Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default 2008 Victorian Matchplay

The Draw:

Round 1:
    Flowergirl v Chappy
    Kev v V205
    Swanny v Bruce
    Andigold v Johnny Boy

Round 2:
    Chappy vs V205
    Swanny vs Johnny Boy

Final
    Swanny vs V205
    Last edited by Toolish; 31st October 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Member Teaching Pro

Thanks again to Chappy for the opportunity to play at Southern.

Kev did hit some spectacular bomb drives.

The fairways were superb which helped me hit 3 out of 3 decent fairway wood shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyongyang View Post
    Its been a long time since Ive seen a guy shoot 102 and yet hit 300m drives!

How was the course guys? Are the fairways as good as I heard they are?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    So what is the new Flowermobile?
    Mitsubishi Outlander. I like em.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

It was a pleasure hosting you people at Southern, unfortunately for FG it seems that her and I are always drawn to play each other and it always seems to be at Southern.
    If we play each other next year, I will play you wherever you like.

Luckily the next round will be at Spring Valley.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Its been a long time since Ive seen a guy shoot 102 and yet hit 300m drives!

How was the course guys? Are the fairways as good as I heard they are?
    Firstly - thanks Chappy for organising the teetimes. Had a wonderful day and the company was great.

Pyongyang - it says a lot about my short game - i.e non existent . The fairways are sweet. Excellent to hit off of. Greens are good too, just a bit faster than I'm used to though.

I'll put up a summary of Vinces' and my play later this evening - I just lost what I typed in due to timeout....

Member Club Pro

I'm disgusted that Andy cracked the ton.

I've read his disgust for Southern at another forum, yet the place broke him down on a perfect day for golf.

What happened Andy G?
    Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    That's why you get so many allowances... You are left handed AND fat.

1st hole - Vince 1 up
    2nd through 4th - halved, with Vince having a lovely up and down on the 3rd (the guy had an excellent short game)
    5th through 7th - Vince takes the holes to go 4 up
    8th - I get one back
    9th - halved thanks to the fact I get a shot on this hole
    So at the turn Vince is 3 up
    10th - I get another one, due to Vince feeling sorry for me and playing bunker to bunker either side of the green
    11th - Vince goes 3 up - a great 3rd shot from him splits the bunkers guarding either side of the front of the green
    12th and 13th - halved - 4 puts by Vince on the 12th saves me from losing another one!
    14th - I get this one due to having a stroke
    15th - Vince goes 3 up again - a lost ball costing me dearly
    I'm really sweating now, 3 down and 3 to go
    16th - I push mine right and Vince puts his safe at the front of the green, I basically need to chip it in from about 15 to 20m to have any chance - Missed by about 8 inches and then 2 putt. Vince makes an easy par, and that was all she wrote.

Well done Vince, great game

I certainly learned something from watching him yesterday. Hopefully I can carry it into the next game...

Pictures to come soon.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I better do my summary. My memory of holes is pretty poor though . I live in the moment like Dr Bob says I should.

My slow starts cost me dearly again. Still muttering under my breath that I have to give him 5 shots we teed off in warm conditions with a mild breeze. Swanny has a shot on the first (we used the stroke index) and promptly opens with a par. Shit! Another par on the second for Swanny and I'm 2 down. Double shit! Then I make a complete hash of the par 3 3rd (with a 4 putt)and I'm 3 down after 3.

Swanny has 9 points after 3 holes and I have 3.

I finally start to come good and manage to halve the next 2 holes and finally win won back when Swanny 3 putts on the 6th. Bruce 2 down.

Still cursing from letting me get one back he tugs his drive pretty badly on the par 5 7th and burns a couple getting out. I chunk my wedge for my third and then chip on for 4. Tony then brings out his secret weapon. A visious attack bee that spends it's time alternating between dive bombing my putter face and ball with lunging at my face. I can't shut out the distraction of a bee bouncing off my nose and 4 putt again. Back to 3 down.

I put my head down and come up with a par on 8 that Swanny can't match after putting his drive into a water hazard I couldn't remember and none of us could see. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

9 has be giving him another shot. I bomb a good drive which has Tony shooting at the green first and breaks my heart by sticking it to about 8 feet. The pressure of having to hole my second is too much and I push my wedge off to the right (again) . Swanny comfortably makes par and turns 3 up. (and 21 points to my 12)

We half the 10th and I win the 11th with a par that takes my career sand saves to 5 . 2 down. (or was it the other way round - it was a while ago)

Long on the 12th is far worse than short. Guess which one I chose in comparison to Swanny and then leaving my bunker shot on the top tier when the flag was on the bottom. Swanny makes the up and down for par and I'm 3 down and having to give a shot on the next 2 holes. This could be ugly.

Swanny tugs his drive on 13 and has to take an unplayable from his ball resting against a big ole tree. That shot lost helps me halve the hole as Swanny watches his bogey putt slide by.

14 I smash my best drive of the day well over the rise and down the hill. Swanny struggles a bit and put the acid on by hitting my first GIR for the day. Take that! A 2 putt par and I'm back to 2 down.

The dogleg 15th and I don't quite get my line right to just run through the fairway. Swanny takes the 3W trying to play safe and blocks it badly. The heat may be starting to take its' toll. He recovers pretty well to be over the left edge of the green while I knock a good pitching wedge to 10 ft. He makes the up and down for par and my birdie putt wobbles over about 4 lines before missing. Crap! 2 down with 3 to play.

It is at this point that I should point out my tendency to pump my tee shot OOB at ever opportunity. (eg. 2 and 5) and so the 16th into the corner of the property has me thinking of purple elephants. I try really hard to yank my 9I OOB here too and Swanny hits the green. Miracle required here. No miracle forthcoming. A simple par for Swanny and it is all over 3 and 2. (Swanny finishes with 40 points to my 30)

I just got jumped at the start and never got back close enough to catch him.

Well played mate. Why is it everyone I plays shoots a net 60-something. Toolish did it to me with a nett 66 at 13th beach and now Swanny with a nett 68. I will again offer my services for anyone in their club champs who needs a guaranteed boost to their scoring.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I'm disgusted that Andy cracked the ton.

I've read his disgust for Southern at another forum, yet the place broke him down on a perfect day for golf.

What happened Andy G?
    Odd post mate. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not treat you as a troll just yet.

If you were disgusted with my scoring how do you think I felt!! I hit the ball well tee to green but was slaughtered on and around the greens, I didn't keep any actual stats but I did put a little mark on the card when I 3 putted & I had 11 little marks on the card by the end. I think I ended the day with something like 47 putts. I struggled to stick a chip all day & on one memorable hole (3rd) I fatted to the front of the green, chipped over the back and chipped over again, yet each chip had landed exactly where I wanted it to. I then 3 putted from the front of the green. I ended up standing over putts with no idea of hard to hit the ball, all confidence shot.

I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about my disgust with Southern as I've always maintained (on 2 other forums) that it is a pleasant course with a friendly membership. It ended up in my final 3 when I was looking to join a course in the area. The only negative comments I can ever remember making were to a Southern member who constantly claimed the course was in the top tier in Melbourne, something I disputed. I enjoy the golf at Southern there is a nice variety of holes and the course is very well presented. The use of containment mounds however slips almost into the obssesive and the course has way too many bunkers that serve no strategic purpose for me. Still it is a fun place to play and a good test of golf. it was once described to me (very accurately, I thought) as a very good country course, just built in the city. How you distill those opinions to disgust is beyond me.

I often laugh when course comparisons are drawn and the bashing of layouts and designs ensues. I don't think this occurs here to a large degree, but it has been and is rife on other sites.

I enjoy all tracks, with some being more enjoyable than others and honestly feel a little fortunate to get out and play as often as I do, with a young family.

My reasons to join Southern after 11 years at Kingswood were purely personal as I now get the opportunity to play with my dad almost every week and he wont be here forever so I relish each round. I am proud of the course condition and believe that by and large they have some of the best greens going around, as for the member base well there are dickheads everywhere and if the guys who are members of the top tier courses in Melbourne don't believe that there are dickheads at their clubs well they are kidding themselves. All courses have imbecile members some just have more wealthy ones.

Truth be known, if I could have my choice, I'd join Metropolitan tomorrow, but just don't have the connections or the brass for the joining fee.

Anyway I look forward to the next round of golf at Spring Valley as I enjoy playing there a lot.

Chappy
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by andigold View Post
    Odd post mate. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not treat you as a troll just yet.

If you were disgusted with my scoring how do you think I felt!! I hit the ball well tee to green but was slaughtered on and around the greens, I didn't keep any actual stats but I did put a little mark on the card when I 3 putted & I had 11 little marks on the card by the end. I think I ended the day with something like 47 putts. I struggled to stick a chip all day & on one memorable hole (3rd) I fatted to the front of the green, chipped over the back and chipped over again, yet each chip had landed exactly where I wanted it to. I then 3 putted from the front of the green. I ended up standing over putts with no idea of hard to hit the ball, all confidence shot.

I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about my disgust with Southern as I've always maintained (on 2 other forums) that it is a pleasant course with a friendly membership. It ended up in my final 3 when I was looking to join a course in the area. The only negative comments I can ever remember making were to a Southern member who constantly claimed the course was in the top tier in Melbourne, something I disputed. I enjoy the golf at Southern there is a nice variety of holes and the course is very well presented. The use of containment mounds however slips almost into the obssesive and the course has way too many bunkers that serve no strategic purpose for me. Still it is a fun place to play and a good test of golf. it was once described to me (very accurately, I thought) as a very good country course, just built in the city. How you distill those opinions to disgust is beyond me.
    Just stirring Andy.

47 putts is a killer....wow. Are the greens a different speed than SV?
    Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    That's why you get so many allowances... You are left handed AND fat.

Just stirring Andy.

Yeah they were very fast early on and then seemed to fur up & slow as we went around, As much as I might want to I can't blame the greens though, I was the one holding the flat stick.

When I picked Andi up before the match on Sunday I was reminiscing about the last time I played his home course Spring Valley I had my best putting performance ever 24 putts and Andi has to go and get crucified by the greens at Southern.

In his defense they can be particularly brutal if you are not used to them and the pace of the greens did vary from back to front. This is not a regular thing, green consistency is something you can generally rely on.
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Some photos here. Just waiting for FG to supply some more.

I have received the below email from the GM at Spring Valley so we are on for the 30th March.

Andrew, permission has been granted for you to bring 7 guests on Sunday 30th March 2008. Green fees will be payable at the normal member guest rate. I have reserved you 8 time slots at 12.03pm & 12.11pm.

Regards
    Rob

Robert J Sim
    General Manager
    Spring Valley Golf Club
    Heatherton Road
    Clayton South Victoria 3169
    Australia
    Tel: + 61 3 9562 3811
    Fax: + 61 3 9547 6268
    Email robert@springvalleygolf.com.au
    Web www.springvalleygolf.com.au

Awesome Andi, cheers mate
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Excellent. Thanks Andi, now if you could just get the weather gods to ensure we don't have a stinking hot day again it would be appreciated... :P

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Excellent. Thanks Andi, now if you could just get the weather gods to ensure we don't have a stinking hot day again it would be appreciated... :P
    Do you have an email address for the weather dude? I've tried god@heaven.org but it keeps bouncing back

Yea his ISP is down I think.
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Obviously not using the right wireless protocol!

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Some photos here. Just waiting for FG to supply some more.
    Sorry Kev.......will get them to you. Just came back from Warrnambool - picking up my new car.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why would you drive over 300km to get it?

How's The Bool looking anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
    Sorry Kev.......will get them to you. Just came back from Warrnambool - picking up my new car.
    Not a problem. I take it the drive back was enjoyable

The car was about two grand cheaper than any others around. Bit of a flying visit but "Bool is a great place. If it wasn't so far away I could live there.
    Drive back was wet, wet wet - but no complaints. Boy do we need the rain.
    And I love my new car. It's great. Personalised plates on their way. Had to get REENY - reenie was taken.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Just stirring Andy.

I played at Spring Valley on Monday morning with one of the pros the hotel sponsors. A nice turnaround to Sundays game, a nett 69 with 30 putts. I played the par 3's in 1 under so very happy with that, but I feel a bit like a home track hero who can't carry the form to other courses.

Dean Kinney who I played with was down for qualifying for the Moonah Classic and he tore up the course having 8 birds in the last 10 holes for 62 off the stick. But it's a tough game pro golf and he missed qualifying by 4 shots at The Champions course at Sandhurst on the Tuesday.

Member Teaching Pro

Great Andy, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by andigold View Post
    I have received the below email from the GM at Spring Valley so we are on for the 30th March.

Andrew, permission has been granted for you to bring 7 guests on Sunday 30th March 2008. Green fees will be payable at the normal member guest rate. I have reserved you 8 time slots at 12.03pm & 12.11pm.

Regards
    Rob

Robert J Sim
    General Manager
    Spring Valley Golf Club
    Heatherton Road
    Clayton South Victoria 3169
    Australia
    Tel: + 61 3 9562 3811
    Fax: + 61 3 9547 6268
    Email robert@springvalleygolf.com.au

Web www.springvalleygolf.com.au