Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default A matter of opinion.

I am a little concerned in what direction this forum is heading in relation to threads being deleted just because ones views are not the same as our administrators and moderators. I thought the whole idea of the site was to talk golf gear, a subject of many opinions and ‘rights’, when taking into account individual preferences, skills and budgets.

Wouldn’t it be a boring forum if we all used the same clubs and agreed with what one another said all the time? I enjoy the banter we bounce off one another, especially knowing that most is said in fun and is very light hearted.

I think the one of the many qualities of this forum is the fact that there are so many different personalities and views, that we all can draw on in times of need. Perhaps in order to protect this quality we need some ‘black and white’ guidelines, as many other forums have (be it golf or other), so that we all know where the boundaries are? I also think that if guidelines or site rules are written they should be made by all of us, in a public manner and therefore continue to support the initial notion of this forum as a public and free place to air out views. Simply put, if we understand the boundaries, there is less chance of us upsetting the few.

Furthermore and to clarify my stance, I don’t think any boundaries have been crossed in the deleted threads, explanation of why it was deleted would be appreciated.

I have copped my far share of ribbing on this forum for one reason or another (as have many of us). To me that is just part n parcel of when a heap of mates get together, which I consider have made quite a few good mates since I started posting. It’s no different to copping a sledging on the golf course or copping it sitting around a table at a pub with your mates. Most time I think I give as good as I get. I have learnt with you guys if something is going against me, I just stop posting and giving you more fuel for the fire, simple.

We have a good thing happening here, let’s keep it that way. I can’t see why we all can’t take the good with the bad, because to me the good far out weigh the bad.

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I agree

Which threads got deleted did I miss something

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Request for this thread to be deleted has been submitted.

I agree for the most part.

I also think that if guidelines or site rules are written they should be made by all of us, in a public manner and therefore continue to support the initial notion of this forum as a public and free place to air out views.
    I'm sure we can have some input into the guidelines, but at the end of the day it is the administrators and moderators that have to enforce them. So they should have the last say on what our guidelines are.

Suggestion No 1: There is to be no cleavage (female or male) in avatars.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Agreed most of above.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    Suggestion No 1: There is to be no cleavage (female or male) in avatars.
    I've missed the boat here, i have no idea about what was deleted and why, and to be honest I don't really care that much (note that i'm not trying to skittle your plight here Tex).

But i've got to say one thing - i hope that emoticon you chucked in there AP was meant to say "I am being sarcastic" - because otherwise I might have to say - "You've got to be f**king kidding me". Hypothetically, of course.

Give a little, take a little. Build a bridge. Got a hit some golf balls, come back here and tell us how you went. We'll either give you $hit, or we won't
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I now feel very cheated, anyone care to share ?? , noting no administrators or the like have posted in this thread

nothing to see here ... move along

Let's not go taking ourselves too seriously here folks, it is a place to come and talk crap after all .... let's keep it that way

Peace brothers
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    I now feel very cheated, anyone care to share ??
    Not really, except I will tell you that the thread deleted was the one relating to Iain using the Pings.

noting no administrators or the like have posted in this thread
    it looks "the like" has just popped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Suggestion No 1:
    But i've got to say one thing - i hope that emoticon you chucked in there AP was meant to say "I am being sarcastic" - because otherwise I might have to say - "You've got to be f**king kidding me". Hypothetically, of course.
    You're right. I'll amend it.

1. There is to be no cleavage (female or male or dinosaurs) in avatars.

2. There should be no picture of toddler holding a trophy belonging to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    I now feel very cheated, anyone care to share ??
    Not really, except I will tell you that the thread deleted was the one relating to Iain using the Pings.
    WHY???
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Trung
    2. There should be no picture of toddler holding a trophy belonging to someone else
    I'll take another picture without him holding it, if this one offends you.
    Alternatively, I can put the old one back, because he wasn't a toddler then.

Thanks for explaining it, g69. I didn't really want to go into it or couldn't be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69
    Is there any way you can get a pic of the trophy with Judd's missus ?
    Maybe. But I would have to get her to hold it in front of the split in her dress, to avoid being offensive.

on the Ping thread, complaining that the Ping content
    point proven, I saw the word Ping and moved on straight away thus why I didn't miss anything then

Hi Guys

I want to clarify a few things with regards to threads being deleted.

There is one particular thread that related to members of another forum which had some derogatory comments about members of that forum. It has been said from the outset that disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated on this forum. Ribbing is one thing but calling names or being disrespectful is another thing altogether.

I want make it clear right here and now that it was me that deleted the above thread as it simply did not belong on this forum.

With regards to the thread that was deleted last night. In my opinion it shouldn't have been. I did not read the offensive post but having spoken to goughy it did sound as if it was pretty close to crossing the line. In that case, it should have been the one post that was deleted not the whole thread.

I have been moderating email lists and forums for 5 years now and have had to handle and moderate quite a few disaggreements. The key to moderating is to remain objective. This is something that is very hard to do when you are directly involved or when you are close friends with those the disagreement involves.

With people from many different walks of life and with many different opinions, it is inevitable that at times opinions will clash. The key is to remain respectful to other people whos opinions are different from yours.

At this point I have decided that the best way to handle this and to prevent situations like these from happening from future is to take over the administrative duties myself. It is easier for me to remain impartial and having been moderating for 5 years I have gotten plenty of practise at remaining objective ensuring the fairest outcome for all involved.

I have decided for this reason as webmistress I will remove goughy and jaster as administrators and jarro as moderator. I will install a reporting system onto the forum so that if there is a post that a reader finds offensive they can report it to me and I will take appropriate action.

I have a set of rules written for the email lists that I moderate and I will adapt these to suit the ozgolf forum.

With regards to the avatars. As a female viewing the forums, while you can see avatars such as those currently being displayed on magazines that is irrelevant. This is a GOLF forum and as a female I find it rather annoying having to view such avatars all the time. If it annoys me it is likely it annoys other females as well. I am sure many of you would feel the same if I used a revealing photo of a male for my avatar? If it were only me that the avatars annoyed, I would not consider it an issue but the fact that the matter gets brought up over and over again tells me that others find it offensive also. For this reason I will be including rules about avatars in my forum guidleines and would appreciate if those who have avatars with revealing cleavage that they be removed ASAP.

In future any posts which I find unclear in their meaning, that is if it is not obviously ribbing, and I believe to be disrespectful of your fellow ozgolf members it will be removed. If it appears ambiguous to me there is no doubt it would be ambiguous to others as well. Out right slanging simply will not be tolerated and depending on the severity posts will either be removed or the member in question will be removed after a warning.

Once I have put together the guidelines I will post them in the 19th hole where they will remain for all to see.

Regards
    Robyn
    (ozgolf admin)

Thanks Robyn - cleavage avatars just make it harder for new ladies to join us.

nice work....
    agree with all...but how much "ribbing" is too much "ribbing"???

so again - when did this happen???
    Quote Originally Posted by clikchic
    There is one particular thread that related to members of another forum which had some derogatory comments about members of that forum. It has been said from the outset that disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated on this forum.
    My PGC Handicap

WITB Sept 2010
    Currently Undecided: Ping G10 or BStone J33R
    Currently Undecided: Cally Fusion 3W or Cally Steelhead III 3+W or Titleist 904F
    Currently Undecided: King Cobra 2300IM or Cally X20 Tour
    Switch BTW: TM RAC 52/58 & Cleve RTG 53/58
    Wilson TPA Blade

Senior Member Major Winner

Hooley dooley... with a post like that, and a signature with fairies and teddy bears....

Are you bi-polar CC?

Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

That was weird - I posted - but then it appears as a quote - and now there is extra text there!

I am not going crazy (I don't think)

Wow, thats an awful lot of words to read clic...can someone cut to the chase and tell me if the red dressed avatar has to go ?
    And can I keep sledging andyp about orange shirts ?
    Yes the red dress avatar has to go.
    You can keep sledging Andippy as long as it's friendly

And can I keep sledging andyp about orange shirts ?
    Only if it is not about low-cut orange shirts.

Now that the avatars are going, what am I meant to stir you guys about?

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    Thanks Robyn - cleavage avatars just make it harder for new ladies to join us.
    I agree Amanda! The more the merrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Hooley dooley... with a post like that, and a signature with fairies and teddy bears....

Are you bi-polar CC?

Cue Twilight zone music! ......

Lisa Dergan have been chopped in half.. .

Now hope to see more sexy female golfers joining this forum :P

Thread Information