Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Very nice score top stuff

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by scarfie1 View Post
    I don't really see what difference it makes.
    Makes a huge difference to my golf, as I have always sucked at social play, I guess becuase there is little reason to care.

I might need to take up punting on myself.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I don't really see what difference it makes, it would be nice to do it in a tournament, something worth winning, but a weekly competition is nothing, just a bunch of blokes competing for a few crappy balls and vouchers. To me golf is golf, par is par, no matter what the circumstance. It's not like the course gets harder or anything, there were some pretty tricky pins out today and the tees were back.
    agree 100%. i don't feel anymore pressure in a comp round then i do in a social round as i usually have some $$ riding on every social round that i play. i take more care and line up putts a little longer in a comp round, which can lead to a better score.

i think comps are somewhat b/s in general as handicaps come into play (although i still play every week). it's like giving someone a head start in a race and then having them turn around and tell me that they are faster.

it's the same dumbass argument that says a hole in one shouldn't count in a non-comp round. is it any easier? i think not.

good work on the 71.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post

it's the same dumbass argument that says a hole in one shouldn't count in a non-comp round. is it any easier? i think not.
    I agree 100%.

Although it'd be nice to have an "official" hole-in-one in comp play, i have no probs with somebody spruking off about one in social play at all ... providing they have a witness to the event

Man JC, this is gonna fire up plenty of debate now
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Makes a huge difference to my golf, as I have always sucked at social play, I guess becuase there is little reason to care.

I might need to take up punting on myself.
    Where is I am the opposite, or at least was. I generally played much better socially than in a comp. Now days I just don't care, and play shite at either!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Re: the comp issue... it only matters, if it matters to you. If it makes no difference to you, then that's cool. Congrats on the PB. Always satisfying. Well done.
    WITB: TBA

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would not count for anything either.

I would like to see you repeat it in an official competition round, then I may be somewhat tempted to go along with your humble statement of:

"My finest hour...I finally conquered this game "
    Last edited by Webster; 22nd October 2007 at 06:40 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would could for anything either.

I would like to see you repeat it in an official competition round, then I may be somewhat tempted to go along with your humble statement of:

Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Well done mate, fantastic effort.

Haven't done it myself, but it is a goal of mine.
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Its a nice score in a social round. Nothing more than that. It wont count for handicapping purposes. If you had a hole in one during that round then that would not count for anything either.

I don't get this whole belief that competition golf is the only golf thats counts BS. Who was the almighty one that decied that. I understand that I won't get my name on some board if I shoot the course record or get a hole in one, but that doesn't matter, all I care about is that I did it. It does count for something because I make it count, and thats all that matters, what I think. To me I played the game of golf by the rules of golf, and any score should count, whether your competing against other hackers or not.
    Titleist TSr4 9*... Tensei 1k Black 65x
    Titleist TSr3 15*... Tensei 1k Black 75x
    Titleist TSi2 21*... Tensei AV Raw White 75x
    New Level 623CB 4-PW...TT Elevate Tour X
    Vokey 50/12, 56/14, 60/14... S200
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

Was it off the plates ?

Just mucking around, I always think of social golf, off the yellows and about 50 in front of the normal tees

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Was it off the plates ?

Just mucking around, I always think of social golf, off the yellows and about 50 in front of the normal tees
    I always play off the back tees, however due to bad tee conditions they weren't 100% off the plates, but not much inbetween. Only a couple of metres on each hole. It's funny how they say social players must play off the whites....what a joke, they assume your going to be a hacker and hack up the tee box or something. It's just another one of the stupid members rules I ignore.
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

It's funny how they say social players must play off the whites....what a joke, they assume your going to be a hacker and hack up the tee box or something. It's just another one of the stupid members rules I ignore.

Agree, although yellow are social tee colours at most courses in NSW.

I think that as a social player but hold an AGU handicap you should definitely be allowed to play off the member tees.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I agree with the intelligent posts here ( and not with the obvious ones who are just sh*t stirrrers) What difference does it make if it is a comp round or a social round. It is still golf!!!!!!!!!!! Why doesn't it matter if it's not in a comp round. Does that mean that the pros could turn around and say to us - "oh that doesn't count cos it wasn't on tour".
    He played by the rules -and on the day - he conquered the game. Doesn't mean he'll do it every time for now - but he acheived his goal and I say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

congrats scarfie.

I don't think comp has anything to do with shooting a PB. But I know shooting a PB in comp is better (You know you shot the best score of any person on that day). Its one thing to say I set a new pb but if the course rated 6 shot easier that day its not your best. In my case I have broken 80 twice once at windaroo of the social tees on a perfect golf day the other at nudgee in high winds when the comp CCR was 2 over. I know the nudgee round is more special.

As per the title he conquered a goal not the game. good luck reaching the next goal.
    Last edited by peter_rs; 22nd October 2007 at 11:54 AM.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Senior Member Major Winner

I don't get this whole belief that competition golf is the only golf thats counts BS. Who was the almighty one that decided that.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Jim
    I'm sure he had a little help from his friends
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Whatever butters your bread I guess. I shot 29 the other day, playing a par 30 with my son, it means nothing to me at all (apart from watching my son).

If I was even par on my home track, playing comp, and had a 10 footer on the last for 70.... well to me that means something because I make it mean something to me.

So Scarfie1, if you make it mean something and get as much out of it as I would with my scenario, full kudos to you

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

par 70? what sort of pitch'n'putt track do you play ???

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    par 70? what sort of pitch'n'putt track do you play ???
    , sorry, the putt would have been birdie, par 71

golf is a game that is played on many differnt levels, by many people.

i have broken par in both comp events and non-comp events. i can't really say that one was more satisfying than the other. whenever i play, i simply play against par. if someone says "hey good round, net 70 is a good score", I say thanks, but I still look at it is being 3 over what I should have shot.
    the only difference between shooting under par in a comp event is that i might get a $50 gift certificate to spend in my pro shop that has no stock in it whatsoever (although this usually won't happen because some 27 handicapper will have 46 points). I might win $15-$20 in a social round, or even nothing. However, the only thing that is important to me is having the satisfaction of breaking par, without the aid of course ratings or a handicap. The satisfaction of "beating" the game for just one day is all that I need to make me come back the next day, shoot 90 and wonder what the hell went wrong.

Well said Johnny
    Odyssey TriHot 5k Two
    Titleist Pro V1x

It counts for "1" on the scorecard. It won't be on the honour board, but its still a hole-in-one.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

If you were a yank you could have handed it in for handicapping! Go figure. Always disliked that about the US system. But then again, do they get the access to several weekly comps like we do here?

Great score, regardless of how it happened. My best mate had shot his best round at our home club in a social round with iain and I always gave him props on that.

You're a tough man Jackie boy

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    It counts for "1" on the scorecard. It won't be on the honour board, but its still a hole-in-one.
    If you are not playing in the comp then there is no point at all in even recording the scores on a scorecard, unless you want to write it down and show it to your mates to impress them (even though they will probably ask "was it in a comp")?

Thread Information