Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by happy_golfer View Post
    Agree with you on all counts.
    I guess if the current management of Ashlar are not equipped to run this larger scale operation, then fortunately or unfortunately its up to the members to change the board / management, but that can only open if there are candidates that willing to step up to make a difference, if so required.

But first, the vote has to take place.
    Golf - so called because every other four letter word was taken
    __________________________________________________ _____

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I wonder if the developer (Medallist) has some sort of clause in the deal that requires Ashlar to hire particular staff qualified & with proven track record to run the business.

I know some owners are looking for the place to be "exclusive" - but in my mind, a very private expensive club in this area isn't going to work - unless you manage to attract a lot of high net worth individuals from places like Bella Vista Waters etc - I'd rather have a course that is still running!

I've played at Ashlar a few times and people on the whole seem nice - you're going to get good and bad members everywhere. Of course - we'd like no bogans please

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good luck with that.

I wonder how they will go when social players come to destroy the course . Not many clubs can survive without them in the west.

I'm good at being a bitch - happy to volunteer as course marshall

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Doing the deal in principle is the easy bit. Managing the contracts so you don't get screwed and making the switch work for members is a hell of a lot harder.

I am just about to leave a club in Melbourne that on paper did a reasonable swap deal. In theory the deal shifted them from being an absolute rubbish facility to a good quality (not resort) facility free of neighbour issues and with a nice cash pool of $1.5m. Through a lack of management/board skill they have made a meal of it in so many ways. They didn't manage the contracts well and got delivered a course that was not everything they bargained for. They failed to truly appreciate what the new course would cost to run, what the local demographics were and what that meant for how much they could take from members, green players and the F&B operations. And to cap it off the first GM did a huge amount of turnover on functions which were priced with no gross margin or in some cases even less than that. Less than 3 years after moving only $0.25m of the cash is left, they have just bunged on a levy to fix problems on the course and I would think they will be losing something like 15% of the members when the club year ends on 31 August.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I'll be at Stonecutters next saturday, i'll take some pics.
    Umm,. I forgot to take the pics.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I had a chance to walk a few holes with some other members from Ashlar on Sat morning. The course looks fantastic albeit a little brown but has good grass cover on the completed holes we saw.. The greens look fabulous. Some are so big they need their own postcode.

Hey happy golfer - were you in the morning group around 9am-ish? Hubby opened the garage door to find a whole lot of people on the footpath - they looked shocked to seem him!

We've had some terrible frost - looked great in the pictures at the time - but everyone's lawns are suffering now

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    Hey happy golfer - were you in the morning group around 9am-ish? Hubby opened the garage door to find a whole lot of people on the footpath - they looked shocked to seem him!

We've had some terrible frost - looked great in the pictures at the time - but everyone's lawns are suffering now
    I was in that group, I do not recall a gaeage opening though, was probably too busy checking out the course.

I've heard the result of the vote was an overwhelming yes

Hey Richard - thanks for the info! So they're turning the 1st & 18th into houses? Glad we didn't wait for that land to open up to build a house - we'd still be waiting. (Though I'm sure you'll do a fab job on the course!)

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Still deciding on the line between residential and golf but the first 4 or 5 fairways at the top of the hill will go.
    New Brighton is probably worth its own thread, but if I understand this comment correctly, you'd better be good at flood mitigation works Dicky.

The holes on the flat at New Brighton are among the most flood-prone golfing lands in Sydney, and building houses on the hill might make it even worse. Mind you, I won't miss the climb up the 18th if that disappears.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

hi amanda, a massive yes ... they were hoping for maybe 200 to turn to the meeting and got 378, of those 358 said yes, 17 said no, and 3 abstained. Not sure why you would turn up and not vote but hey each to their own. So now anxiously waiting the outcome of the Macquarie Board to give the final tick of approval on their side. Not sure when they meet, we were told we should know aound end of the month (Aug).

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    I've heard the result of the vote was an overwhelming yes
    hi amanda, a massive yes ... they were hoping for maybe 200 to turn to the meeting and got 378, of those 358 said yes, 17 said no, and 3 abstained. Not sure why you would turn up and not vote but hey each to their own. So now anxiously waiting the outcome of the Macquarie Board to give the final tick of approval on their side. Not sure when they meet, we were told we should know aound end of the month (Aug).

Does anyone know how the progress is going with the Stonecutters Ridge course and when it is due to open?

The course is looking good. From the M7 at least!

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    The houses will all be built above the 100 year flood line...nobody give a rats if the course goes under every couple of years.
    That's the spirit!

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Does anyone know how the progress is going with the Stonecutters Ridge course and when it is due to open?

The course is looking good. From the M7 at least!
    From what I have heard not until Sep 1st 2011. Is the current date that they seem to be throwing around at the moment.

Thanks

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

the reason that seems to be the date as thats when ashlar's membership starts and I think they want the new clubhouse built first before they move in. The course its self I think is pretty much 95% complete they are pretty much I think killing time allowing it to all take and get the contracts and everything else in order.

After watching the course and surrounds develop over the last year I made the switch and joined Stonecutters (Ashlar) today. Had a walk around a few holes a couple of weeks back and I can't wait to play.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Matty

Is Stonecutters now a full 18?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

It's always been 18holes but they are waiting on the buildings and surrounds to be finished first. Moving end of august

Opening 27th August apparently. The joining fee will more than double in two weeks so I jumped.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Yes called Ashlar up today. From 1st July joining fee is going to $3000 with the annual subs around $1450. Currently the joining fee is $1500 until the 1st July

is Ashlar closing on the same day?

Thread Information