Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Default Membership in brisbane

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a club to join as a member so I can start playing more regularly and get myself a handicap.

I am on the southside of Brisbane at Sunnybank hills. I want to make sure I get myself into a decent course. Can't play saturdays so anywhere with a 6 day or intermediate membership at a decent price would be good. I also want to be at a course that has managed to remain in pretty decent condition throughout the drought.

My closest club would be oxley however most people have said it's been struggling pretty badly. I must admit last time I played there last year it certainly was not as good as other courses. My uncle recommended carbrook, however it is probably a little far away. Pacific looks like a good option, and also Gailes. Brisbane would also be a good choice however the nomination fees are probably out of my budget for a few months. Any clubs however that play comps on Fridays would be great as It's my day off.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Kris

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Nudgee is good,yeah you are right Oxley sux....overpriced for what you get.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Gailes would be a good option if it's relatively close to you ... i think i'd prefer to be a member there rather than at Pacific
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    Gailes would be a good option if it's relatively close to you ... i think i'd prefer to be a member there rather than at Pacific

I am still yet to have a game at Gailes but I will probably head over there in the next week and check it out. It seems to be getting some really good reviews.

Pacific I was turned off by a little because of them having so many members, however I do quite like their layout. The greens always seem to be pretty good.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What are you looking for in membership, kristofor? A regular game at the same club week in, week out? Or do you just want a handicap and the option of playing different golf courses all the time.

If the former, Gailes would probably be good for you. Most of us don't seem to have issues with it. If I was looking for a full membership, that would probably be my first stop.

If the latter, you'll find that several of us on the forum have $140 Mega memberships at Robina Woods, where our handicaps are maintained, and we rely on open comps around Brisbane all the time. There are many open comps in the greater area and are good if you aren't too fussy about the time of the comp. Check this thread out for open comps: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=473
    Plenty on Fridays and Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    What are you looking for in membership, kristofor? A regular game at the same club week in, week out? Or do you just want a handicap and the option of playing different golf courses all the time.

If the former, Gailes would probably be good for you. Most of us don't seem to have issues with it. If I was looking for a full membership, that would probably be my first stop.

If the latter, you'll find that several of us on the forum have $140 Mega memberships at Robina Woods, where our handicaps are maintained, and we rely on open comps around Brisbane all the time. There are many open comps in the greater area and are good if you aren't too fussy about the time of the comp. Check this thread out for open comps: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=473
    Plenty on Fridays and Sundays.
    Basically I am looking to get my handicap. I have a few friends I play with a fair bit and have struggled to convince them to join a club but they might also be keen on the Mega Membership. I hadn't really thought about that option before today. However that sounds like a pretty good deal.

I didn't realise there were so many comps on friday's and Sunday's. Sounds like the Mega Membership will be pretty good for me.

goughy

If you can't get golf on saturdays, then the mega's would be great. Opens the doors to get onto plenty of courses at their open day prices.

Just look and andyp's golflink rounds for the last year or 2. Tons of games all on open days.

Mega Membership is fine if you already have a handicap but as you need one, it is going to be a fairly expensive way of getting a handicap. Minimum of 3 rounds to be played there.

I'd suggest joining the one at Logan, that should include 3 free games of golf there. then the following year join the colonial/robina one if it really tickles your fancy.

its called Golfers Plus, you can get it from them, or direct at Logan GC
    http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1673
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Kristo, Ring me tomorrow on 3299 6467 after 9am in the office at Logan City GC.
    Golflink

Dr : X460
    Fw : 904F 15deg and 19deg
    Ir : Mizuno MP30's
    Wg : Vokeys
    Pt : Ping Craz-E

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Mega Membership is fine if you already have a handicap but as you need one, it is going to be a fairly expensive way of getting a handicap. Minimum of 3 rounds to be played there.
    This is wrong. They would like you to play 3 rounds there, but you don't have to. Nuttedit got his handicap last week playing only one game there. The rest were social games anywhere.

Shame on Robina/Colonial for debauchering the AGU handicap rules then
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    This is wrong. They would like you to play 3 rounds there, but you don't have to. Nuttedit got his handicap last week playing only one game there. The rest were social games anywhere.
    If thats the case then I think the Mega Membership will be the go.

Actually Blakey, Logan's Golfers Plus pack includes three free games here. Whether you use them or not is up to you. But they are FOC and an easy way to get your handicap on an easy course.
    Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by phoeno View Post
    Actually Blakey, Logan's Golfers Plus pack includes three free games here. .
    Thats what i said. and why I recommended it.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Actually Blakey, Logan's Golfers Plus pack includes three free games here. Whether you use them or not is up to you. But they are FOC and an easy way to get your handicap on an easy course.
    The application form indicated that the cards had to be turned in at the same point as the registration... is that the case? would this mean that for the logan one you couldn't use the free games for handicap purposes because you already had gotten enough cards for handicap??

You can hand in your cards from anywhere to get your handicap. We had a guy last month hand in 3 from Wantima. All of them over 120 !

Use your free games when ever you like during the year.
    Golflink

You can hand in your cards from anywhere to get your handicap.
    I would assume you would need a agu member to sign as the marker and list there golflink.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Dont need to be in Comp Pete. Just have to be signed by an AGU member. I think you cant get a full AGU handicap until you have put 5 cards in total and have 3 at your home club. You may be able to get a home club handicap with only 3 cards though.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Definitely I would need to get them signed by an agu member. Hopefully I can find enough people to go around with me 5 times. I know I have a round up at Hyatt regency coolum, so that's one card. Then will just need to find people to go round with for the other 4.

goughy

While many of the games organised here are during comp rounds, there will be some social ones. And on some of the open days they'll let a social player play in a group with 3 in the comp.

Actually, if you've joined a club and are handing in handicap cards, you should be able to play in any of the open comps. You just aren't eligible to win prizes etc.

So have a look in the 1st tee and you should have no problems joining in with a game!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Anyone know roughly what the various Brisbane clubs are charging for membership these days? ie. Gailes, Oxley, Nudgee, Pacific, Keperra, Virginia, Redcliffe etc... the middle of the road ones, not the fancy schmancy ones like RQ, Indro and Brisbane.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

When I left Oxley about 3 yrs ago they were charging nearly $1100 a year for a full member = ripoff.

most of the prices are on the websites I think.

Pacific was just over 1000, for 2007 so I assume similar for 2008.

Oxley is $1150.

Nudgee is about $750.

Virginia is $940.

Carbrook is around $870.

Not so sure on the others.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Thanks guys. Nudgee is cheap still! It was $600 10 years ago. Can't believe Oxley charges $1150.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Oxley is way too expensive considering the quality of the course through the drought.

Thread Information