Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I did not ask them about cut over dates or anything, was just curious about the cost of membership.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

ill give them a ring
    i want to get a few mates together for one last hurray

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrick View Post
    is Ashlar closing on the same day?
    I was told it will. They have kept the course in great condition even though it's closing soon.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Whatever happened to Amanda Wong?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Dr Wong to you! Brad and Mandy are still living there, they had always planned on playing golf again after the golf course opens, as she has been concentrating on getting her Phd finished last few years.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Ashlar is meant to close on the sunday 26th and then on the 27th stonecutters will open and take over.

Stonecutters is due to open Monday week, the 27th. There is a decent write up in the current edition of Golf Australia. I had the feeling the course was written up as not being too challenging. I hope not. The few holes I walked a while back didn't seem to indicate that but the test will be playing the course. The writer says it's similar to the Vintage. Is that good?

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Is it a links course, or will they be planting some trees ? Note, I only saw it from the freeway, but it reminded me a bit of MacGrange where the balls will run to one side of the fairways ?

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Is it a links course, or will they be planting some trees ? Note, I only saw it from the freeway, but it reminded me a bit of MacGrange where the balls will run to one side of the fairways ?
    That must be good, Mac Grange was on your list of Must plays wasn't it Pete?
    Eag's will love it too.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Member Trainee Pro

delayed 1 to 2 weeks due to council issues with the occupancy certificate.

Hmmm, seems a few delays over this place. Members must be chomping at the bit.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Hmmm, seems a few delays over this place. Members must be chomping at the bit.
    They are! I have friend who lives there and has been gagging to get on. I'm hoping to get out there first open/inviteday they have!!!

Ashlar Golf Club is relocating to Stonecutters Ridge on Friday 31 August 2012.
    Last day to play at Ashlar will be Wednesday 29 August, with both courses closed on Thursday 30 August to allow for relocation to take place

Played in my first comp at Ashlar today. Thought I better have a hit there before it closes. Played with a board member who told me the same re Friday. I plan to be hitting off at some stage on Friday.

I don't think I'll get to play it on the friday so I'll wait till the sunday and play in the 2 man ambrose and then I have some days off during the week coming up so I'll hit it up again

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Anyone know what the A.C.R is for Stonecutters?

No idea Rodent.

Played at the opening day yesterday morning. Second group out after some lifetime members.

Impressions in a nutshell-: forgiving, beautiful looking holes, and really fun to play.

I didn't find any of the tee shots really intimidating. On most par 4's and 5's driver is the preferred option, except on about three holes. If you get in trouble off the tee you deserve it.

The greens have some really good swales and steps and will be brutal when quick. The bunkers look fantastic with large step downs into them.

Good players will rip the course to shreds on a good day. I found the par 5's too short. I have never driven the ball so well but driver, 9 iron on three par 5's ( wind assisted on one and downhill on the other) is not on. I still managed to miss the approach on 2 of them and walked away with par. On the last I 3 putted for a par. Rarely have I been disappointed with pars!

The par 3's are really good with some nice elevation changes. My favourite hole was 12, a par 4. The fairway rises slightly with huge fairway bunkers on the left edge of the crest. I drove 10m to the right of them over the crest. Then it's a shot down to the green which is surrounded by large trees, including a huge one in a bunker. Looks spectacular.

The 60' lob was never used so much. Came in really handy to get it high and land it on elevated greens over bunkers. The lies are perfect for that at the moment. Hope it stays that way!

The crows need to be shot and strung up ASAP. Our group lost a dozen balls. All groups suffered similar amounts. The pro shop and clubhouse are modern and are what they should be. Large pro shop, inviting clubhouse with a balcony overlooking the 18th. It's not that hard to get right when building from scratch ( read Lynwood).

Most of all I was relieved not to be disappointed in the course. I more than happy with the investment to join. I believe the joining fee is now around $4500

For the record I played well and had 5 over with three fat, duffed approaches which led to a double and a couple of bogeys but happy nonetheless. I hit all but about two fairways and drive it the best I ever have. I can always say I held the course record! (it wasn't in comp but don't start, I don't care )

Nothing else to report. Well worth a hit. Took a couple of iPhone photos and will put them up later.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Well done, Matty.

In the end, if you had to choose between fun & hard, surely fun would be the choice everytime.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

900 members with 260 odd spots for saturday comp is going to cause some issues. That's why they pumped the joining fee up so much, to deter people from joining.
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

One of the par 3's.

IMG_0813.jpg

The approach to 12.

IMG_0815.jpg

Par 3, 16th

IMG_0814.jpg

One of the testing greens. Par 4 on the back 9 somewhere.

IMG_0816.jpg

The 19th overlooking the 18th.

The iphone pics don't do the holes justice but gives a bit of an idea.
    Last edited by matty; 2nd September 2012 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    900 members with 260 odd spots for saturday comp is going to cause some issues. That's why they pumped the joining fee up so much, to deter people from joining.
    It will mate. A lot of them wouldn't 7 day members but still. Lucky I don't play much on Saturdays. I think the joining fee will stop new members.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Was the ACR on the scorecard matty? Also, I noticed that on the new website, they have "course renovation" listed for Monday. Are they coring the greens or something else?

What did you think I'd the short 4 in the first photo? This was the first hole finished a few years ago as a "display" so I have seen it often and walked around it a little. Whilst drive able for the longest hitters it seems, but the gay bailout to the right makes the approach look really tough?

Rodent, they were using the old Ashlar cards. I noticed that about the Monday course reno. Don't know what they're doing. Guess I'll find out. Hitting off at 7.

MTB, I went for the water carry in direction of the green on the hole you mention. I think it was about a 250-60 carry. I had a short chip on. I ended up about a meter from the first bunker. The hole isn't too difficult if you hit right, away from water. I didnt really take much notice of an approach from there but doesnt strike me as unreasonable. A couple of the top bunkers in the photo won't come in to play. Like you said its the display/show hole as you drive in.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    This is a very similar ratio to Camden Valley when it changed to Camden Lakeside, and the members will probably see the same thing happen at Stonecutters as happened at Lakeside.

In the first few weeks everybody wanted to play the course just to see what it would be like, then the playing ratio reverted to what it was before. People who normally played Saturdays played that day, same with Sundays, and everything settled down. In the early days, they might find a lot more visitors wanting to play the Open Days.

Which of course begs the question Matty. Are the midweek comps still Tuesday and Thursday? And still Open Comps?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information