Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Perhaps you need to find out what skills your leadership does and doesn't have before you question their ability to run Stonecutters (if the vote ever happens and manages to get the 75% required).

Not being narky, I just think you owe it to them to find out what they have to offer before you question their abilities on a public forum.

We seem to have picked up a few newies through this thread, so it's obviously getting some hits. Empty accusations and claims don't help anyone.
    Scottt, you are absolutely right.
    Golf - so called because every other four letter word was taken
    __________________________________________________ _____

For Ashlar members who have seen the club website, and info regarding the deal, how do you rate the information posted?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Is Troon involve at all with StoneCutters? I read an interesting article with the CEO of Troon recently. He said that here in Australia we don't pay enough for Golf and they were going to try and change that fact.

What a dickhead. He might like to ensure his courses are presented in something resembling decent condition (*cough* Pacific Dunes *cough*) before he launches his crusade to arse rape Aussie golfers.

It won't work.

Member Trainee Pro

Perhaps you need to find out what skills your leadership does and doesn't have before you question their ability to run Stonecutters (if the vote ever happens and manages to get the 75% required).

Not being narky, I just think you owe it to them to find out what they have to offer before you question their abilities on a public forum.

We seem to have picked up a few newies through this thread, so it's obviously getting some hits. Empty accusations and claims don't help anyone.
    Very valid point.

The aim here is certainly not to crucify or hang anyone out to dry. There are alot of positives within the board of Ashlar and in some areas of running the club and course there are no complaints or issues being raised at all. The majority of members I have contact with are of the same view that if we had members on the board who did have a marketing background or alike in the area required to run a successful and profitable golf/sporting club (currently there are no directors of the club with these types of skills or experience) we would not be in the dire financial situation we are in. We have some very successful business owners and members of the legal fraternity within the board and these are people that give up their free personal time in making the club work and this should never be forgotten or unappreciatd. If they can run their own businesses without issue then they obviousy have business acumen. This may however only be in the area of their own business.

The points being made and raised here in this forum are not designed to take away from this fact but merely point out that those people with a financial interest in the club, all of the members, are very much united in the same concern. Does the membership have the full trust in the current leadership as it stands in being able to run a Stonecutters type facility for the betterment and longevity of the club? Myself and the group of members I play and associate with in the club feel as the current leadership stands probably not. With some professional expertise working with them and guiding them in the right direction in managing and marketing of a facility such as Stonecutters then most certainly yes. If this can be acheived then we are certainly out of the realm of a hobby and moving into the ream of a true business.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Is Troon involve at all with StoneCutters? I read an interesting article with the CEO of Troon recently. He said that here in Australia we don't pay enough for Golf and they were going to try and change that fact.
    Grunt.....I believe that Troon was the backup if Ashlar was not interested. Troon approached Medallist to start with but Medallist approached the PGA and they suggested that Ashlar would be a good club to approach in doing something.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Was lucky enough to get out on course with the Project Director yesterday - some pics of the short par 4 7th (330m) and the par 3 6th

From fairway to the 7th green

Back down towards the tee area

The 7th hole from the tiger tee location

Bunkers surrounding 6th green (par 3)

Looking from the tee down the 6th - you can't really see the green - it will be a "hit & hope" deal

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Is there always going to be a giant head blocking the approach to #7?
    Was that the course designers plan?
    Naturally grippy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    Wait until you see the pirate ship on #6 and the Arc de Triomphe on #8.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Blog Entries

Do all new members get a paddlin'?

Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    Yep! I'll place a big cardboard cutout of me on the fairway

Re the new member initiation - you'll have to ask the Ashlar members what happens - I got no clue!

(Oh - and I heard the vote may be happening in Feb)

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    (Oh - and I heard the vote may be happening in Feb)
    Probably March now. The two UPL people the board are dealing with are both on holidays and will not be back on deck till the end of Jan. There is still some finalising required on the contract documents and this could take a week or two to have sorted out. Due to this the club will need to call an general meeting with the 21 days notice to all members by mail. Penciled in very very faint for March

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I'll believe it when it happens.

Question

I'll believe it when it happens.
    I think many members share the same view Scottt.

To some extent, if only they had timelined the steps that had been taken, people may be more understanding of the time its taken to get this far......or maybe that would aggrevate the members more.

Interesting to see if the vote takes place before the course is opened in Mid 2010

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Maybe I should join Stonecutters prior to the Ashlar members, or is it open to residents only ? Or maybe everyone might start filtering over to the new Kellyville instead !

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Maybe I should join Stonecutters prior to the Ashlar members, or is it open to residents only ? Or maybe everyone might start filtering over to the new Kellyville instead !
    There's no guarantee that if or when it goes to vote, that it will get approved by the members. At least that's what talk around the clubhouse is indicating, however there's no numbers to put to the against or for.

As for the new course, Lynwood (Kellyville's replacement), it is a serious threat to Ashlar / Stonecutters. However they too could face similar issues to Ashlar, by only having a small clubhouse, which is limited in its revenue raising (not big enough I believe to host weddings, functions etc..), they will rely on the course to bring in the majority of revenue.

I wonder what other 'local' clubs are concerned with losing members to near by Stonecutters or Lynwood?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I am also waiting for Windsor to do one of these 18 month memberships, I heard that Lynwood was opening July this year I think, so probably Windsor and Richmond would be in the firing line there !

pete - stonecutters ridge will be open to all - not just residents. I have heard that the Ashlar joining fee will shoot up if the vote is a "Yes" for the move.

Not so Big Easy - you're right about other revenue models. Stonecutters Ridge will have a full driving range as well as all the facilities for weddings & corporate events.

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    pete - stonecutters ridge will be open to all - not just residents. I have heard that the Ashlar joining fee will shoot up if the vote is a "Yes" for the move.

Not so Big Easy - you're right about other revenue models. Stonecutters Ridge will have a full driving range as well as all the facilities for weddings & corporate events.
    I think you'll find some clubs are facing tough financial times at the moment, and part of the issue is the fact that don't have another revenue resource, should the golf itself struggle to bring in the dollars for reasons such as weather causing the course to close temporarily.

Fingers cross, Stonecutters will exercise plans to ensure the facilities are well and frequently patronised

Not so Big Easy - if the club can get the food right - that is, reasonably priced but good quality bistro meals - then they shouldn't have a problem attracting people from within the estate.

All land owners get membership to the clubhouse (but not the golf club) - this entitles them to use of all pool, tennis courts and social golf. (You pay extra for membership to the golf club itself and access to comp rounds)

We know some other owners who don't play golf but plan to take it up because it's included - if some of those owners use the driving range every so often, take a group lesson, go for a drink and snack after the round - things have a chance of staying afloat

Latest news is that the Ashlar board has accepted the offer by Medallist and letters have gone out for the membership vote in the near future.

There was a festival out at the estate on Saturday and Ashlar ran the NTP comp.

Festival on the main street

Going on a guided tour of the estate

From the 7th green looking back down towards the tee and 6th hole, display home etc

There seemed to have been plenty of new "SOLD" stickers on lots since our last visit 2 weeks ago and they've released another stage of lots since the first tranche was selling so well.

On our front - our DA is approved - yipee! Just waiting for title registration which is happening in about 4 weeks time.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

There was a snippet in one of today's papers mentioning that Mr G Norman would be visiting the development while he is Australia this week (or next week I suppose).

I expect some close-up pics, or a camera smashed against a tree at the very least.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Jim - saw that article - I think it's next week. I'll have to see if I can get the day off work and try and get out there for a pic

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I expect some close-up pics, or a camera smashed against a tree at the very least.
    onya Jim!
    I'm not young enough to know everything.
    burger-link burger-bag

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I was there when big John did that , was about 2 metres from him (as was my 7 yr old son).

Amanda , Stonecutters looks nice. I can see why you bought that block, its in a top position.
    David
    Last edited by Perky; 5th August 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Perky View Post
    I was there when big John did that , was about 2 metres from him (as was my 7 yr old son).
    David you must have been standing next to me, I was almost as close to it.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Thread Information