Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM - November 2023

My round today only just qualifies as good enough to post, at 34 points. But there is something else about the round, and about my game, that I want to talk about.

Today was the first round in over 50 years of golf that I have putted cross-handed. And for the most part it worked.

My chipping and putting has been holding me back for a long time, and my previous round was the last straw, after missing 3 putts inside 3 feet and not holing anything outside 4 feet. So I did some internet searching, and then spent some time on the practice green and elsewhere trying to get a feel for something different. I've done the claw previously, and eventually gave it up. So in an internal competition between grips on the practice green, cross-handed won, and I gave it a proper try.

Distance control was a bit of an adventure, and I never felt confident, but I concentrated very hard on taking a proper backswing and making a slow stroke, and I didn't miss any short ones. It remains to be seen how long it lasts, but I'm going to stick with it for the moment.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Monthly medal yesterday. Haven't been putting well lately, so decided to try committing to using a line on the ball. Not completely convinced, but enough promise to persist with it for a while. Burned edges on a few good birdie looks (6th, 8th, and 10th in particular, all around 8-10 feet), then got on a bit of a run. Chip in on 16 was a highlight, no one managed to get inside that for the 2nd shot NTP. Had to wait on 2 groups to hit off on 18 (not sure what happened, pace of play was fine until then), and proceeded to hit my tee shot in the water and throw away great round.

BPPBBPPPb-PPPPbbePX 70/69 (par 70)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A belated check-in for yesterday's Monthly Medal at Cairns. I'm not sure exactly what I did differently, maybe the golfing gods decided to give me a break.

75 net 65 (par 72) saw me claim the A grade monthly medal and a handicap drop from 10.2 to 8.1.

It will be a challenge to play to it but it was nice to put a solid round together.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    A belated check-in for yesterday's Monthly Medal at Cairns. I'm not sure exactly what I did differently, maybe the golfing gods decided to give me a break.

75 net 65 (par 72) saw me claim the A grade monthly medal and a handicap drop from 10.2 to 8.1.

It will be a challenge to play to it but it was nice to put a solid round together.
    Congratulations, Dcanto. A monthly medal win is a rarity for most of us, so I hope you celebrate accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Congratulations, Dcanto. A monthly medal win is a rarity for most of us, so I hope you celebrate accordingly.
    Thanks, Andy. I did have a few celebratory beverages last night. 👍

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default WDYSTM - November 2023

05/11/2023, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 111 Par 67), Stableford.

Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch.

Scoring BPPPPPPPb bBXPBPPBB; 35-37-72 (E:+5:+5) stab 19-16-35pts.
    Played to 6.5. Golflink 6.2 (-0.3).

A return to the home course after four weeks playing elsewhere. Greens were cored a month ago, so I was hopeful that the greens would be pretty good. I was greatly disappointed, because they were shit and definitely affected the putting, which is my strength.

Regardless, I still had a good round, and find myself in a decent little form patch. Irons off the tee were great (back to back birds on 9/10), when it is quite often the opposite, and I stuck a heap of chips close (the only way to almost guarantee sinking a putt). There was a string of holes where I was hitting the driver dead straight too.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    05/11/2023, Wolston Park GC, Blue Tees (Scr 65 Sl 111 Par 67), Stableford.Strokes Gained (SG) vs Scratch.Scoring BPPPPPPPb bBXPBPPBB; 35-37-72 (E:+5:+5) stab 19-16-35pts.Played to 6.5. Golflink 6.2 (-0.3).A return to the home course after four weeks playing elsewhere. Greens were cored a month ago, so I was hopeful that the greens would be pretty good. I was greatly disappointed, because they were shit and definitely affected the putting, which is my strength.Regardless, I still had a good round, and find myself in a decent little form patch. Irons off the tee were great (back to back birds on 9/10), when it is quite often the opposite, and I stuck a heap of chips close (the only way to almost guarantee sinking a putt). There was a string of holes where I was hitting the driver dead straight too.
    Solid - nice one.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post

Flusha!

All square in monthly medal with 3 doubles on recently cored greens. I couldn’t bring myself to hit it hard enough most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Puttpete View Post
    Flusha!
    I wish 🙂

Played at Beaudesert in the social club today, not really great conditions with persistent rain the majority of the round. I didn't play all that well either shooting 90/78. The greens were challenging, they rolled fine but very slow, they looked like they'd been cored recently so I'm guessing they're cut a bit longer than normal. The effect of the grain was increased as a result which caused a few misses from short range. Shot of the day was on the par 3 15th, hit a little 6 iron straight at the flag and it almost looked like it went in from the tee, unfortunately not though.

The layout tends to favour a draw off the tee, which I couldn't get going at all today. A lot of the tees themselves are a bit uneven, one of them was actually on an incline which was strange to say the least. I'd like to go back and play it again in better weather though.

Member Club Pro

Played to my current chopper handicap at the Monthly medal on saturday, shanks on back to back holes resulting in 2 doubles plus a bunch of missed putts.
    Still wouldn't have got close if I made all those as a Net 59 won the medal.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

77 net 67 in Monthly Medal on Saturday. Poor putting continued. I think I had 5 x 3-putts in that (including putts from the fringe), which was really disappointing. I drove it really well and hit my irons pretty well too, so to throw away that many shots on the greens was awful.

Seriously considering buying another putter, as mine has become complacent. I probably should just go back to a normal sized paddle grip, as I'm not loving the big fat grip yet. It's a combination of distance control and alignment. My lag putting wasn't close enough and then I missed a bunch of 3-5 footers.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Bugger it got hot today.
    36 points, some good golf with a hint of ordinary.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

84/74. 37 putts. 3 doubles. 11 work calls buggered the round up... (lucky I have a Telstra phone)

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Tale of two halves today. Very loose on the front 9, could've gone -5 on the back if a couple more putts dropped instead of lipped.

BPBBXPBbX-bPbPPPPPP

Got on in 2 on 10 for the first time (it's a long hole, and there's a penalty area that means you can't really go after driver off the tee) but missed the eagle putt.

Greatest sand save of my life on 11 - no green to work with, ball was plugged so deep, there'd be an inch of sand over it if you covered it up. Seriously considered taking an unplayable drop - but somehow dug it out to 6-7 feet and sunk the slippery downhill putt.

Seems I'm a back 9 kinda guy. Started solidly today, but made a mess of the 8th (par 5, easiest hole on the course) - lost ball off the tee, then a three putt leading to a double. Back 9 was really good, other than a couple of poor wedges on 12.

PPPBPPBXP-PbBPPPPPb 75/37pts

87 Gross
    72 Nett
    36 Points.

Started off with a 7 on Hole 1 Par 4. Excellent start!
    Couldn't hit a clean shot last week, so very happy to shoot a 36 pointer this week.
    Still struggled off the tee on a few holes. Someone needs to keep their head down!
    Desert Golfer

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

32 Points today and I have NFI how.

13 Points on the front nine with 2 wipes and a 1 pointer, but just could not hit any iron near the middle at all (except the pitching wedge) and just felt absolutely terrible. Putted ok when I got to the green but after dunking my tee shot on the 6th, i admit the water looked good for my clubs and the body.

Then something happened on 10. Still did not hit the irons well but scrambled ok and managed to hit a couple of decent fairway woods through teh 9 although did dunk another on 13. Managed to par 11 for the first time ever in competition play and finished par/par so was happy. Back nine was 3 x 1 pointers, with a single 4 pointer and finished with 2 x 3 and got 19 points all up.

No idea how. the game felt far fare worse than 32 points and at one time I just wanted to break 25.

In the end, get .3 back as this was my 17th round but as mentioned, stumped really but satisfied.

30 points today. Never really felt like I had my swing going that well, too many loose shots particularly with the wedges unusually. Ruined a few decent drives with bad second shots. The greens were renovated about a fortnight ago but they were still like putting on a beach, would have been easier to chip the long ones. Some were quicker than others as well, although it was mainly the loose shots that cost me strokes. Chip in birdie on 7 was a highlight. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

32 yesterday. Birdies, wipes, 1 pointers, 3 pointers and some rain.

A pleasant morning.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Eastwood Open, didnt touch a club all week and it showed. Actually drove it well, only missed 2 fairways, which means the next bit was a bit sh1t.
    8 pars
    10 bogies
    82/75
    30 putts
    Short all day

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

38 points today, gross 80. Hit the driver like absolute rubbish, lost pretty well all of them right, but I hit all the other clubs pretty well, and got lucky a bit with where the drives finished. Two birdies this time, one of them after my shot of the day on the par 5 11th, a 5 iron uphill into a bit of breeze from 162, straight at it to a bit over 2 feet. It must have been close to rolling in for an eagle. Happy with the score and getting back under the soft cap, but hopefully I'll get back to hitting better drives next week.
    Last edited by Kelsey86; 12th November 2023 at 07:13 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

American foursomes on Sat with my mate off 4 and me off 9 (6.5 hcap). I hit it pretty well tee to green, and we used my ball on most holes. We combined pretty well for a 2 over 71, nett 64.5. Only made 2 birdies though and had several missed 6-10 foot putts which cost us in the end. Played in the rain and then steamy conditions and just couldn't get a feel for the pace. We finished 0.5 shots outside the top 16 and didn't qualify for the matchplay. Bummed.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Checking in with my best round for about six months for 38 points.

Cross-handed putting works. I holed my first 20 footer for months and two 10 footers, and that's the difference between 33 points and 38, that and not missing short ones.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Thread Information