Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I did some research after buying mine.

It had originally been listed on FB Marketplace for $3k more than I paid.

So the dealer must have bought it, detailed, relisted and put his margin on. And then sold to me.

I assume a $2k margin, as the Canberra market was cooked after last year we lost 35000 cars in one hailstorm
    That’s exactly what happens.

They are on FBM and Gumtree non stop trying to find anything they can sell.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I was in the market for a new or near new car this year for the missus, although open to a low km 5 year old car, but I'm gathering that now is not a good time unfortunately.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

We gave up on second hand. Decent cars are expensive here at the moment. Took the risk with the MGs given the price etc. 7 year warranty. Hard to justify 14k for a 2012 Cerato when a new MG3 is 16k.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    OK, so looking for a car for Kyan now. So what sort of K's are acceptable in older cars? Less than 20k/year over it's age? He's keen on a 2008 Lancer that has 230k on the clock. But it's less than $5k. Would either get an racq inspection, or taken to our mechanics for a check over.
    too much, I sold my 2008 Lancer with 150k for $2600 couple months ago, had some hail damage (hardly noticeble until you know its there). IMO with 230k is worth nowhere near 'less than $5k'
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I was in the market for a new or near new car this year for the missus, although open to a low km 5 year old car, but I'm gathering that now is not a good time unfortunately.
    Some used cars are selling for more than they would new.

My coworker just sold his used Audi (was a few years old) for $7K more than he paid for it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    too much, I sold my 2008 Lancer with 150k for $2600 couple months ago, had some hail damage (hardly noticeble until you know its there). IMO with 230k is worth nowhere near 'less than $5k'
    On average, used car prices have jumped 25-30% in the past year.

My dumb landcruiser rocketed up in value.
    I should sell it as I have only driven it 1000km in 12 months, and that includes two 300km trips to Coolum to visit the inlaws. It tows the boat 900m to the ramp and back, occasionally.

So a used car is an investment, and not a depreciating asset now? Awesome!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Some used cars are selling for more than they would new.

My coworker just sold his used Audi (was a few years old) for $7K more than he paid for it last year.
    Demo Stinger GT for immediate delivery was advertised in Melbourne for $75k this week.
    List price is $72k.

Wait time for Stinger GT - 6 months, and its only going to get worse.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Well, it drives like a dream. Only two owners, he says, but the log book was updated to late 2018. He says he's a diesel mechanic and said he did his own services. No signs of oil leaks. Some Sun spots in the paint, but not too many for its age. Not that I know much about cars. Our mechanic can't look at it till Friday, and naturally I'm a bit busy that day. Our get racq to look at it. Rwc being done tomorrow arvo. Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Demo Stinger GT for immediate delivery was advertised in Melbourne for $75k this week.
    List price is $72k.

Wait time for Stinger GT - 6 months, and its only going to get worse.
    Agreed.

Can’t see wait times getting better any time soon.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Agreed. Can’t see wait times getting better any time soon.
    I'm looking at changing over my dual cab ute for a Toyota Prado and the local dealer has said don't expect it before August.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    I'm looking at changing over my dual cab ute for a Toyota Prado and the local dealer has said don't expect it before August.
    That’s not too bad. With the issues getting the microprocessor chips, there are going to be some massive blowouts.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

About as painful as going to the dentist, I have to buy a replacement vehicle after the old Falcon was wiped out by an octagenarian who front ended me a couple of weeks ago. Have narrowed down what I'm after, either a Mazda CX5 or a Hyundai Tuscon, can't go much bigger as I have height issues in my garage.

Any thoughts on the two I'm looking at or any other mid sizes I should be looking at. I will likely do under 5000kms pa, so will look at one with 20-40k on the clock.

Attached Images

My mechanic always recommends Japanese cars, excluding Nissan, although he probably carries old biases against the Korean cars from when they first came to Australia.

On this topic, we just picked up a brand new Mazda CX-30 yesterday. It is the first car purchased for over a decade, and our first new car since 2004. So many features!! With my oldest son being 18, we are not a three car family. The wife gets the new CX-30, I will take the Mazda 6 wagon, and the boy gets my Mazda 323 SP-20, which will hopefully get recycled in a few years for the second boy.

We decided the CX-5 was too big now that the boys hardly travel with us, and we all go our separate ways.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Both good cars, I’m biased towards the Korean cars as I have one

Tractor Boys

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

We just replaced our 2015 CX5 in for another new one. It is the Wife's. She averages 10k p.a. Can't fault them from a reliability and cost of ownership point of view. We traded the 2015 for 60% of new price, so retained value is high as well. They are considered the Driver's car in the Segment. As Andy says buy Japanese (ex Nissan) is as good starting point. I have no direct ownership experience, but the Koreans certainly seem to be up there now. They do score well in customer surveys.

Re Garage clearances, just be aware that the Tailgate opening height might be an issue. We adjusted ours lower, so it doesn't hit our Tilt Door. But it is a bit of PITA still.

The CX60 will be out later in the year. It will be bigger, have Hybrid options and larger (6 Cylinder) engine options. It will also likely be substantially more expensive.

Korean cars are absolutely fine now. It's China that I'd be avoiding.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

It's China that I'd be avoiding.
    And VWs.

Our Mexican Tiguan just has stupid things go wrong with it.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

We got 2 MGs. The mg3 my daughter drives is solid as. No issues and 7 year warranty. The mg hs has the odd software issue with the gearbox. They have updated it each service. Currently running best it has. Another 7 year warranty.

Second hand which we were looking at could not compare for value and warranty at the time. And I believe prices for these have gone up a little, along with second hand cars.

Neither is a great drivers car but they are a car that works well. Both over 1 year old now.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

We've been happy with our 2014 Mazda 6, cept for the infotainment system. I'm not sure what the newer Mazda Connect is like, but I hear it's not super fantastic. But much better than the NB1 in mine. When we can, I'll be swapping it out for an Android powered system.
    Other than that, it's been a great, solid car. We'll want to run it into the ground.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Major Winner

Sub 5,000km a year, Uber.

Or a Sportage.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    We got 2 MGs. The mg3 my daughter drives is solid as. No issues and 7 year warranty. The mg hs has the odd software issue with the gearbox. They have updated it each service. Currently running best it has. Another 7 year warranty.

Second hand which we were looking at could not compare for value and warranty at the time. And I believe prices for these have gone up a little, along with second hand cars.

Neither is a great drivers car but they are a car that works well. Both over 1 year old now.
    Due to inventory shortages, the market is basically - new cars at RRP, any recent used cars at close to what new formerly sold for. Used prices have increased 20-30% in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    We've been happy with our 2014 Mazda 6, cept for the infotainment system. I'm not sure what the newer Mazda Connect is like, but I hear it's not super fantastic. But much better than the NB1 in mine. When we can, I'll be swapping it out for an Android powered system.
    Other than that, it's been a great, solid car. We'll want to run it into the ground.
    The infotainment unit is crap. I've got one and speak from experience. I'm getting the "ghost" touches on my touchscreen; random phone calls galore. Disconnecting the touch feature is pretty simple and is on my to do list. Another case of YouTube to the rescure.

Due to inventory shortages, the market is basically - new cars at RRP, any recent used cars at close to what new formerly sold for. Used prices have increased 20-30% in a lot of cases.
    Recent used cars can be more than new, can't they, because they are available now compared to a potentially long wait. FWIW we waited about 3 months for the CX-30.

Now problems with the entertainment unit in our Mazda6. The 6 stack CD player is still going fine......

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Recent used cars can be more than new, can't they, because they are available now compared to a potentially long wait. FWIW we waited about 3 months for the CX-30.

Now problems with the entertainment unit in our Mazda6. The 6 stack CD player is still going fine......
    Correct. People are selling used cars with 10&20K on the clock and getting more than they paid.

My coworker sold his spare car simply because he got $7K more than he paid the year prior. It’s a silly market.

Thread Information