Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Need help on travel bag

Hi all,

Never thought of getting a golf travel bag so I think it's about time to do it.

Just curious if the Proline $40 one in GolfWorks will work well for me? I think it make with nylon and I don't really know how it works to save the life of my clubs and bag?!?!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: Need help on travel bag

A-Lo, can't really give you any tips on what bag to get, but I can highly recommend putting a broomstick or something similar in your golf bag to ensure there is no damage caused to your longer clubs (make sure the stick is longer than the driver).

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Alo,

I have had a nylon one for 10 years ?? the same one, what you are doing is protecting your bag from damage and stains, and this does the job well.

Might have to ask Andippy to borrow his broomstick though .

Pete

good suggestion, thanks Andy

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    Might have to ask Andippy to borrow his broomstick though .
    I've given it back to the mother-in-law now.

I have one of those Travel Covers that slides right over the existing bag. The number of scrapes and marks on it is justification enough that one is needed. I have even seen Pro's use Hard covers.

Also make sure its got a lock on it - you know what some of these baggage handlers are like.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Andy - if you end up packing other things into the travel bag besides your clubs (e.g. towels for protection etc) the weight can add up - I'd also suggest getting a bag with wheels on the bottom.

I have a Bag Boy T250 - cost me $110 - but after 2 trips with it, definitely a great bag (http://www.bagboycompany.com/softcases.htm). The wheels on the bag saved me when I was travelling back from Alice with the golf bag and a suitcase.

But if you've got muscles - then no need for wheels!

Andy,

Just book an extra seat on the plane to sit your golf clubs in...

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

A-Lo,

.. as part of my job, i load bags(golf-clubs) into the cargo holds of aircraft.

Whilst i take great care to make sure any clubs i handle don't get damaged, some of my work colleagues aren't as careful

if your budget allows, get yourself one of those hard-cases. If this isn't an option, at least try the old broomstick in the middle of the bag method.. with as many towels shoved in there as you can .... just to make sure
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Andylo, just wait for Vegas to post on this topic. He's been all around the world with his clubs over the last few years....

Where are you Vegas

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa
    Andylo, just wait for Vegas to post on this topic. He's been all around the world with his clubs over the last few years....

Where are you Vegas
    Yeah yeah, I'm here now. Was at the Norman Hotel eating half a cow...

Andylo - if you want a serious, unburstable case, get an SKB hard case. http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/golf/hard.html
    They're not cheap, but are the duck's nuts and have a worldwide replacement warranty on their locks/latches. I did a lot of o/s trips with absolutely no problems at all with mine (48" x 12" standard case). Only downside is they are pretty cumbersome and rigid, so can pose a problem in smaller cars. Sold it a few months back to golf91

For domestic travel, get a cheapie travel bag. I picked up a little Dunlop Travelmate case from Rebel Sports for my recent trip to Tassie. Beauty of it is that the hood is integrated into the bag, ie. all one piece, so it won't fall off or get yanked off. It's very minimalist, with only one pocket for golf balls and a basic shoulder strap, but does the job. I could just manage to fit all my clubs into it, but had to take the driver head-cover off due to the length. Pack it full of towels to prevent clanking of the heads. Just plan on worst case scenario.... What if it was dropped from 20 feet up?

The ClubGlove ( http://www.clubglove.com/user/ViewCa...p?CategoryId=2 ) soft cases are a great compromise option if you do a lot of travelling. They are tough, padded cases with tonnes of pockets for balls, shoes etc.. Some of them have cinch(?) straps to hold everything in place. Advantage of these is that they take up less space than the SKB ones once you have arrived at your destination.

There are also plenty of cheap nylon travel cases around. Some offer more protection than others. If all you want to do is hide your fancy carry bag or whatever, these will work fine.

Weigh up how often you'll travel and what sort of golf trips you'll make. There's a solution for every requirement! Good luck.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    Whilst i take great care to make sure any clubs i handle don't get damaged,
    Jarro, I am quite certain it IS NOT in your job description to handle the clubs. You are SUPPOSED to leave them in the bag untouched.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

as a golfing family, we travel a lot with our golf bags...

cover and lock is defn a must - hardcover if you can afford to 1) buy one, 2) pay excess baggage (if required)...

over the years - best thing I've learnt is to NEVER use a stand bag...the leg supports gets damaged too easily...
    if you only have a stand bag, then best to tie them together....
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Andy,

I have a hard case and don't use it anymore. It is cumbersome, bulky and a pain packing it in a car when you arrive at your destination. I've had a couple of the soft bags and destroyed them all (I do about 5 trips to the US a year and lots of interstate trips. Clubs get to holiday probably 8 times a year).

I am now the proud owner of a Club Glove Burstproof. Expensive but just the absolute best and almost indestructable. Quality Golf in Queensland now import them.

Here's a Golf Digest review of the better ones;

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...09hotlist.html

JJ
    Play it as it lies......

Ah damn... all you guys giving me the best (also = expensive) idea....

At the end I just rush to Golfworks to get myself a $59 travel bag with wheels at the bottom...

Somehow make me think I should pray more to god in the normal days (so it will magically got no damage)

Anyway, I will a) just tuck in as much towels as I can and b) save up and buy one of those REAL travel bag... because I will go back to HK for a holiday this coming Feburary.

Thanks a lot guys

One other tip A-Lo. Remove the quotation marks (") from your signature. Your link should work then.

Just resurrecting this thread to check if anyone has any further experiences to share. Looking at the calendar I see a few more travel adventures coming my way before the Champs.

Had a look at Drummond at lunchtime and thought the BagBoy T3 was the best looking one. $135 in there but I'm sure I can find a better price.

If I keep myself to the travel cover plus a carry on bag I reckon I'll even be able to avoid excess baggage costs.

Anyone seen/used anything better?
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

I just used a soft travel bag when I've taken my clubs on the road. It's nothing special, just covers it up.

You should be able to take normal luggage + carry on + golf bag, without incurring an excess baggage cost. I've never paid to take my golf gear with Qantas or Virgin.

Bruce - I've successfully used the T3 to take bags to NZ, Alice Springs, Qld with no worries. We paid $120 each for ours.

What a fast, positive response. Thanks Mandy.

Any features you wish it had or didn't have?

I have one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Ben...QQcmdZViewItem

It's been to NZ, Europe, Asia, the US. It's also been to Melbourne about 30 times. Still looks brand new and I've never had a problem with it.

From memory it cost me $100 brand new from the pro shp I used to work in.

I highly reccomend them. Mine is 5 years old now and honestly looks like I bougtit yesterday despite all the travel.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

I think they sell those at Rebel Moe. I'll look there as well.

Did the Ben Hogan bag have wheels? I've found wheels really useful - but that may be because I'm a featherweight who could never carry her golf travel bag the endless miles from baggage collection to the taxi rank!

yep, got wheels.

they're kinda like rollr blade wheels and it's an easy bag to wheel around. My minute wife wheeled it around one day for me when I was stuck carrying all her shopping loot in New York
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

i got a similar one made by Powerbilt!! We jammed 70 pounds worth of luggage in it when we moved back from the states and my wife could JUST move it. Very useful extra bag though, given that most airlines don't weigh golf clubs.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Thread Information