Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Well done on the round Scarfie.

Just shoot a 69 next week end in the comp.
    I hope he does. I will be the first to congratulate him. But I doubt its gonna happen.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69 View Post
    Bit harsh mate..I was only telling it like it is !

I reckon that would make it into the paper, but he'd be claiming he didn't do it. Oh the irony!!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Nah thats cool G69, I know it's not the hardest of tracks but I'm not sure about being easier than emerald. There's plenty of water and most holes are pretty tight. 5900 off the tips too. It's no Kooralbyn but hey it's cheap.

Well I guess the crowd has spoken, thanks to all who posted in my favour. Seems like the consensus is that I'll keep it under wraps until I shoot 6 under at the Aus Open
    Titleist TSr4 9*... Tensei 1k Black 65x
    Titleist TSr3 15*... Tensei 1k Black 75x
    Titleist TSi2 21*... Tensei AV Raw White 75x
    New Level 623CB 4-PW...TT Elevate Tour X
    Vokey 50/12, 56/14, 60/14... S200
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

What is the ACR at this course anyway?

Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I hope he does. I will be the first to congratulate him. But I doubt its gonna happen.
    I didn't think Scarfie1e was a member anywhere with an official handicap, so yes, not gunna happen.

I do have on official handicap actually. And the challenge has been layed down, 69 it is.
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

Member Teaching Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan View Post
    I'd get in now, you might not have the chance later

Following the recent spate of heated discussions, I decided that it's too hot in here for me.

Oh, well can't help myself.....

wait, Yes I can

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by scarfie1 View Post
    I do have on official handicap actually. And the challenge has been layed down, 69 it is.
    Good luck, I reckon if you do it in a comp round jack should buy you a case of beer.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

or a 6 pack of CD's

goughy

But it would probably be VB! Blech...

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    Good luck, I reckon if you do it in a comp round jack should buy you a case of beer.
    I reckon Jack will buy him a brewery if he can repeat the feat in a comp!

The pressure will be too much for him. I can feel it in me waters.

Hope it's not the Gold Coast waters - that place was built on a swamp.

I don't often agree with jack, coz he is normally a gizzswallower...but social round scores have nil cred....even if it did actually happen.
    In all the confusion, I missed this gem earlier. Who is writing your stuff 69'er? Vikki Pollard?

yeah but, no but, yeah but!

I don't often agree with jack, coz he is normally a gizzswallower...but social round scores have nil cred....even if it did actually happen.
    don't see the reasoning behind this. do you find it easier outside of a comp? to me it's all the same. 18 holes that the ball needs to fall into in as few shots as possible.

i can't see why scarfie would go and make something like this up. who really gives a shit what a large group of people, many of which we will never meet or see really think?

in regards to the comment about the american handicapping system that was brought up about 16 pages ago, handicaps don't really mean as much in north america as they do here.
    all tournaments i have ever played in, stroke, ambrose, whatever, have always been off the stick.
    there are tournaments where handicaps come into play, but not anything like aus.
    the ability to turn in cards played in a "social" round would actually show a truer reflection of handicap. turning in 5 cards over the course of a week will give a much better picture of my golfing ability than taking a snapshot of only one round. with the very limited opportunities we have to actually play handicapped golf at home, it is sometimes the only way.
    we use a rating, or "slope" system of the golf course combined with or score that is used in calculating our handicaps. i would use an online service that asked for the slope of the course (dependant on the tees used) and the score i shot. it would give me an "unofficial" handicap, but one that was calculated accurately, and something i could use as a benchmark to see if i was improving or not.
    from my personal experience, growing up in toronto, you could only be a member of a club if dad was a lawyer, doctor, or something similar. every course offering memberships in toronto has a waiting list, a minimum of about $20,000 nomination (this was about 7 years ago) and an insane yearly fee. this is only for about 5 months of solid golf. it makes competition golf (at clubs that actually have them) something that is participated in by a minority.

the cheapest membership i could find about 5 years ago was at a course that was about an hour outside of downtown toronto and they were charging about $4000 for a year. to give you an idea what it is like, i would compare it to a yarra bend ( iplayed there in 2001, and it was nothing special)
    they have golf "leagues" but nothing like the comp system in aus, which i think is brilliant to some degree, but too much emphasis seems to be placed on it by others.

final question: did golf's first ever hole in one not occur until someone organized a competition for it to occur in? i'll bet there would be an angry scotsman if he were alive today and you tried to tell him otherwise!
    Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 22nd October 2007 at 11:59 PM.

Nice rant. As expected, you missed the points entirely. WTF does golf in Toronto have to do with scarfie big noting himself (with no proof) in this thread?

PS. The Caps Lock and Shift Keys are easily found on most keyboards. Give them a try.

I've played social golf with Jack, he kept score.

I've still got the card somewhere - it prooves that smails 3 jabbed the last to lose.

I guess it comes down to what an official competition is. Not all clubs are on golf link.

The Ozgolf champs aren't an official competition, but I'd claim an ace or a PB round if either happened there.

The course record at Virginia was shot my a professional without a handicap in an unofficial competition - its on the honour board too....!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Nice rant. As expected, you missed the points entirely. WTF does golf in Toronto have to do with scarfie big noting himself (with no proof) in this thread?

PS. The Caps Lock and Shift Keys are easily found on most keyboards. Give them a try.
    wouldn't really call it a rant, as that infers that it was written with a little anger. i have seen you over at ISG jack, and i know exactly what you are trying to do, which makes it all the more amuzing. you help turn one board to shit and then try and do it to another?

the reference to toronto golf was in response to the point that was brought up about the handicapping system used in north america, which is perhaps why i view social golf as i do.

i think it is unfair that you jump on a guy because he shot a par round and it wasn't in a comp. i can't see any reason for him to boast and lie about something that didn't happen. are any of us that insecure that we need this type of reassurance?

you and 69 simply saw the opportunity to stir a little shit and jumped on it. scarfie, not knowing you, bit on the bait that was cast.
    jc

NIce read, thanks for the entertainment fellas.
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    i think it is unfair that you jump on a guy because he shot a par round and it wasn't in a comp. i can't see any reason for him to boast and lie about something that didn't happen. are any of us that insecure that we need this type of reassurance?
    It matters little to me what you consider to be fair or unfair, as we all form our own opinion on such matters.

The issue here is that scarfie started his own thread to boast about "my finest hour...I have finally conquered this game" when in fact he cannot prove the legitimacy of the score because it was in a meaningless social hit with a mate. The score is not verifiable in any way shape or form and therefore for all intents and purposes it does not exist. That fact is undeniable. Had scarfie shown a little more modestly in reporting his score on these boards then he would not be copping so much shit from me and many others.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hey...how did I get dragged into this ?
    I stated facts and gave my opinion....would you prefer I just had the same opinion as yours and all agreed with each other.
    I Agree!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Hey...how did I get dragged into this ?
    I stated facts and gave my opinion....would you prefer I just had the same opinion as yours and all agreed with each other.
    69er the conformist? After looking at the ancient 5 wood in the bag, Hmm don't think so
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

I had nothing to do with this!!! Oh wait, I haven't been fingered in this one....

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    i have seen you over at ISG jack, and i know exactly what you are trying to do, which makes it all the more amuzing. you help turn one board to shit and then try and do it to another?
    To be fair, ISG dropped itself in the sh!t.

In all honesty - what's wrong with a little niggle? It's not like he called 100% of OzGolfers a bunch of 'self-pleasurers'.

It matters little to me what you consider to be fair or unfair, as we all form our own opinion on such matters.

The issue here is that scarfie started his own thread to boast about "my finest hour...I have finally conquered this game" when in fact he cannot prove the legitimacy of the score because it was in a meaningless social hit with a mate. The score is not verifiable in any way shape or form and therefore for all intents and purposes it does not exist. That fact is undeniable. Had scarfie shown a little more modestly in reporting his score on these boards then he would not be copping so much shit from me and many others.
    I believe the title of this sub forum is:

What did you shoot this week?
    Give us the lowdown on your latest game.

Nowhere does it say: tell us what you shot in an official competition.

And it wasn't a meaningless social hit, it was every bit as meaningful as a weekly comp, even more so because I enjoy it more and that's how my golf is done. Does shooting a good round in a comp mean anything more? Nup. And just because Golflink doesn't have record of my score doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Who gives a toss if my round is verifiable or not, only you by the looks. I certainly wouldn't want to be mates with you if you questioned everything I did. Where's the trust gone between Ozgolfers.
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

Thread Information