Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Golfers Elbow

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BrisVegas View Post
    It's been getting steadily worse for 2 months now, and I just decided (at Courty's urging) to go see if there was something really wrong with it. I figured it was probably arthritis or tendonitis or something that nurofen would fix.

Yeah, I think I did it hitting too many punch shots. then every subsequent game of golf has aggravated it. I've noticed lately that after two or three shots on the range before a game, the pain returns.
    Dion - I think I am getting a similar injury/feel as you have described - started about halfway through yesterdays round and woke up this morning and left wrist is really painful - how much of a rest did it take to recover in your case ?

and while I think of it - this thread has some hilarious posts - just and timbo - well done !

I repeat - find a good masseuse or physio. Drugs just mask the pain.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I started suffering from tennis elbow in my left arm like jimandr quite a few months ago. Stupidly I'd been swinging a weighted club indoors left handed (one handed) in order to improve my strength, but instead was contributing to overuse injury. I started on a course of Celebrex and also traditional physiotherapy that did very little for the pain. I probably went to the physio 6-8 time with no effect.

I was complaining about my condition at work and one of the guys, who plays very high level basketball, suggested that I see Mike Badke. The guy who recommended him has sent many of his athlete friends to see Mike with all sorts of muscular complaints from elbow problems all the way to shin splints with supposedly miraculous results.

I'd been in pain for so long and had had so little improvement that I thought I'd give Mike a go. He does something called active release therapy (you can probably Google this). I was probably in, for the first time, for a total of 30 minutes which included a short clinical history then about 15-20 minutes of therapy. Even after the very first treatment I found dramatic improvement in my pain. I ended up going 4 times over the next 2-3 weeks and I can now go to the driving range (hard rubber mats) and hit balls without an elbow brace and with no pain.

I am medically trained, though I no longer work as a doctor, and am amazed (actually astounded) at how effective this therapy has been.

A link to the place is below (they are located in the city) and I highly recommend going if you haven't found something that works and, like me, want to avoid cortisone injectons.

http://www.cityclinic.com.au/index.p...w&id=122%22%3E

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl View Post
    I repeat - find a good masseuse or physio. Drugs just mask the pain.

The local masseuse in my area offers something called 'full service'. Would this include the upper forearm and elbow?

Thanks very much to Kwantfm for his advice. I'm just going to rest it and icepack it for a few weeks to see what happens. But if there is no progress, then the City Clinic will be getting my custom.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

I'm in this boat, but I'm still suspect about my left elbow from an indoor soccer tumble from the last day of work at a job several years ago (I went base over apex). In the last little while it's been getting quite sore - oddly enough with very little golf being played these days (subconsciously a good thing?!).
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sounds like you all should start posting at the bowls forum

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Sounds like you all should start posting at the bowls forum
    Didn't know there was one but it appears you know it well

I think it is probably time to post an update to my progress regarding my ailment.

After very little improvement the week after I first posted, I bit the bullet and made a booking with Mike Badke at the City Clinic in Sydney (4 shops away from the Golfmart in York St), as recommended by Kwantfm.

As K described, the first session was about 30 min, with a fair bit of diagnostic work, then a bit of treatment.

The first thing to say is that my personal diagnosis was correct. Tennis Elbow it is. Mike told me it would probably take two or three sessions to see any real progress, but then if it started to improve, it would probably only need another 3 or 4.

Lo and behold, he was almost spot on. I have been going twice a week for two and a bit weeks. After 5 sessions, I am almost fixed, and I'll only go once next week. He suggested that unless I did something to aggravate it in the meantime, the next one might be the last one.

I've never been to a chiropractor before, so I don't know what normal chiro's or physio's do to treat this thing. But the essential treatment principle was for me to flex my wrist and make a fist while he put a lot of pressure on various parts of my arm. He would move up and down my arm while I flexed and stretched it. He's paid a fair bit of attention to my wrist, and seems to think that the lack of flexibility of the wrist has partially caused compensating stress on the upper forearm and elbow.

Look up 'active release therapy' on google, and it sounds a bit like a snake oil remedy. But I'm a believer.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Bugger was hoping this would go for a few more weeks
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

He's nervous, Jim... 8&7!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

jimandr, glad to hear everything is going well. I've had three rounds of golf since therapy without elbow brace and without pain.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Dion - I think I am getting a similar injury/feel as you have described - started about halfway through yesterdays round and woke up this morning and left wrist is really painful - how much of a rest did it take to recover in your case ?
    Damo, I took a few weeks off and it felt better. I still have it and haven't found a cure for it yet, although the ice pack idea might have merit.

I've played a bit more golf lately and went to the range last night and my wrist is really hurting this morning. I think I'll take some nurofen pills & gel on the weekend to get me through the champs.

I have pretty constant wrist pain and I think it's probably carpal tunnel syndrome from driving a mouse for a living. The golf just aggravates things.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Blog Entries

Yeah Right, I am the man with nothing to lose remember. Jim has it all against him.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Nothing to lose? You have the final of the NSW Ozgolf Matchplay Championship to lose. Some people only get one shot at a title like that, many will get none.

This is your defining moment Grunt. The question is this: will you define it, or will it define you?!

Gee, talk about a tense final.

Will Grunt be able to swing at all under this much pressure??? Will Jim fold under the importance of the occasion???

Will golf be the winner???

13 days to D day.

Pumped.

Blog Entries

Nothing to lose? You have the final of the NSW Ozgolf Matchplay Championship to lose. Some people only get one shot at a title like that, many will get none.

This is your defining moment Grunt. The question is this: will you define it, or will it define you?!
    Are you serious? it is a game with bragging rights and that is about it. Defining moment? I don't think so.
    I have had many defining moments in my life and golf is not one of them. Competing at the top level in Australian Sailing is one. I failed at the top level there when I had a chance to win, I came 3rd. I missed that chance but this game is no where near that. I also had an event where I did not know if I would live past 36, the birth of my daughter at 31 weeks and looking at her on breathing gear and in a humidy crib for 2 weeks with out the chance to hold her.

There is more to life than NSW OzGolf Matchplay.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Ummm....

You didn't think I was actually f**king serious, did you?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Ummm....

You didn't think I was actually f**king serious, did you?
    well, i sure didn't.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

My sarcasm detector was beeping loudly.

Wrong thread for a matchplay discussion, boys.

Bris, I don't know whether there is an 'active release therapy' practitioner in Brisbane. But if there is, it is worth a look. Carpal Tunnel isn't too much different from tennis elbow. They are both overuse injuries, so the treatment may work for it as well. I'll ask my guy next Thursday for his opinion.

I have just started getting Tennis Elbow in my lead (left arm), as well as inflammation in my lead wrist, primarily thumb/forefinger side. The wrist started first a couple months ago and getting worse. I think this might be similar cause that a tennis player will get from a backhand stroke.

I *think* this is all caused by gripping way to hard with thumb and forefinger at around impact position, and simultaneously losing the grip between ring/small finger and butt of the hand. Cause could be any one or more of poor grip, poor technique, another disability.

Obviously the treatments for inflammations are well known, rest, ice and all that shite. Interested to know if anyone has solved their golfers/tennis elbow by changing their technique?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I have just started getting Tennis Elbow in my lead (left arm), as well as inflammation in my lead wrist, primarily thumb/forefinger side. The wrist started first a couple months ago and getting worse. I think this might be similar cause that a tennis player will get from a backhand stroke. I *think* this is all caused by gripping way to hard with thumb and forefinger at around impact position, and simultaneously losing the grip between ring/small finger and butt of the hand. Cause could be any one or more of poor grip, poor technique, another disability. Obviously the treatments for inflammations are well known, rest, ice and all that shite. Interested to know if anyone has solved their golfers/tennis elbow by changing their technique?
    I had what you describe for years. A lighter grip for me, kept it at bay. The cure, for me, was a bit ‘out there’ and I wouldn’t recommend it. Forget the ice.
    Last edited by Hard_Pan; 8th January 2022 at 01:44 PM.

Thread Information