Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Old School

I'm putting together a set of retro clubs for a bit of a laugh and I thought it might be cool to get a few of us together who've got some old sticks and have a game. See how much tougher it is without the advantages of modern gear.

I was chatting to Garry Calder at GCI the other day and he goes out occasionally and plays with the old hickory clubs. Now, I'm not that keen, but I reckon the 80's and prior was when the old school gear was at it's best.

ie. no titanium, no graphite, no cavity-backs, no lob wedges, no hybrids, no metalwoods.

Anyone else interested? Blakey - you could use your normal setup.

Fyi, I've got some circa-70's Daiwa Chairman persimmon woods (1.5 & 4 with True Temper steel shafts) and my circa 1980 PGF Aristocrat Tour Blades 3 thru SW. I'm still looking for a suitable putter, but I'm keen on something like a Wilson 8802.
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 15th September 2007 at 09:08 PM.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

peripheral weighted clubs were common even in the 70's, ie Status Mk3 but not sure if that directly compares to cavity back.

I am still ropable that I gave away my Ziggy driver, that would have been perfect.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

My concern would be the money I'd have to spend to put together an old school bag! I don't think I have $28.75 lying around

I have an 8802 Vegas.

I also have a Slazenger Masters putter.

I also have a set of East Bros blades that my grandad gave me
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

i think this is a great idea. i have always wanted there to be a pro tourney each year that took this stance. it would be great to see how today's top players perform without the benefits of modern technology.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Happy to take you guys on with these sweet old baby's..

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Happy to take you guys on with these sweet old baby's..
    Is there a 7W there?
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think you will get most of your retro stuff from the $1/club barrel at Cashies

terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

What year did the Tommy Armour 845s come out?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Is there a 7W there?
    Driver, 3 wood and 4 wood. They didnt make 7 woods back then...

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

My dad still uses his firt set of clubs - Slazenger Skins 1982 model 1wood, 3wood, 5wood and brosnan bulls eye style putter which we used to colour in with marker pen when the paint faded :P

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    peripheral weighted clubs were common even in the 70's, ie Status Mk3 but not sure if that directly compares to cavity back.

I am still ropable that I gave away my Ziggy driver, that would have been perfect.
    OK I believe you, you'd know better than me. I guess the sort of setup I imagine is persimmon woods and blades. Probably pre-ping putters too with their heel & toe weighting. What's a Ziggy, dare I ask?

Anyway, it's meant as a bit of fun so hopefully there are some others in SEQ that will be keen for a game.

Jack - those Tommy's are very nice. I had the originally persimmon 1.5,3,5 woods that came with my PGF's, but the driver cracked the first time I used it. Damn I wish I had them now, as they were mint.

Moe - how much for the 8802?

I've lost one of my irons, but saw a set on ebay. Almost cheaper to buy a whole new set than a replacement! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=017

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

If you're fair dinkum, you'd have to use a ball from that era too wouldn't you ?

Might be a bit hard to source one of those puppies
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    If you're fair dinkum, you'd have to use a ball from that era too wouldn't you ?

Might be a bit hard to source one of those puppies
    I've got a couple of hot dotsin the practcie bag if any needs them? How about play it with a Spalding Tour Edition ball, or a Top Flite of some description... maybe a Titleist balata could get a run.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Titleist balata might be the pick of the bunch there Mikeyboy

I've got one in my shag-bag and it feels like a friggin marshmellow
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    Titleist balata might be the pick of the bunch there Mikeyboy

I've got one in my shag-bag and it feels like a friggin marshmellow
    Remember the days of 3 or 4 balatas per round... expecially after skulling a wedge through the green and they was a nice deep cut on it.
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    What's a Ziggy, dare I ask?
    The PGF Ziggy was a persimmon headed driver popular with touring pro's in the late 70's thru to the mid 1980's. They had a round sole plate that looked very funky at the time. Ossie Moore won the 1986 Victorian Open at Yarra Yarra (beating Vaughn Somers by a shot) with one of these drivers in the bag. They were great clubs, but for the good player only. Probably about 180cc in size.

I will see if I can dig up a picture of one of them.

Ziggy was the nickname of the clubmaker at PGF who singlehandedly made the driver. You couldnt buy one of these off the shelf, it had to be ordered.

There was no markings in the club except PGF on a very plain sole plate, and a Ziggy sticker on the toe, which is obviously lost when the club is refinished, which i did a couple of times. You might end up seeing something like this in a Vinnies for $2 and you would never know how good it is

(after Ziggy retired mid 80's PGF did go into mass production for a short while, thus devaluing the product. But by that time loacl golf club manufaturers were shutting down and using asian foundries anyway)

I got mine in 1983 and the cost was $140. From memory a single golf club cost $50-100 at that time, so it was relatively very expensive.

As most golfers used predominantly Australian made clubs up to the mid 80's the Ziggy was pretty much the premium driver in Australia.

I guess using Jacks description that made me a Tour ho at age of 18.

BTW Jaster has a lefty Ziggy in his possession.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 16th September 2007 at 03:03 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

blakey they were truly a great driver, deep in the face and only for the better player - hard to hit well. Of course, if you had a set of cobra mild steel blades in the bag as well, then really did have the best money could buy back then.

If more than 3 people are interest I will head down to my one of the Cash Coverter to score the Macgegor set I saw the other day.

blakey they were truly a great driver, deep in the face and only for the better player - hard to hit well.
    All I remember was that it went much further than my previous driver a Status Mk V. I guess I must have been an exceptional talent.

Of course, if you had a set of cobra mild steel blades in the bag as well, then really did have the best money could buy back then.
    I remember those well, my mate had them, but at that time i had the original Steel Eagles.
    --
    Handy-Cap

blakey, in about 1988 i was in the Drummonds store at Ringwood and they had a brand new set of Cobra Mild Steel irons in raw finish, like the rusty wedges they made at the time. The most beautiful things I had ever seen, and I have never seen a set since. They wanted $400 for them and I only had $200 on me. I had to catch the train back to Hawthorn and raid the piggy bank, and by the time I got back there the next day they were gone. I have regretted not buying them every day since.

Norman played them for years and reckoned they were the best irons he ever hit. Ogle, Moore and plenty of others had them too. This is the sort of stuff the should re-release to the market.

I still have the putter from my first set, which was old when I got them. It is one of those old hockey stick shaped putters and has Reg Whitcombe (I think thats how it's spelt) on it.

I contemplated using today actually, as I found it when I was cleaning my shed yesty

I've just bought a set of Golfsmith Forged blade heads on Ebay ... I've got some Louisville persimmons at home ... Now, as for the putter ... I've got my dad's Ping Zing from the early 80's. Does that count as old school? Oh, and I suppose I have to leave my 73 degree wedge out of the bag, huh?

This is the sort of stuff the should re-release to the market.
    I am surprised we dont see many of these old clubs on ebay or in the stores. Its not as if they are biodegradable

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    I still have the putter from my first set
    I still use the putter from my first set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I've just bought a set of Golfsmith Forged blade heads on Ebay
    How old are they, Golfsmith was still selling that model name up to about 2 years ago, but yeah I think they had a really old model as well, pics?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information