Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne Cup

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Default Melbourne Cup

Ok people it's Cup time again so what are your tips?
    Put down you 3 selections and we will see who has bragging rights come Tue arvo

My tips
    1. Princess Coup (big chance) $11
    2. Sculptor $31
    3. Douro Valley $31

Maybe look for something that likes the sting out of the ground as they are talking about a possible wet track buy Tue.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    3. Douro Valley $31
    you sure about this one, gone off it in a big way myself. Was one i liked a while back.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

ran like a donkey in the mackinnon
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I reckon the winner will be the first horse across the line.

I'm quite partial to backing a grey mare, though.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by kpac View Post
    you sure about this one, gone off it in a big way myself. Was one i liked a while back.
    His run in the Caufield Cup was tops and don't forget he was dropping back from 2400m to 2000 in the Mackinnon which I think was never going to be long enough for him.
    The other big advantage is the weight drop for the Cup, goes from 59kg down to 51.5kg and I think the 2 miles will be right up his alley.

I thew him and Sculptor in for some value mainly, I am really keen on Princess Coup

I cant say that it's a great betting race, but that doesn't stop me having a look I've got a couple i like personally, but if you're talking form i think there are 10 contenders: This is Kpac's best,

11 - Master O'Oeily
    By rights it should just win. - it could well start at $4, and i don't like that (but a win is a win) I don't think it's that good that you can rule the others out. Was excellent last start/Caulfield win and is probably more at home over this trip. Put it ontop, or stand it out in any multiple, it'll be pretty hard to beat! - **if really wet i'm not sure of its wet form....

4 - Gallic
    Won the sydney cup, genuine distance horse, think coming to form at the right time - will run it out that is for sure, at $20ish I think it overs. Atleast stick it in a tri.

24 Mahler
    Like the look of it - thats about it, just think it's full of talent yet would have to be super to clean this up, but i recon a decent show but paing way unders for sure (will have too many flutterers on it) needs to be getting out close to $20 to get my bills.

20 Sirmione
    well saw the replay of the Mackinnon this morn. shit hey, better horse than i though (actually i'd never even noticed it before!) A good win last start but that was derby day, which history says is not a great omen and it's probably only going to pay $10 which is too short. In saying all that, it was a stella run and wouldn't surprise me if it could do it again...

22 Eskimo Queen
    Now were talking, best of the value bets!!! should fetch a decent price. Dont know if it's quite back to it, Handicap is kind tho. Definate for tri's as i think it could make up the numbers. perfect draw

12 Purple Moon
    Didn't do as well at caulfield cup as O'Reilly but still looked bloody tidy! Distance no drama, form/creds would have it no. 2 on my list.

23 Princess Coup
    Well if you have a look at the weights change between o'Reilly and Coup between Caulfield and the Cup i think it has a nice balance. 3kg change, and you have to start asking how much more can O'reilly carry than Coup. It'll run just infront of o'reilly as well, with less in the saddle, gee i think it'll be able keep there till the finish.

9 Zipping
    Bloody hell it looked good in the mackinnon! let the legs stretch and i recon a good go! Getting to form, plus it was here last year for 4th, can go better.

6 Efficient
    Flying under the radar, can improve...

19 Douro Valley
    Well this stupid thing forgot to run yesterday. Even so, form prior to that looked blood lovely. still a chance i guess

If you dont like looking at all ten, then use the proven cup techniques to eliminate a few. Get rid of Douro Vally/Sirmione/Zipping/Princess Coup as they all ran on saturday, and outside of Brew and Rogan Josh, they dont win on Tuesday. Get rid of Mahler, too young. There you go you're left with 5.... NOTE: I still think these horses are a chance.

Good luck and happy punting.
    Golflink

goughy

I'll be gigging at a restaurants function that Tuesday. Might set up at 11 when the fashion parade starts. Think the lingerie was on first last year!!

Hang on, this is about horses isn't it! I might feed my face at the Weis' buffet when the horses start.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Gallic, Zipping, Master O-Reilly.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    Ok people it's Cup time again so what are your tips?
    0.25% increase is paying 1/3 at the moment.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

The Fuzz
    Lazer Sharp
    Gallic
    "Golf is a sadistic game probably played best by complete lunatics"

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    There are a couple of golden rules when it comes to cup form. Runners doing well in the Caulfield Cup and the mackinnon..
    A professional punter like yourself should be able to work out the golden rules for the tipping Ozgolf Champions.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Master O'Reilly
    Purple Moon
    Princess Coup
    Titleist 913 D3 w/UST V2 79g
    Nickent Rescue 14 degree w/IROD S
    Maxfli Revolutions 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Sante Fe II
    52, 56, 60 TaylorMade Rac Wedges

Golflink

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm thinking it might be pretty easy to sneak onto your most exclusive local course around 3.00pm tomorrow arvo for free. Might be worth a special trip to Ellerston just to see if it can be done.

I'm looking at the first four, which usually pays around 20K, with Master O'Reilly, Purple Moon, Douro Valley, Princess Coup and Mahler.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

goughy

I am shocked!!! I just found out that if you place a bet with a bookie you get the odds at the time you made the bet, but if you place a bet with the TAB you get the odds at the time the gate opens! That sux. If you're smart enough to jump early on a horse when it's at 100to1 then shortens to 20to1 and wins you should get the 100to1.

Know I know why I only gamble moderately more than AP (poker the exception)

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Different ways of operating Goughy. TAB takes a %age of the pool and pays the rest out (Totaliser Betting). Booky adjusts odds according to the bets he takes and what he has to pay out in various circumstances.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I am shocked!!! I just found out that if you place a bet with a bookie you get the odds at the time you made the bet, but if you place a bet with the TAB you get the odds at the time the gate opens! That sux. If you're smart enough to jump early on a horse when it's at 100to1 then shortens to 20to1 and wins you should get the 100to1.

Know I know why I only gamble moderately more than AP (poker the exception)
    You can also get fixed odds at the TAB on major races, as well as online bookies like Centrebet offering fluctuating odds and fixed odds.

Whatever you want to bet on there is an option for you.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Major Winner

Sirmione, Purple Moon and Princess Coup.
    I'm back.

Who won?

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by terryand View Post
    Who won?

Terry.
    I heard the race is at 2.00pm, but is that 1pm, 2pm, or 3pm Qld time. Anyone know when the thing is on?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Wooohooo!!!

I won the work sweep. I don't think I'll be spending up big with only $35. Perhaps a couple of 6-packs of Scotch and Dry for the champs though.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Efficient won for those not already in the know.

I didn't intend to watch it, as Mitch had a swimming lesson, but someone had a TV on in the watching room, so I had a look at the end.

It's hard to have any interest, when you aren't in a sweep, calcutta or something.

hope someone took note of "my best". The top four were in there! somehow i still didn't come away rolling in it.
    Golflink

I'm in no way a fan of anything horse related but i must say that Efficient finished that race superbly ... came home from the back of the pack
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

hope someone took note of "my best". The top four were in there! somehow i still didn't come away rolling in it.
    Yeah, you really put yourself out there with 10 horses listed in a thread started to pick 3.

Get rid of Mahler, too young.
    From the tips here, it looks like none of you will be rolling in money.

you idiot
    Golflink

Thread Information