Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15
    Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I've played a couple of times as I have mates who were Ashlar members, enjoyed it, they were in the process of converting 18 the last time (not sure why). Unlike most Sydney courses it has some width and whilst there is housing, its not overly intrusive.

Stonecutters like most clubs at the moment presumably have member pressure on their time sheets. You can still have green fee players however you need to balance them against member dissatisfaction and particularly in winter, course condition.

Additionally if like most clubs they had the government paying staff wages in the last lockdown, they are probably travelling reasonably well financially........easy to get rid of green fee players if all the above is in play.
    No suggestion to get rid of green fee paying players, they should be a source of revenue to keep increases in subscriptions under control, but one would expect that the green fee should increase over time to reflect the similar increase in member subs, especially given that the nearby options (RO, Lynwood, Twin Creeks) are decidedly more expensive

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Has Stonecutters always had back to back par 3s for 16 and 17?

Just had a look at it on Google maps for the first time

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Yep. Two pretty good holes, too.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Has Stonecutters always had back to back par 3s for 16 and 17?

Just had a look at it on Google maps for the first time
    Yes, it was a bit messy when it first opened as the 17th tee plates were in front of the 16th tee boxes which should never have been accepted as its a design flaw. A quick solution to move the 17th tee has ruined what was a great medium length par 3. Maybe some changes on the way so keep an eye out for something new

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Both 16 and 17 look like they have been tacked on as an after thought. I really cant see Norman doing that.

I wouldnt mind betting that there was some alterations done by the developer long after the initial plan was put in place. I got some vague recollections of changes from talking to our Ozgolfer residents there back before the course was finished - only the 7th hole was done as a demo, but I would be guessing what they are. Could have been the hole they live on being renumbered or clubhouse in a different spot. Maybe one day they will decide to play golf again and tell us all about it
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Both 16 and 17 look like they have been tacked on as an after thought. I really cant see Norman doing that.

I wouldnt mind betting that there was some alterations done by the developer long after the initial plan was put in place. I got some vague recollections of changes from talking to our Ozgolfer residents there back before the course was finished - only the 7th hole was done as a demo, but I would be guessing what they are. Could have been the hole they live on being renumbered or clubhouse in a different spot. Maybe one day they will decide to play golf again and tell us all about it
    Lots of changes from the original Greg Norman design - the gas pipeline was brought to his attention after he had completed the design and started building the demo hole which was the 6th on his plan.

As for Amanda and Brad, they aren't involved in the club at this time and not sure if they still live by the 8th tee

To summarise:
    1st - par 5 - tee off next to driving range and tennis courts (where the car park now is - carpark in the area where the practice greens and first tee) to green in same place
    2nd - par 3 - across dam currently next to 3rd green - green at the end of the current dam
    3rd - par 4 - similar to current 4th hole
    4th - par 4 - similar to current 5th hole
    5th - par 3 - current 6th hole
    6th - par 4 - current 7th hole
    7th - par 4 - current 8th hole (with an extra bunker)
    8th - par 5 - current 9th hole extended to approx 500m with green near existing 10th tee
    9th - par 4 - parallel to existing 9th hole
    10th - par 4 - hugging the right hand side of the existing dam next to the current 10th green
    11th - par 5 - tee near existing 10th green to existing 12th green
    12th - par 4 - current 13th hole
    13th - par 4 - current 14th hole
    14th - par 4 - from existing 15th tee to a green across the gully in the fairway near the left out of bounds fence
    15th - par 3 - up hill to a green in a similar place to the current rough area in between the 11th green and 15th fairway
    16th - par 4 - down hill to a green on the left side of the dam near the current 16th green
    17th - par 3 - tee in front of existing 16th green to a similar shaped green facing the tee box as designed (rather than the current angle that looks out of place)
    18th - par 5 - tee from near the current ladies 17th tee that dog legs to a green behind the current driving range tee (near the green staff machinery sheds)

In this plan, the green staff machinery shed is behind the 15th tee/left of the 16th fairway

if you google search the Stonecutters 2004 layout the diagram is on page 65 of the Blacktown City Council development plan for the estate

it would have been a greater layout than what ended up being built in my opinion.
    Last edited by scratchoz; 6th August 2021 at 05:36 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Great write up man...i think i remember been told about some of that
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by scratchoz View Post
    Lots of changes from the original Greg Norman design ... if you google search the Stonecutters 2004 layout the diagram is on page 65 of the Blacktown City Council development plan for the estate
    Wow ... looking at that plan (as you say found on Page 65 here) they really did butcher the original design. Its certainly not a bad course but does feel disjointed and perhaps a little underwhelming which is now understandable. Assume this is part of the reason Norman distanced himself from the finished product

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Wow ... looking at that plan (as you say found on Page 65 here) they really did butcher the original design. Its certainly not a bad course but does feel disjointed and perhaps a little underwhelming which is now understandable. Assume this is part of the reason Norman distanced himself from the finished product
    The developers expected GN to redesign for a very small fee - construction had already commenced and he had made the site visits before moving on to the next project. Club has reached out many years ago and reception was frosty at best. The delivered product isn't as great as the original plan - if GN had got involved again I could definitely see the last three holes being very different to what they are as there is a very good section of creekside land left of the current 18th fairway that would have been a sensational route for a finishing hole with 16 staying as a great short par 4. Unfortunately we will never know.....

Banned

The developers expected GN to redesign for a very small fee - construction had already commenced and he had made the site visits before moving on to the next project. Club has reached out many years ago and reception was frosty at best. The delivered product isn't as great as the original plan - if GN had got involved again I could definitely see the last three holes being very different to what they are as there is a very good section of creekside land left of the current 18th fairway that would have been a sensational route for a finishing hole with 16 staying as a great short par 4. Unfortunately we will never know.....
    When Sydney was COVID free for the first part of the year this year, how were round times at SCR? I've been a member there in the past and really like the course and the facilities and the people are very nice but the course is always PACKED and round times are glacial. Has anything changed in that regard? Not trying to fling shit, just wondering. Cheers

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    When Sydney was COVID free for the first part of the year this year, how were round times at SCR? I've been a member there in the past and really like the course and the facilities and the people are very nice but the course is always PACKED and round times are glacial. Has anything changed in that regard? Not trying to fling shit, just wondering. Cheers
    No offence taken - it's a known fact and even members are frustrated by slow play

The round times have always been an issue and in groups of 4 it averages around 4:15 for 18 holes in comp on the weekend - don't even think about coming for a social game on the weekend, $35 green fees and people writing cheques their golf games can't cash along with trouble on one or both sides off the tee on 8 of the first 9 holes doesn't bode well for a quick day if you're caught behind a group of choppers with no understanding of golf etiquette.

Hopefully social fees will dramatically increase in the near future as the traffic is taking its toll on the course and the volume of players will drop and the first timers will be put off by the price - not being a snob about this, just realistic. I've played comp games with 30+ handicappers who have no chance of breaking 130 ever
    Last edited by scratchoz; 20th September 2021 at 06:14 PM.

Banned

No offence taken - it's a known fact and even members are frustrated by slow play

The round times have always been an issue and in groups of 4 it averages around 4:15 for 18 holes in comp on the weekend - don't even think about coming for a social game on the weekend, $35 green fees and people writing cheques their golf games can't cash along with trouble on one or both sides off the tee on 8 of the first 9 holes doesn't bode well for a quick day if you're caught behind a group of choppers with no understanding of golf etiquette.

Hopefully social fees will dramatically increase in the near future as the traffic is taking its toll on the course and the volume of players will drop and the first timers will be put off by the price - not being a snob about this, just realistic. I've played comp games with 30+ handicappers who have no chance of breaking 130 ever
    4:15 for 18 in comp on the weekend would have been awesome when I was there. I'm a late morning/afternoon player and groups never got around in under 5 hours most weeks.

Are you predominantly a morning player? I could never understand the delays in the round given tee times were usually on time or only a few minutes late. It seems the delays on the course never seemed to impact on the field getting away on time. Col Bishop runs a very good comp.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    4:15 for 18 in comp on the weekend would have been awesome when I was there. I'm a late morning/afternoon player and groups never got around in under 5 hours most weeks.

Are you predominantly a morning player? I could never understand the delays in the round given tee times were usually on time or only a few minutes late. It seems the delays on the course never seemed to impact on the field getting away on time. Col Bishop runs a very good comp.
    It averages 4:15 - I normally play early mid week and we get around in 3:20-3:35, on the weekends its the same early on and for tee off between 9:30 and 11 it stretches out to 4:45-4:50 and by 12 its back to around 4:15-4:20. There is a problem in the middle of the field which could be as simple as that being the time that slower players tend to play. I know if given the option, I'll try and be on course before 9:30 or I'll take a time after 11:30am

Banned

It averages 4:15 - I normally play early mid week and we get around in 3:20-3:35, on the weekends its the same early on and for tee off between 9:30 and 11 it stretches out to 4:45-4:50 and by 12 its back to around 4:15-4:20. There is a problem in the middle of the field which could be as simple as that being the time that slower players tend to play. I know if given the option, I'll try and be on course before 9:30 or I'll take a time after 11:30am
    Ok cool. Thanks for all the info. It's a great club to play at, it just struggled with round time when I was there. Cheers

Thread Information