Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Vision golf balls comparison tests.

Vision golf balls comparison tests.

Firstly, I would like to thank Boz for it this opportunity to compare his golf balls to other golf balls on the market. It is fantastic to have a local supplier with a great product. This comparison is purely technical. I have not included things such as colour or appearance. This comparison will cover the vision expert 2, and a very colourful vision golf ball. The Distance Pro is just that – a distance ball, the other two have some remarkable qualities.

It is my opinion that choosing a golf ball depends on three simple things. Driver spin, Iron spin and wedge spin. You can break this down to bashing it, flighting it and spinning it. Putter feel may be important to some people, but seeing as putters can have different inserts and fabrication materials – there are just too many variables to make a decent assessment.

The Vision ball, or your next Ambrose Ball.
    I must admit having a soft spot for this ball. It is one of the best wind balls I've ever hit. It is also one of the longest driver balls I have ever hit. If you are the kind of person who hits a lot of greens in regulation, then this is the golf ball for you. I can hit the ball high, I can hit this ball low, it does not balloon into the wind, and it just seems to keep on going. It is just a fabulous Ambrose golf ball.

Once you have a mid to high iron in your hand, the fun doesn't stop. With any kind of four or three-quarter golf shot. This ball will not only stop, you can also spin it back. If you match this quality with the ball being almost impervious to wind, it makes for very accurate approach shots. I have been known to favouring the lower kind of wedge shot, this ball and a nine iron makes this kind of shot seem like cheating. I found this for very hard to move left to right in the air. I could either move a lot or none at all.

And now the problem, shots just off the green, around a 30m mark. You can get some check on the ball but the amount of risk you have to take to get that much hand speed behind the golf ball is not something I feel happy with. I believe this has to do with the cover of the golf ball, but more on this later.

The Vision Expert ball.
    I was quite bemused when I noticed that the spin rates at this golf ball, especially with the driver were almost identical. That is some feat. Normally when you make a golf ball softer, the spin rates go up, especially with the driver. Somehow Boz has managed to do this. This means that this ball also has a special “Vision immunity” to wind. Sure, the wind will move the ball to the left or right but compared to normal golf ball, it is substantially less.

I noticed that I was able to hit my lower irons are little higher with this golf ball. And while the ability to shape the ball was there, I could move the ball a little left or right, but not consistently. This higher ball flight continued into the mid-and higher irons, with ample spin and control from any fairway lie. I had a couple of shots in the rough and found that flyers were very rare indeed.

Once around the green and chipping, the same kind of problem arose. To get the ball to spin or check with the shorter chip shots, I had to put a very aggressive swing on the golf ball. The ball would check but it would not grip the surface, especially on the harder greens I was playing on.

Conclusion
    So after the four or five rounds with a half-dozen golf balls that were provided, we can see where these golf balls have their pros and cons.

With the driver
    These golf balls are some of the best driving golf balls you will ever hit. They are consistently long, straight and seemingly impervious to the wind. If you're not using the vision ball during your next Ambrose event, then you are an idiot.

With the irons.
    With full and three-quarter shots, these balls will have a consistent flight and enough spin to hold pretty much any green you hit it at. If you cannot get these balls to spin from 75m with a pitching wedge than is a technique issue and not a ball problem.

Where the wedges
    This is the only problem I had with these golf balls, my wedges were unable to get any grip on the cover of these golf balls. While these golf balls feel soft enough in the hand to be able to spin them, I just could not get any more than a subtle check around the greens.

The cover.
    One last word on the cover. My technical knowledge about golf balls is limited, but this cover scuffs up quite a lot. And when I say scuff, it's more like scratches. I've not seen this kind of markings on the golf ball since the old days.

I truly believe that if this cover is modified in some way so we can get more grip on the ball, I would happily play this golf ball at any course in any event.

At present, the lack of control around the greens, limits me using this golf ball to Ambrose days where I don’t do any chipping.
    Last edited by virge666; 23rd April 2008 at 01:20 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have tried the Vision expert and found the same thing...everything except partial wedges was good. Although I didn't have any scuffing issues. Also, for me, the feel off the putter was a bit firm, but that is very much personal preference.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The Vision balls are junk and poor value in my opinion.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Any man who uses coloured golf balls has some serious issues.

Did you ask Boz why he hasn't got anything to do with Titleist anymore?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I thought they were pretty ordinary.... for the price i can get better balls.

Well said shazza. These balls are basic junk quality rubbish no better than the usual $20 crap you can buy from K-Mart. They are not even remotely close to being a premium quality ball. The pricing is way over the top.

I cannot for one second imagine why anyone would use them unless they were free.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I also tried them a while ago when Blakey had the freebies around here.

Not a bad ball, but not good enough for me to change, short game spin was low as virge said and the scuffing for me was a major issue, one ball was used for 5 holes and looked like it had seen 5 rounds.

Feel was fine off the driver and irons, no increase or decrease in distance from my perspective but I really don't see distance changes when trying different balls anyway.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Obviously someone has been talking to Boz, did he give an update on the new version coming very soon?

My guess is he will post here shortly anyway
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I cannot for one second imagine why anyone would use them unless they were free.
    I cannot agree, the problem that I have with most of the 2nd string golf balls is that they Balloon or they feel like stones. Their compression is too low and I find I have to take a lot off the shot to get any decent kind of flight on them.

The Top Flight Gamer is a perfect example. This is a classic illusion golf ball. There is no short range spin, you have to jab down hard on the back of it to get any kind of action on the ball, the mid and high iron spin is OK, but it just gets hammered by the wind. And with the driver, anyone with a swing speed over 95 may as well throw the bloody thing let alone hit it.

If you don't have the low 60 deg wedge shot, then the expert ball is fantastic. Except that the cover looks like it has done 4 rounds with Tyson after 9 holes.

The DT Solo, Hawk, Laddie Extreme are all in the same boat also. There is nothing out there for better players that isn't $8 a ball. Callaway have nothing, Srixon have nothing and top flight are aimed at pensioners. For the price you may as well just keep calling Squizzies in QLD and get 60 Pro V1x balls for $100.

Why can't someone make a Strata Tour ultimate from a few years back for $3-4?

If Boz can get a better cover on the ball, it would be a real option !

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

If Boz can get a better cover on the ball, it would be a real option !
    This is precisely my point. These current balls have none of the attributes of a premium ball (ProV, B330s, TM TP, CAlly HX etc etc) simply because the covers are rubbish. They play like a rock and scuff up very badly. An elite player would never consider them for this reason alone, especially at the price.

goughy

Jeeze Jack, I can see this discussion is making your (or someones) eyes go cross eyed!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

i like the expert and hogan hawks and strata tour professionals/ultimate.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Boz was kind enough to send to some for the test pilot program as well, its not nice to criticize things that are given for free but..... I would not buy the ball, as said above they felt rock hard yet scuffed badly. Sorry Boz

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Boz was kind enough to send to some for the test pilot program as well, its not nice to criticize things that are given for free but..... I would not buy the ball, as said above they felt rock hard yet scuffed badly. Sorry Boz
    What complete nonsense. It doesn't matter where the balls came from, free or not. The only important thing is the quality of the balls and the opinions of those who have tried them. If Boz is serious about this, then he will have no problem taking some criticism from time to time.

goughy

I don't think he has any issues with criticism at all. This was discussed before the balls were given to the guys to try at the champs. We mentioned he'd have to take the good with the bad and he was happy with that.

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I will second the comment Virge makes that they would be a great Ambrose ball and I find the distance off the tee great. The scuffing is an issue but I would be keen to see the new and improved version. I am a firm believer in supporting Aussie businesses bearing in mind the cost comparison to similar offerings.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

i find that my local 2nd hand ball bloke thinks that they are some cheapo pill, and thus does them for $1, until he cottons on that they are dearer than he realises i'll buy them - i just need to get around there and pick a few up.
    I'd go the Tour Professionals by Strata everyday if you could find them in good nic (becoming too hard to find now though)
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Hi Guys,

Interesting reading and thanks Virge for the great detail as that is so useful.

I am currently working on the next stage of my ball program, which involved
    pulling as many reactions from the greatest range of golfers to the three current balls.

No problems with the knock backs but it would be more helpful if I could more
    detail and your current ball preference to understand your game better and
    work on the areas of concern.

Currently we are using HPF1000 cover resin from DuPont and I have been testing
    their new Hi Performance HPF 2000 covers and core formulations. DuPont have not
    really been able to make these plastic's as flexible as urethane so most balls to date
    no matter who makes them have an issue with shearing with the softer versions.

DuPont have now come to the party with a totally new product which they hope will
    be a future replacement material for urethane in Tour products,we are currently building
    and testing some versions of this cover with the hope of using it in our US summer product.

In regards to coloured balls and more specifically my UV Yellow ball,please don't
    bag this colour as there are a multitude of current players that do not see their
    ball in flight and take forever to find them. These players are finding the UV ball
    is keeping them in the game plus they are enjoying playing more than they have
    for a longtime only to have some uninformed Tour ball player sledge them for playing a
    range/ladies ball. If you want golf to speed up plus keep players in the game as long as
    possible, seeing that the numbers are now dropping maybe it might be time to think
    about suggesting this type of ball to those players that you know would love
    to keep an eye on their own ball and not have to always ask for help.

Anyway that's where I am to date and like I said I appreciate the fact that
    there is a discussion and it does help drive the format of the next balls.

PS : I retired from role with Titleist in 2004 for family reasons. I was travelling
    39 weeks of the year and my three boys are in their teens and needed me
    to be around a bit more than that.

I work to live and that was the right call at the time, as this trip with Vision
    has been very difficult but has allowed me to see how I go under the pump
    on a daily basis.
    Last edited by TheBoz_fromOz; 24th April 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Actually not bad. Quite a balanced response.

Still think Pro V1x is the best ball for me though, and it will take a hell of a lot to convince me otherwise.

I'm really suprised how many people are too tight to pay for the best balls, yet complain that they don't get premium performance.

Mint condition secondhand Prov1X's from Brookwaterballs are still the best bet as far as i'm concerned.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Hey Jarro,

How much are they going for? as there seems to be a glut of second hand
    ProV1+X's around the world.

I was offered the distribution rights for the reconditioned ProV's etc balls out of
    Florida but even landing them for A$20 cost, there is no real money to be made.

This will probably be a yardstick for the possible value of premium alternative
    level balls to the Titleist over time as there won't be anything coming out that
    is significantly better just similar.

My main aim is to end up with a UV players ball, as that would be unique and will
    have its own set of attributes and values to an end user.

Plus there is a large group of players that do not benefit from the higher spin
    of the urethane balls but do like the feel and chipping control they give.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoz_fromOz View Post
    How much are they going for? as there seems to be a glut of second hand ProV1+X's around the world.
    One problem is that none of the overseas wholesalers seem willing to sell Prov1's unless you buy more of their crap balls as well, even if buying in huge quantities, like 10,000's

i think the current rate at a local wholesaler is around $2.20 + GST, plus he makes you buy at least 1:1 of the same crap balls he was forced to import
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Hi Mark,

That confirms what I have been hearing. This is also why I am pushing so
    hard for the UV-X2 ball as it cannot be replaced by high grade second hand
    product.

I have been told prototypes of the newer cover material will be in early
    next month, so I will be in contact.

Cheers,
    Boz.

I had a hit with the Vision large number ball on just one hole yesterday, but it was an interesting experience.

I have played this ball many times before anyway for full rounds, so it no surprise to me, but the difference between Prov1 and the Vision was obviously more apparent yesterday.

There is a 280m dogleg left Par 4, if I can hook it a bit, I can get close to the front of the green. It was into the breeze so I pulled out the vision ball coz its a better wind ball, and hit it as hard as i could, which usually results in my trademark slingshot hook.

I got it out of the screws but dead straight. It is hard to describe the feel, compared to the Prov1 off the middle, it seems to feel softer, but more solid. That might make sense to you, as you would know exactly how it differs to the ProV1

The next shot was the interesting one, 30m pitch over the bunker, nipped it nicely, propped up a bit on the first bounce and landed in the hole on the 2nd - didnt even rattle in the cup

I wonder if you could explain the actual difference between the Vision and the Xpert2, because I find the Vision feels slightly softer, and they both appear to spin the same to me.

Maybe the Vision has a lower compression, than the Xpert2
    --
    Handy-Cap

Hi Mark,

Nice story.

The cover material in both balls is similar and you are right there is a variation
    in the inner core compression. The Big Number is aimed at 70/75 and the Xpert
    80/85. The feel I have been going for all the time is soft/solid so your description
    is spot on.

Most people don't understand the ProV1 that well, it is not a high compression ball.
    It is more like 85/90 compression where as most tour balls over the past few
    years have been closer to 95/105. That is why so many normal golfers find they
    can get good distance from a ProV1,the only issue for the higher handicap players
    is the high spin rate, that makes bad shots worse and wind play a bit more difficult
    for them.

Nice 2 though,
    Cheers,
    Boz.

Thread Information