Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default NSW Final Jimandr v Mikezone13, all square, we'll play again!

Result at Warringah, 14/10/07 - all square after 18. We'll have a replay.

The event should take place on Sunday October 14. I've put a thread in 1st tee to cover the game.

This thread is where my fellow Ozgolfers can express their desire to see a new winner of the highly desired silver trophy.

I'll start the anti-sledging by pointing out that I've played with Mike once. He had 42 points, I had 26. It was my worst game of the year (so far). I hope it was his best.
    Last edited by jimandr; 14th October 2007 at 08:20 PM.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A repeat of bayview will do very nicely jim
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm sure golf will be the winner on the day
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

goughy

I was thinking it might be Mike or Jim!!

Put the date in this topic please, i keep checking this thread in eager anticipation of finding out the result and so far only dribble from a couple of Ozgolf's finest.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm not a very good sledger, mainly because I think a sledger needs confidence in their own game in order to back up their words. My game is a bit shakey at the moment.

However, a comment in another thread has given me one idea that may gain me a psychological advantage.

I have the day off on Friday. I'll spend it on the practice fairway, working on how to say 'what forward pass?' with a french accent. If I'm one down with two to play, that might be a good time to play the last card in the deck.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Wear a blue shirt Jim, maybe ask Mike where the next Rugby World cup is?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Blog Entries

Another nice touch would be to have croissants for a snack during the round. Mike would love those.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

If you wear a beret jim it'll be a walkover... although I could always start singing "Sming low, sweet chariot..." at the halfway house
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    If you wear a beret jim it'll be a walkover... although I could always start singing "Sming low, sweet chariot..." at the halfway house
    I've seen some very strange hats/caps in my time, and even worn a few, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play golf in a beret. I don't want to be thrown off the course.

I'll enjoy a rendition of 'swing low', particularly if you can do the HG and Roy version, with hand movements and gestures.

I think I should declare a last-minute source of improvement to my game that may help tilt the scales in my favour.

Everyone (on this site, anyway) knows that any item of new equipment will improve your game by two shots a round.

So, I have purchased a new pull buggy ($70, Calibre brand for those interested). The boost in confidence alone because I know that this must make my game better might be enough to get me over the line.

On the other hand, I have broken with the routine of a lifetime, by spending a short time on the practice fairway today. Everyone also knows that if you hit it well on the practice fairway you are certain to hack it around the course.

Based on today's efforts jim I'm not expecting to be much of a challenge for you....

Although I'll be glad to get a few shots from you
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

game over, posting from the bar... match all square after a rollercoaster of a day, replayed match imminent
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

Time to post far more details of this game. The result is in the title and top of the first thread.

This was by far the best matchplay game I've ever played. It helps that I played really well at the end, but even if I had lost I would still say this was one of my more enjoyable games of golf.

It was nip and tuck for a while, and square after 8, when Mike used the first of his two handicap shots very effectively to get a win. His birdie at 9 made him one up, although our stableford scores were 17 a piece.

On the back nine the quality of play went up a number of notches. I made disappointing bogeys on 10 and 11, and lost both holes to pars, and then lost 12 despite my par because Mike used his other shot well. So I was 4 down with six to play. We squared 13 in pars. I'm still 4 down, but even with handicap. I thought at this point that I wasn't too worried about getting beaten, because at least I was playing well.

I hit a very good iron to 14 and won with a par. 3 down, 4 to play. 15 was squared with pars, I'm dormie 3 down. Pars aren't good enough! On 16 I played a great hole for birdie, Mike was unlucky with his drive and had to settle for par. Dormie two. On 17 I hit another great shot. Mike didn't and finished with a wipe. I holed my putt for birdie even though I didn't need it.

On 18 I played a good hole. Mike hit an ordinary second shot, and a chip that wasn't close enough to hole. In the end I needed a 4 footer for a miracle escape, and squeezed it in the edge. A comeback from dormie three to live another day.

We couldn't keep doing down the 1st as people were using it as a practice fairway, so we agreed that the fun should continue again another day, probably Sunday the 28th.

Mike played well, much better than the scores he has been posting recently, and I played patchy until the last 7 holes, when it all came together.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it a story worth telling in full.

So, in other words Mike choked.

Bad luck guys, golf was clearly the winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    So, in other words Mike choked.

Bad luck guys, golf was clearly the winner
    Cheers mate... a bit of both really, can't take away from jim being 2 under off the stick for the last 7 holes of a match, but there were definitely 2 or 3 shots I hit on the stretch (last 5 holes) that put me in bad spots, and combined with a couple of clutch 4-6 footers by jim in the last 4 holes that made the difference.

From my perspective it was a great match with some really good golf played in there... ironically I started the match with jim giving me 2 shots, however once the round was finished jim went down to a 7 and I got .1 back for 35pts to send me to 10.5 (11) so now 4 shots is the difference, I said we should replay the match today but jim politefully declined
    Last edited by mikezone13; 15th October 2007 at 07:11 AM.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

sounds great guys. Good to hear of a competitive match being played out.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Blog Entries

Am off the 28th, could be on the cards to be able to see this match come to a conclusion.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
    ... ironically I started the match with jim giving me 2 shots, however once the round was finished jim went down to a 7 and I got .1 back for 35pts to send me to 10.5 (11) so now 4 shots is the difference, I said we should replay the match today but jim politefully declined
    Surely a REmatch should be played off the same relative handicap? (ie. Jim giving you 2 holes)

We should consult the Ozgolf Matchplay Rules Committee ... Blakey, you in the house?
    Last edited by Jono; 15th October 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Surely a REmatch should be played off the same relative handicap? (ie. Jim giving you 2 holes)

We should consult the Ozgolf Matchplay Rules Committee ... Blakey, you in the house?
    i hear ya.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Pfft, you should've had a putt off
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

IMHO, as the match should have gone to extra time immediately, therefore no change in handicaps would be the appropriate way of handling the matter.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Extra time stinks. Handicap change is fair.

I think we play off our handicaps of the day, whatever they may be.

The handicap question may not matter much. The rematch is probably in two weeks time. Now that I've played Mike back into form, he could easily tear his home course apart next week and lose the 1.2 he needs to go from 10.5 to 9.3.

If I play next week, I might have a return to previous form and get my .1 anyway. I must be right on the bubble of 7 and 8. By the way, I would NOT deliberately throw in a bad score to get a shot back. I want to be on a lower handicap, not a higher one.

In any case, we worked out in the clubhouse after that the third shot wouldn't have mattered, as I lost the fourth, which was the third handicap shot. Now the fourth h'cap shot, given away on 16, was another matter altogether, and would've caused a 3/2 result.

None of this really matters. I had great fun, and will do so again, win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Extra time stinks. Handicap change is fair.
    Agree, not a fan of extra time in a final. In regards to handicap change jim and I had a chat and as jim said chances are it'll be 3 shots the difference between us or possibly back to the 2 anyway.

However jim I'm not playing my home track this weekend (playing Shell Harbour) but will play my home track the day before our match.

Looking forward to another great match and a good day of golf.
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

Alister MacKenzie

Thread Information