Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Member Monthly medal winner

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Thats the one scott.
    But our hole numbering is different.
    We built two new par 3's out there, the 3rd and 5th on the master plan...this new par 4 is the 4th.
    You walk thru the back of the downhill par 3, behind the pond to some new tees stuck in the corner. The hole was grassed last week and looks great.
    Should be good as it will break up the three par 3's [ 3rd, 4th, 5th] they have at present.

They had a go at building that new 4th using the existing green a few years ago but they had a problem with the greenies or something.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by amanda View Post
    Those Ashlar members would be getting a good deal - they sold the land based on each block getting a membership to the GC without having to pay the $30k joining fee.

Plus - the clubhouse & all other facilities (swimming pools, tennis courts, gym, creche) will be to Medallist standards.

Hopefully - whatever factors that have caused Ashlar to be in such bad shape won't be brought to Stonecutters Ridge. Let's hope it's not bad mgmt ...
    May be that is one way to get a cheap membership to Stonecutters Ridge.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    May be that is one way to get a cheap membership to Stonecutters Ridge.
    Great minds think alike TS
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Member Trainee Pro

Those Ashlar members would be getting a good deal - they sold the land based on each block getting a membership to the GC without having to pay the $30k joining fee.

Plus - the clubhouse & all other facilities (swimming pools, tennis courts, gym, creche) will be to Medallist standards.

Hopefully - whatever factors that have caused Ashlar to be in such bad shape won't be brought to Stonecutters Ridge. Let's hope it's not bad mgmt ...
    I for one hope it goes through the member vote. Picking up all of these facilities without the need to pay the joining fee will be a very big bonus.

Don't think it is bad management from the present administration I think its too many decsions from the heart and not enough from the head from previos board members and management staff. I hope that the current team can really do good things here.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

excuse my ignorance, but where the **** is stonecutters ridge?

goughy

Isn't it near moe's tavern, in an abandoned pancake palace or something?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Scottt - it's the new Greg Norman course being built in north-western Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendHacker
    I for one hope it goes through the member vote. Picking up all of these facilities without the need to pay the joining fee will be a very big bonus.

Don't think it is bad management from the present administration I think its too many decsions from the heart and not enough from the head from previos board members and management staff. I hope that the current team can really do good things here.
    WH - do you know if Ashlar mgmt & Board would go over to Stonecutters as well?

the one at Pitt Town?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    the one at Pitt Town?
    Not that far out Scottt, near Schofields
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Not that far out Scottt, near Schofields
    ah, of course. I recall that one. It was announced just before I left the area.

Member Trainee Pro

Scottt - it's the new Greg Norman course being built in north-western Sydney.

WH - do you know if Ashlar mgmt & Board would go over to Stonecutters as well?
    Yes they will be. Apparently Urban Pacific Limited and Medallist Developments do not want to manage the course and its facilities and in choosing to do a swap with Ashlar they will also pick up the management of a current golf course in the same local area. Talk is also on the cards for taking the Ashlar name there as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendHacker View Post
    Yes they will be. Apparently Urban Pacific Limited and Medallist Developments do not want to manage the course and its facilities and in choosing to do a swap with Ashlar they will also pick up the management of a current golf course in the same local area. Talk is also on the cards for taking the Ashlar name there as well.
    Do you know the other course?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Member Trainee Pro

Do you know the other course?
    Other course?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendHacker View Post
    This one.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Member Trainee Pro

This one.
    There is no other course.

I meant here that by UPL and Medallist doing a swap for the land Ashlar is on with the new Stonecutters Ridge course and facilities, they also get the management of Ashlar to run the new course.

Blog Entries

oh ok, I thought it meant there was another course that Medallist had taken over and were passing on to Ashlar as part of the deal.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

http://www.blacktownadvocate.com.au/...2139_news.html

The local paper has a few details this week.

Thanks Scottt!

Blog Entries

The comments from the GM seem way different from the impression he gave when he was talking to the members I played with last week. He said that they were surveying the course and working out how many house etc. they could put on the site. There are areas of Ashlar that cant be built on, eg.floodplain, that he said they were going to have to take into account. He seemed very much like it was way more advanced than what the article said.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Member Trainee Pro

I think this is the issue that us members have at the moment. This is way more advanced that we are being led to believe and it does not help that we all know this but the board are not sharing exactly where it is up to.

Blog Entries

Got to think that the members of Ashlar will be the winners out of it all, if it gets through. The GM basically said if it did not the club would fail.
    A member told me that the deal has the membership fees fixed for a set period for current members but would be different for new members, that creates a problem in itself. To top it off you will have the landowners that thought they were getting an exclusive club. Could create some tension indeed.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by Weekend Hacker
    I think this is the issue that us members have at the moment. This is way more advanced that we are being led to believe and it does not help that we all know this but the board are not sharing exactly where it is up to.

We went through a similar process at New Brighton when they were thinking of selling some of the holes (1, 18, 9) to Mirvac for redevelopment. Mirvac came in and surveyed the place & determined lot placement as part of their due diligence to see if it was worthwhile. That plan didn't go ahead as the money offered wasn't enough (from memory) and a lack of information meant that most members were very sceptical about what the board was telling us.

WH - is the club financially viable at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    A member told me that the deal has the membership fees fixed for a set period for current members but would be different for new members, that creates a problem in itself. To top it off you will have the landowners that thought they were getting an exclusive club. Could create some tension indeed.
    I'd say tension would be an understatement At current Ashlar rates, we should get 27 yr exepmtion on fees

The most likely outcome I see is that once the fixed membership fee period expires and then fees suddenly jump to the public price (I would expect somewhere around the $2000 level) - you'll see a whole lot of members exiting the club for places like Dunheved which are more reasonably priced.

This also depends on how many residents buy a membership to the cluhouse facilities (pool, tennis courts, gym) - if not many take it up - fees will go up even further.
    Last edited by amanda; 18th April 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Amanda. The fee would more likely be around $3K, that is what Macquarie Link & Twin Creek are charging.

Geez - lucky Brad's still on the waiting list at NSWGC

Member Trainee Pro

WH - is the club financially viable at the moment?
    The club lost some 80 - 100 members last year. This meant a hit in funds of between $80,000 - $100,000 straight away from membership fees alone. Add to that the $100.00 per head bar tab and what these members may spend in the club and pro shop and you start to see a substantial loss in income. The club is viable at present but if it cannot boost membership in the next 12 months it may be a different story. They are currently offering 18 months for the price of 12 to get new members in but I don't think it is having too much of an impact.

Thread Information