My round today only just qualifies as good enough to post, at 34 points. But there is something else about the round, and about my game, that I want to talk about.

Today was the first round in over 50 years of golf that I have putted cross-handed. And for the most part it worked.

My chipping and putting has been holding me back for a long time, and my previous round was the last straw, after missing 3 putts inside 3 feet and not holing anything outside 4 feet. So I did some internet searching, and then spent some time on the practice green and elsewhere trying to get a feel for something different. I've done the claw previously, and eventually gave it up. So in an internal competition between grips on the practice green, cross-handed won, and I gave it a proper try.

Distance control was a bit of an adventure, and I never felt confident, but I concentrated very hard on taking a proper backswing and making a slow stroke, and I didn't miss any short ones. It remains to be seen how long it lasts, but I'm going to stick with it for the moment.