duration with a high of 191 so it wasn't for a lack of trying.

09 was meant to be the half marathon but not after todays effort. On the positives, I'm feeling great, have lost a few kg's and enjoying running like never before.

So, I look forward to next year when I will do it all again but just hopefully a little faster!
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Thread Information