Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Run OZgolf Run

goughy

That's one of the key things I've always heard. Start hydrating like a week before some event or something!

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    How long before the race should we have a last long run? I was going to try and have a long run tomorrow and probably Friday or should I just make it tomorrow. Then just do some shorter fast runs, in the week leading up. I haven't really gotten into the sprints or hill climbs, all a bit confusing atm....
    Friday will be fine for your last long run for a 1/2 marathon. Full marathon you probably need 2-3 weeks, but for a half it is best to do a 15-16km run about a week to 9 days before IMO.

Also, don't be afraid to go for 3 or 4 shorter runs in the week of the event. It's important to keep the legs turning over and keep your base fitness that you've built up.

Don't get into sprints or hills now if you haven't been doing them already.
    TM Tour R1 Black - Fuji Blur TS 65S
    TM Jetspeed Tour 15* - Motore Speeder TP X
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 18* - ProjX 6.0
    4-9 Titleist 714 AP2 - Proj X 5.5
    Vokey SM5 51*, 55*
    Cleveland 588REG. 60*
    TM Spider Limited

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    Friday will be fine for your last long run for a 1/2 marathon. Full marathon you probably need 2-3 weeks, but for a half it is best to do a 15-16km run about a week to 9 days before IMO.

Also, don't be afraid to go for 3 or 4 shorter runs in the week of the event. It's important to keep the legs turning over and keep your base fitness that you've built up.

Don't get into sprints or hills now if you haven't been doing them already.
    Thanks Boonie, I'll take your advice on board, I wasn't going to do any hills or anything before, I'll have a look after the Gold Coast before I look at doing any of those types of things.

I was definitely going to do some shorter runs next week, as like you say, I want to keep the fitness levels up, just have to be careful not to do too much, but I'll learn what my body likes and dislikes pretty quickly I think.

Quote Originally Posted by senecio View Post
    I wouldn't recommend doing anything over 15km in the next 2 weeks, but if you fell like you need a long run make it early/mid this week. If you haven't gotten into the sprints or hill runs yet, don't start now. Just have the one last long run and make the rest a mixture of short runs at race pace or middle distance at recovery pace.
    Cheers Ryan, just got back from a long run. Was a little bit longer than last week, at about 17.3km's. Probably won't do anything longer than 9 now. Here's a link of the run I just did - http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/australi...k/248313937315

Don't be too concerned if you haven't run the full 21.1Km in your training. Even the elite guys rarely cover the full distance until race day. Your adrenaline and determination to finish will get you over the last couple of km's.

Best tip is to stay hydrated in the week up to the event. Hydration doesn't just start on race day. Drinking from a plastic cup while running is more difficult than it looks. Slow down to a walk if you have to to get in all in. A face full of sticky sweet sports drink is not a nice feeling. And alternate between the sports drink and water at each drink station.

More importantly relax, enjoy it and take in the atmosphere.
    No, I'm pretty certain I'll be able to finish the race running, so thats not a problem (I hope!!)

Yeah, I got water all over myself at the mothers day run, I think I will slow down more for the drinks during the half, won't really take much time off...

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Give away the indoor-netball too Iain, it's bad for your kankles
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    Give away the indoor-netball too Iain, it's bad for your kankles
    Nah mate, I was on fire yesterday!!

I'm the engine room for our team...

Unitlink

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Holy ****balls! I just did the 10k Rotary fun run at UQ in 43m10s or thereabouts.

I'm wondering if it was actually 10k, because I can't believe I went nearly 4 minutes faster than the last 10k I did.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Oh to be 30 kilos lighter

Great times AP, very impressive mate..
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

goughy

I aspire to do those times AP. I wouldn't even be covering half of that in that time yet. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Holy ****balls! I just did the 10k Rotary fun run at UQ in 43m10s or thereabouts.

I'm wondering if it was actually 10k, because I can't believe I went nearly 4 minutes faster than the last 10k I did.
    Haha, I knew it was too good to be true. It looks like my Ipod paused and unpaused during the race.

Official time was 46m44s, which is still my PB by 15s.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

That's still a great time P, congratulations. Do you think you can shave the 10s/km off to go a sub 45mins?

No long run for me yesterday. Just a 27km bush walk instead, bloody hard going. 6hrs 15 minutes and over 1700m of elevation gain/loss. It was pretty good training for running though. The sort of terrain we covered did wonders for leg strength.

Bring on July 19th (96km, ~24hrs, 5,000m of elevation gain). Still not sure I realise what I've got myself in for.

6hrs on your feet is a bloody long time walking.

I don't know if I can shave the 10s per km off for the Doomben run, but I guess it's something to aim for. Maybe I need to pace myself better, as I don't seem to have any problems going hard at the end of the race, and I do start out pretty easy. I'm sure Doomben will have kilometre markers out, so I might try pacing myself for 4.5min/km (plus lock the Ipod), and see how I go.

That's great efforts guys.

Went for a 3.15 km run yesterday on a reasonably hilly circuit and got 14:26 (but couldn't have maintained it for longer).
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Great time Andy!!

Haven't been for a run since Friday (but been to the gym still), so will be going out tomorrow morning for a shortish run, just to keep the legs going.

Unitlink

Enjoy yourselves on Sunday guys. I'm going to have to give this one a miss. The bush walk last Sunday has all but destroyed my quads and there is a real risk of injury if I run this weekend. I was looking forward to running at Doomben too.

I'll have to concentrate on the Gold Coast now.

Bummer! I'm feeling a little dodgy in some muscles myself, but then again, that's most of the time anyway.

goughy

Week 3 of my couch to 5k, and we had to do some 3 minute runs! Bugger I felt those.

But - I had to run back to the car the other day at shopping as I'd left my banking in there, and it was much easier than it used to be!

Does that count the same as a 10k run??

Were you carrying $10k?

goughy

Felt like I was carrying 10kg extra in my belly!

It looks like it could be a wet and windy one on Sunday, Iain. So far the Bay to Brissy bike ride and Cartwright Classic on the Sunny Coast have been canceled for this weekend due to severe weather warnings. I've run in the rain a few times, and the worst was when it was into my face, stinging my eyes and blinding me. I think I might take some glasses just for the rain.....

Good luck in your half marathon, I'll probably see you beforehand and hang around afterwards to cheer you in. In some ways, I wish I was doing the HM too.

If I pass you in my 10k after you get a 20min headstart, I'll know you're in trouble.

goughy

I ran in the rain up at maroochy today and it was ok.

It looks like it could be a wet and windy one on Sunday, Iain. So far the Bay to Brissy bike ride and Cartwright Classic on the Sunny Coast have been canceled for this weekend due to severe weather warnings. I've run in the rain a few times, and the worst was when it was into my face, stinging my eyes and blinding me. I think I might take some glasses just for the rain.....

Good luck in your half marathon, I'll probably see you beforehand and hang around afterwards to cheer you in. In some ways, I wish I was doing the HM too.

If I pass you in my 10k after you get a 20min headstart, I'll know you're in trouble.
    Yep, just about to head to bed, and it's pissing down here, apparently they don't cancel for anything.....

I've got a pair of Oakley's, will take them, but they are a dark tint, so will see what it's like when I get there....

Unitlink

So much for the horrid weather. It was sunny for the majority of my 10k run at Doomben this morning.

I've now learnt that the Ipod is useless as a stopwatch. It's time was 3 minutes out this morning.

Anyway, my gun time was around the 45m15s mark, so my nett would have been a little less than this. Official times come out later in the week.

Although I was having a crack at beating the 45min mark, I'm not unhappy with my time. I decided to start a bit harder this time, so I wouldn't be leaving anything in the tank.
    It's 90s better than last week's race.

Props to Iain for his completion of the half marathon (21.1k). I'll let him provide the details, but it's a great effort.

So much for the horrid weather. It was sunny for the majority of my 10k run at Doomben this morning.
    Didn't really eventuate did it, slight rain when I got there, but the whole race was dry. Was still a little slippery, which I think affected me mentally more than anything.

I've now learnt that the Ipod is useless as a stopwatch. It's time was 3 minutes out this morning.
    Like I said this morning, I wouldn't think the electronics would be affected by bumping?? Strange??

Anyway, my gun time was around the 45m15s mark, so my nett would have been a little less than this. Official times come out later in the week.

Although I was having a crack at beating the 45min mark, I'm not unhappy with my time. I decided to start a bit harder this time, so I wouldn't be leaving anything in the tank.
    It's 90s better than last week's race.
    Awesome time Andy, be interesting to see how you go when you the do the half, as you seem to be able to keep a good pace.

Props to Iain for his completion of the half marathon (21.1k). I'll let him provide the details, but it's a great effort.
    Cheer's P. Yes, it certainly was awesome feeling completing it. Even though the last 5km's were a struggle, as I think I was pretty severely dehydrated, and I may have eaten a bit too much for breakfast, so I'll know for next time as it's all a learning experience for the next one!! So hopefully next time I'll be aiming to crack 1:50.

I must say though, my heart rate seems very high, as I averaged 183bpm (over the 2 hours). For the first 10km, I was cruising at roughly 5min/km pace, I didn't feel stressed, my breathing was ok, but my heart rate, (I looked a couple times) was around 184, which I find odd as I am ten times fitter than I was 3 months ago....

Unitlink

Well done to both of you, very impressive and inspiring.. especially Iain on his HM efforts!

Just been in Melb for a week of sales calls so not much time for running. Had a few sessions on the treadmill with the first quite amusing. I usually find the treadmill easier to run on so decided to start at 9.5 and go from there. After 20 minutes, I am drenched and my HR is mid 180's! I'd had one day off from running and couldn't work out why my fitness had dropped so much...

So I'm doing a bit of a cool down and started reading the treadmill instructions... seems that the machine measures in miles and not km! So 20 minutes later at just over 15km/hr and all of a sudden, I was pretty happy with myself...
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Great runs guys. Surely that would equate to a sub 45mins net time Andy? How long after the gun went did you cross the start line?

Congratulations Iain!! There will be many more I'm sure, but you'll always remember the first HM. For no other reason but the pain over the last couple of KM's.

I'm still disappointed to have missed it, but happy I made the right decision to sit it out. Now if only this rain would piss off so I could get back out on the road.

Don't forget, registration for the Gold Coast has to be in by this Wednesday the 4th to avoid paying the late entry fee.

Thread Information