Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default 2008 Qld Matchplay discussion/nominations

Qld matchplay this year - entries close Friday the 11th.
    I'll do a draw that night. The names will be pulled out of a hat. Any byes in the first round will be given to those drawn first. Maybe I'll do it live and spread out over the night, just posting each result as they are drawn, for the fun of it!

Completion dates for each round will probably be the same as last year. There should be enough time to get the matches done. Remember, you only need yourself and your opponent available, it doesn't have to be on a specific ozgolf for this. Any agreed on course will suffice (except putt putt and par 3 courses ).

1 BrisVegas
    2 golfer69
    3 peter_rs
    4 dc68
    5 AndyP
    6 Rusty
    7 poidda
    8 jarro
    9 kpac
    10 shazza_rs
    11 andylo
    12 Iain
    13 markTHEblake
    14 PeteyD
    15 nudgee
    16 goughy
    17 damoocow
    18 Gaz
    19 just
    20 BrisWesty
    21 MoeNorman
    22 steverawlo
    23 rocket
    24 Perci
    25 Shavey
    26 Kristofor

I'll post up any other info as it's decided!

Sorry Mark, not trying to jump over your post here. Just thought I'd find a fixed place to put this.

Just tossing this idea around. I notice that the NSW group dont have a problem organising their matchplay, but the QLD group efforts have been not as good, though 2007 does seem better than last year.

I reckon that this is because NSW have 16 people that are really keen. In Qld we have about 20 odd that are really keen, and the rest are so so, as we really had to recruit to get it up to 32 or thereabouts.

Its really important that anybody that nominates for this *must* be able to commit to play every game on time. This is the same rule that applies in our own clubs.

To put it simply, I think we need to get rid of the dreaded forfeit.

Here are my suggestions for next year;

- must nominate themselves. If we have to chase them, then obviously they are not committed.
    - limiting the field to 16, and use the POTY to seed the players, as this is a good indication of commitment to Ozgolf days.
    - a forfeit is a forfeit. no second chances.
    - a forfeit comes with an incentive - they are out of next years matchplay.

If too many keen players are left out of a top 16, we can do a top 12, and have the rest play off somehow for the remaining 4. I think a fireball matchplay day would sort that one out quick smart. (one Ozgolf day, everyone plays everyone in matchplay. most wins get you in) That will also sort out who is committed and who is not.

If people miss out because we use the POTY, obviously they were not committed to Ozgolf the previous 12 months. That might sound harsh because it might be work, or personal commitments that prevented that, BUT its those same bloody commitments that cause the forfeits, right
    Last edited by goughy; 6th January 2008 at 09:19 AM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

$20 to nominate! Winner takes all!

$640 up for grabs will make people committed!

wow - laying down the rules blake.

what about new entry ie - me this year? I was happy to play where and when possible - andy and i played 3 times in our allocated time period to decide a victor - i'm sure there are other people that'll join ozgolf that'll be plenty commited, and wouldn't want to wait around a year before they get a crack at the matchplay.

Why not just let people nominate and see what numbers we get before axing the field down to 16.

other than that i think it's agood idea to be more ruthless with the timing and cut-off/forfeits
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

poidda that is pure genius mate.
    Golflink
    Tour Edge Exotics 9*|Titleist pt15*|KingCobra sz 5w|Adams A2 5-P|Hogan 54*-Clev 900 60*-feel 64*|Scotty Studio Stainless Newport

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

you haven't talked about walkovers. I noticed there are a few in the NSW results.

Also, something like a "feed-in" tourney for the first round losers might be fun. I know from my tennis days, I typically faced a top seed in the first round and got smashed. If it wasn't for the feed-in, I wouldn't have gotten much tennis. (fwiw, I usually played Coffs_Hacker in the feed-in and got beaten anyway, but at least I got two matches!)

We should do everything possible to get at least two matches for those who want to be involved.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

i didn't think we ha that many walkovers this year ...

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

if you don't finish inside 18 holes, please have a playoff instead of repeating the same match 3 times!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    if you don't finish inside 18 holes, please have a playoff instead of repeating the same match 3 times!
    not always that easy to walk back down the 18th with others playing behind you in a comp
    Golflink

there are many ways to have a playoff.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Blog Entries

Putting challenge!!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Putting challenge!!
    like i'd agree to that!

like what moe? maybe where handicaps are all level etc you could have a quick chip off or similar - and even the playoff hole can make handicaps a little bias...

I would have been happy to play one extra hole to find a winner (but that could have kept going for a while if you kept halving holes) is there a countback method to matchplay?
    Golflink

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by poidda View Post
    $20 to nominate! Winner takes all!

$640 up for grabs will make people committed!

$400 and $200 for first and second then $20 for 3 & 4 and it could be great.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

goughy

I would be one of the people who would have trouble if the poty results were used as I just can't play enough ozgolf games to get anywhere in the results. But I would have made any game I needed to to play the matchplay.

I really don't know what might be the best system, other than taking people at their word that they will be able to make any game.

If you notice, this is the first year I have competed in the matchplay. I've known in the past that it was going to be very difficult (but not impossible) for me to make every game, especially if I made it to the final. So I didn't enter. Plain and simple. This year is the only one I was gonna make any game I needed to no matter what, including the final at the champs (if that's when it is) so that's why I entered this year.

To me, this is the plain and simple thinking needed if you enter the matchplay. Can't give it 100%, don't enter. That includes all dates up to and the final.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman View Post
    It's a fair comment, IF it was holding up the matchplay, and if there was another way to complete it during a comp. We continued to play because we knew that our availability wasn't a problem, and because we enjoyed the experience of matchplay.

I completely agree with only having those that are 100% committed playing. It's unfortunate for those not based locally, but it's the best logistical solution.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I completely agree with only having those that are 100% committed playing. It's unfortunate for those not based locally, but it's the best logistical solution.
    Is it feasible to incorporate some virtual matchplay for the remotely-based players? It could be a good way to include more members who aren't fortunate enough to be based close to each other. I'm sure there are plenty of other members who would like to be more involved in the big events.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

virtual matchplay?!

come on!
    Moe Norman

I say can it, too hard

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

AndyP & I went to the 19th hole (10th hole again) to sort out our Windaroo game last year, but Shavey and I played for 36 holes (tied after 18 at Wynnum Cup). Both options depended upon circumstances. If it's still tied after 36, there probably needs to be sudden death or similar - eg nearest the pin from 40m to the practice green - any number of ways to play a sudden death, but it needs to be an agreed solution between the players.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

anything other than heading down the 19th hole is really an inequitable situation if the handicaps are not fairly even, so it will often be really hard to work something out that is fair.

Going down the 19th is often not an option as we are visitors at most golf courses, though I am sure most wouldnt mind if it was late afternoon.

The only thing i can think of that might be fair is something sudden death, like nearest the pin on a chip or putt. No Handicap involved but the higher handicap chooses. He can then go for one of his strengths, and that should even it up.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Soooooo....who's going to nominate to play next year and is 100% committed?

1. AndyP

1. AndyP
    2.peter_rs
    3.Shazza_rs

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

1. AndyP
    2.peter_rs
    3.Shazza_rs
    4. andylo

Blog Entries

1. AndyP
    2.peter_rs
    3.Shazza_rs
    4.andyBlo
    5.PeteyD

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Nope, I won't be playing in this next year.

as long as you play the holes in the same order as your opponents

everyone is welcome, and jarro needs a rematch
    Last edited by peter_rs; 10th December 2007 at 09:52 AM.

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

Thread Information