Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default The Lakes (Sydney) to be re designed

Had a lesson out at the Lakes the other day and the Pro was telling us that Mike Clayton, after having rebuilt the 18th, has been given the job to redo the balance of the course. The aim as I recall was for all works to be done over a 12-18 months period closing 9 holes at once then swapping over.

Given that the Lakes could be criticised for being half a great course, and given just how good the 18th now looks, it should be interesting to see what the results are in the next couple of years.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Unfortunately, The Lakes has been an ‘easy slut’ for the last 30 years. In other words, everyone has had a go at her. Hopefully Clayts will make an honest woman out of her.

I was of the belief that he had the entire job when he started the 18th. I heard that from an extremely reliable source, but maybe he was being tested.

I would like to think he could do something special, but that stuff over the road is extremely dull & will be a challenge to God himself.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Agreed about the "over the road" stuff.

We have lessons from Richard Flood who has The Lakes head Pro for many a year and still teaches out of the club (Craig Parry's long time coach). He is something of a piece of furiture about the place. Richard talked us through it the Clayton plan.

I tell you one thing the clubhouse redevelopment has not been a favourite of the members.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

They seem to have made more consistently bad decisions than any club I know. Whether it’s clubhouse, course, membership structure or green staff. I’m not really sure why this is.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Miro, that sounds like good news. With a bit of luck the Lakes might end up almost as good as Portsea!

I heard they were digging up mounds and finding tree stumps underneath, TWP at its best!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

whats with the tree stumps?

I have played there quite a few times and i love it. The front nine is what it is. What else can be done to it without massive excavation and earthworks. I dont think you can do much about it.

But the back 9 is awesome. havent played the new 18th yet, but the old green was ridiculus!!!!

Favourite holes
    1, 11, 14, 16, 17

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Something for the termites to eat?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thread Information