Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default AndyP v BrisVegas - it feels like a Grand Final

AndyP v BrisVegas - played Sunday Feb 10 at Gailes GC. (Wynnum Cup flooded)

10 hcap v 8 hcap.

POTY #2 v #1.

(01) BrisVegas $303,500 16 Q 2
    (02) AndyP $262,333 36 Q 1

It's the most prolific ozgolfer, admin for the site and all around top bloke AndeePee versus the sneaky last gasp winner of everything in 2008.

AndyP's running hot after his usual Christmas sunny coast golf festival and is now playing off his lowest handicap ever. He even bought some new clubs this year.

Vegas is in a 12 month slump (ozgolf champs excepted ) of poor form and has drifted to his highest handicap in 15 years.

Geez, talk about a tough draw in the first round! Whatever happened to the matchplay winner getting a bye in the first round???

Could this be the first time ever that the reigning champ doesn't get past the first round?

And more importantly, if Vegas bows out early, who else can stop the juggernaught?
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 5th February 2008 at 02:44 PM.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Banned

yup congrats vegas

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congrats to Dion.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Congrats Vegas ....

.. i was barracking for the Pee fella though
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Thanks for the game AndyP. It was certanly an interesting match. After halving the first hole, there were 11 holes straight with results. AnydP wasted his shot on the 8th when he birdied to my par, but then I birdied back on 9 and won a couple more in a row. I chipped in for an unexpected half on the 15th to stay 1 up and then made a half with my second ball on the 16th (Some local feral kids screamed out during my backswing and I hit my tee shot OOB. ) I made a safe par on the 17th and AndyP had some tree troubles and that was that. I chipped in again on 18 for an eagle too. Can't remember the last time I had two chip-ins in a round.

Thanks again for the game, it was played in good spirits.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Well done BV, commiserations AP.

Look forward to the blow by blow description.

BV, Does March 9 at Wynnum look good for our date with destiny?
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    it was played in good spirits.
    Was that rum? Or wasn't eag's there?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

gee, wish i could play my match without having to play the bunkers.

congrats BV

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Well played Dion, it was quite a close match with nobody really getting to far ahead. A couple of crucial saves from Dion at the right time and some very solid golf on the back 9. AP had a few chances to peg Dion back but his short game let him down a bit.It was fun today guys thanks for the hit

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Congrats D..see you in the final.
    So are you going to give up your first round bye and play Chopps??

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Congrats D..see you in the final.

lock it in Eddie.

golflink WITB

goughy

'it feels like a grand final'

Seems kind of anti-climatic to me!

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Well Played Dion. Even the OOB tee shot was a ripper, well timed scream by the feral on the bike. The chip ins were pretty special too!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by BrisWesty View Post
    BV, Does March 9 at Wynnum look good for our date with destiny?
    Yeah, might as well. That's my next game, as I'm away for a couple of weekends now. See you there mate.

golflink WITB

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's the hole-by-hole for today's game. Not too much in the way of spectacular golf, but it was a good tight match.

(Bunkers were GUR for the day, so we always got a drop out of them, which was usually into thick grass that the ball sat down in)

1st - par 5
    Despite both of us having a wedge in our hands for the approach, neither hit the green and neither get up and down. Ordinary bogeys each and a half.

2nd - par 5
    I plod my way down the centre, while BV hooks left into the trees, gets about 30m on his next shot through the crap, then hits a glorious shot to about 5m. I didn't even know he had a line to the green. I just miss the green with my shot and can't get up and down. BV 1up with his par.

3rd - par 3
    BV shanks right, while I find the right bunker. Shanking is never easy to recover from and my boge is enough for the win. All square.

4th - short par 4
    3 wood down the centre for me. BV hooks OB left with his first ball, and only just stays in with his second. My par wins. AP 1up.

5th - par 4
    BV plays a solid hole, while I make it a long one for myself, going right, then left. Par wins. All square.

6th - par 3
    BV finds the left bunkers, while I flush my 4I to a few metres short of the pin. I miss the birdie putt, but the par is enough to win a hole again. AP 1up.

7th - par 4
    Both of us hit good drives down the guts. I hit into the short right bunker, BV finds the left of the green. Despite a nice chip in from myself, BV's par wins the hole. All square.

8th - par 4
    Hoozah, I get a shot. Our tee shots are only a few metres apart, although I outdrove him (against his 3W?). BV puts his just off the right edge of the green, I hit a nice one into the green. BV doesn't sink the putt off the fringe he needs, while I drain my bird putt (what a waste ). AP 1up.

9th - par 5
    BV answers straight back with an up and down birdie. All square at the halfway mark.

10th - par 4
    BV starts the back 9 with a solid par, I start with a messy double. BV 1up.

11th - par 4.
    See 10th. BV 2up.

12th - par 3.
    Another shot comes my way. BV finds the green pin high, while I disappoint myself by missing the green. Despite another nice chip and threatening to par, BV's regulation par is enough to halve. BV 1up.

13th - par 4.
    BV hits a great drive and just misses left of the green. I hit an average drive, and then pull well left of the green. I hit a great lobby pitch into the green to give myself a chance, especially after BV chips to outside mine and misses the putt. Another missed putt, and BV has the biggest lead of the match. BV 2up.

14th - par 4.
    Two great drives down the fairway. I find the front of the green, BV hits a crappy wedge shot right and long. BV can't get up and down, and my 2 putt, which I make hard work of, gets me back in the game from out of nowhere. BV 1up.

15th - long par 4.
    I hit my drive into the right rough, which doesn't concern me considering I never go for this green in two. BV heads into the right trees, then hits more trees, and then some more to get out short of the short trap for 3, where I am for 2. BV still can't get on the green with his 4th, and I hit a half shank pitch onto the right of the green. BV proceeds to chip in for a 5, and put the pressure back on me. I go after the longish putt and miss to the high side and go long. I get the testy putt back to halve, but it's BV who has saved this hole. BV 1up.

16th - par 4.
    Once again I find the right rough. BV is looking to go long with the driver, but a bogan local kid on a bike (who I owe $10) calls out during his backswing and the ball hooks OOB. His second attempt is loooong. I keep myself out of danger by leaving myself just short of the green (but in the longer grass), then BV hits a great approach pin-high but leaving a tricky putt. I mess up my all important greenside chip by pumping it too long, then leave the putt down the hill too high. BV drains the putt of course for another fantastic save (and demoralising me a bit). BV 1up.

17th - short par 4.
    I put a tired 3W right, while BV plays safely down the middle. BV then puts his on the green piling the pressure on me. Unfortunately I have no shot at the green being behind a tree, and opt to hit a low punch 4I under the tree, over the kangaroos and into the greenside bunkers knowing I'll get a drop. The resulting shank still leaves me behind trees. Knowing that I have to go for it, I open the face and go at the green hoping for the 90% air, 10% tree theory to come through. It works and I give myself a putt, but still just outside BV on the same line. My putt looks good for a miraculous par but misses to the highside again (turn mother****er turn). BV turns plenty but his two putt par is enough to wrap up the win 2 and 1.

It was a good game, with plenty of pressure around the greens. In the end, Dion was better with the putter (or wedge) than I was, and deserved his win. Good luck in the next round against the choker.

And AP signs off with a well timed sledge
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

westy - are you wearing that big hat to wynnum?

(just want to know whether i need to bring an umbrella )

golflink WITB

Not sure if there's room for both of us under there, but for you I'll make an exception (even though you'll have to walk along on your knees).
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

Well done Vegas!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad luck AP I would have smacked him with those chip ins. Shouldn't be allowed in matchplay - unless I do them.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

ahhh the memories. Let's do that again (in my best Donkey voice) !

golflink WITB

Thread Information